j&js

Visiting Russia

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Hey guys

I've never posted on this forum before because my husband is from Ireland, but I was hoping you guys could help us out with something. We are planning a trip to Russia this summer. For non-citizens going into Russia, I know you need some kind of medical insurance to cross the border. For those of you who are non-Russian citizens who have visited there, how does this work? Does my usual HMO cover it? Do we need letters of proof? Do they really check this out? Any and all advice about travelling to Russia would be appreciated! TIA!

My fiance is from Vladimir Russia. I was there in Jan 07 for 8 days and March for 14 days 07. I will be going in May for 3 months. I bought insurance from Travalex for the first two times. After the fact, I read US citizens do not need medical insurance. The agency I got my visa from always told leave that question blank on visa application. Now I know why. But if you want insurance, I think I payed 50 or 60 bucks per trip.

Met Dec. 4 2006

1st visit to Russia - Jan. 23-30.

Engaged Jan. 24

CSC recieved and pending - NOA1 March 1

Touched- March 9 - recieved NOA1 hard copy in mail.

2nd visit - March 12 -27

Touched - May 23 (pleeeeeeeeeeeease)

APPROVED MAY 22 (On 5/25 I did the RFE trick and the CSC said it was approved 5/22. The dufus at USCIS was completely positive they were only working on Nov. 2006 petitions)

May 30th- Petition leaves CSC for NVC.

3rd visit - May 31 - August 31 ( If all goes well she will come home with me!!!)

Left NVC June 11th (I called everyday since 5/30 and they never recieved it??? Then on 6/13 I called and it was not only recieved but already sent to the embassy 6/11?? 

INTERVIEW 8/22

July 3rd-Recieved Packet

8/22 Interview was a sucess!!!

8/31 We arrive at JFK. Problem free entry.

10/26 Married!

1/15/08 Sent I-485

2/26 NOA

3/21 Biometrics Appointment

3/29 Received EAD Card

I had an appendectomy and everything was fine, but wow - if that had happened a few days earlier when I was in Russia it would have been a disaster! From what I've heard about hospitals in Russia I'd be nervous to go in for a routine checkup, let alone go under the knife for surgery. ....but I bet it's really not that bad, and if you bring enough cash with you for bribes you can certainly get top-notched care. ;)

Actually there are many good medical centers in Russia and most of them are covered by various insurance companies. No horrors whatsoever, very competent staff. What you've heard of probably pertains to the remaining state-sponsored institutions where the poorer Russians still go. Most of my friends and I, however, prefer paid medical care - and it's not that expensive.

Aug 2003 first icebreaker ;-)

2003 - 2006 letters, letters, letters

Aug 2006 met at regatta in Greece

03/20/2007 I-129f mailed to TSC

08/06/2007 NOA-2, 118 days from the 1st notice.

10/24/2007 Interview in Moscow, visa approved

12/06/2007 Entered at JFK, got EAD stamp.

01/25/2008 Married in St. Augustine, FL

02/19/2008 AOS package mailed

09/30/2008 AOS interview - APPROVED!

10/11/2008 Green card in the mail

01/14/2009 Our little girl, Fiona Elizabeth, was born on Jan. 14, 2009 :-)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Hey guys

I've never posted on this forum before because my husband is from Ireland, but I was hoping you guys could help us out with something. We are planning a trip to Russia this summer. For non-citizens going into Russia, I know you need some kind of medical insurance to cross the border. For those of you who are non-Russian citizens who have visited there, how does this work? Does my usual HMO cover it? Do we need letters of proof? Do they really check this out? Any and all advice about travelling to Russia would be appreciated! TIA!

Your HMO MAY cover you overseas, I did not check with my medical insurance, I found a travel insurance policy that was only $15 for the 8 days I was traveling...

They did not check this information in Vladivostok, where I entered Russia and I had no problems though I spent my time with my (then) future wife in her home town and in Vladivostok.

I wish I could return and visit other places such as St. Pete's or Moscow but Olga's immigration had all our disposable income occupied atm.

As for advice about traveling there, it would be helpful to know what part you were planning on visiting since I could help with the far east but am clueless about the rest of Russia.

Also not sure how much, if any Russian you know but the immigration forms (similar to the US form I-94) were only available in Russian but there was a man there with me that said in Moscow he was able to get these forms in English.

Lst time i went I had to send into the counsel a copy of insurance for foreign travel before i got the visa. It was cheap thopugh.

filed 129 with vermont 4/19/06

first notice 5/3/06?

IMRA RFE 6/19/06

snail mail RFE 6/22/06

returned 6/22/06

email they recieved 6/26/06

second RFE email 7/11/06

recieved 7/22

returned 7/24

touched 7/25

APProved 10/02/06

NVC sent to Moscow 10/17/06

package from Embassy 11/17/06

interview 01/11/07

approved visa 01/11/07

arrived 02/7/07

married 04/13/07

filed AOS 05/13/07

biometrics 06/06/07

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Hey guys

My fiance is from Vladimir Russia. I was there in Jan 07 for 8 days and March for 14 days 07. I will be going in May for 3 months. I bought insurance from Travalex for the first two times. After the fact, I read US citizens do not need medical insurance. The agency I got my visa from always told leave that question blank on visa application. Now I know why. But if you want insurance, I think I payed 50 or 60 bucks per trip.

I think I paid $30. I already have insurance, but in a real emergency, I'd want to be flown back to the US. (Plan on this costing ~$100,000, so plan accordingly).

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.