jennaleigh

K1 Visa - Will I need to get a sponsor?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, my fiancee is the Canadian. We got NOA2 a few days ago so now trying to plan ahead.

I heard Montreal wants your last few years' worth of tax returns...and it's January, so I'm not going to be able to give them this past year's, when I started my first "real" job (I am a teacher and make $34k a year). Prior to that, I was a college student and either unemployed/working part-time retail jobs.

I'm not rich by any means but I currently make plenty to support her and be over the poverty guidelines. I'm just concerned that they will see my taxes where that job isn't on there and be worried because I didn't make over the poverty guidelines then.

I will of course have proof of my current job - paystubs, letter from my employer, etc. I have been working since August when the school year started.

Do I need to be concerned? Thanks.

Oh, and even if there's a delay and I do have time to give them this past year's tax return, it wouldn't be enough to be over the poverty guidelines since I started in August.

I-129F Mailed: 11/16/2015

I-129F Received/NOA1: 11/18/2015

Check Cashed: 11/23/2015

Touched: 11/24/2015

NOA2 Email/Text: 01/04/2016

NOA2 Hard Copy: 01/08/2016

NVC Received Case: 01/13/2016

Received Case Number (FINALLY! Long story...): 03/07/2016

Sent Packet 3 Paperwork: 04/20/2016

Packet 4 Received: 04/20/2016

Medical: 06/09/2016

Interview: 06/29/2016 - Approved!!!

POE (Toronto): 08/03/2016

Married!!!: 08/26/2016

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, my fiancee is the Canadian. We got NOA2 a few days ago so now trying to plan ahead.

I heard Montreal wants your last few years' worth of tax returns...and it's January, so I'm not going to be able to give them this past year's, when I started my first "real" job (I am a teacher and make $34k a year). Prior to that, I was a college student and either unemployed/working part-time retail jobs.

I'm not rich by any means but I currently make plenty to support her and be over the poverty guidelines. I'm just concerned that they will see my taxes where that job isn't on there and be worried because I didn't make over the poverty guidelines then.

I will of course have proof of my current job - paystubs, letter from my employer, etc. I have been working since August when the school year started.

Do I need to be concerned? Thanks.

Oh, and even if there's a delay and I do have time to give them this past year's tax return, it wouldn't be enough to be over the poverty guidelines since I started in August.

Hi,

Congrats on your NOA2! Her interview will likely still be 2-3 months away, so you may have time to get your return in for last year. Assuming you are going to interview at Montreal, they WILL ask your fiancee specifically for a copy of your most recent tax return, separately from the I-134. So definitely include that (either 2015 or 2014), even if it doesn't show sufficient income. But definitely do include the other proof you mentioned with the I-134, as that should be sufficient to show the CO that you will be able to support her.

Good luck!

September 2014 - Met

October 2014 - Started dating

May 2015 - Engaged!

July 18, 2015 - Mailed I-129F petition

July 21, 2015 - Received by USCIS lockbox

July 23, 2015 - Email/Text notification, NOA1 Notice Date - July 27, 2015 - Hardcopy NOA1

August 6, 2015 - NOA2, I-129F petition approved!

August 7, 2015 - Email notification of approval

August 12, 2015 - Hardcopy NOA2

September 3, 2015 - Case # received from NVC, case sent to Montreal

September 15, 2015 - CEAC status updated

September 15, 2015 3:41 PM - Packet 3 sent to consulate pre-emptively

September 15, 2015 3:51 PM - Packet 4 received! Interview scheduled!

November 23, 2015 - Interview - APPROVED!!

November 30, 2015 - CEAC status updated to Issued

December 3, 2015 - Ready for Pickup at Post Office

December 9, 2015 - Visa in hand!

January 10, 2016 - POE - Peace Bridge, Buffalo NY

January 23, 2016 - MARRIED! durring a blizzard in Brooklyn :)

February 5, 2016 - Mailed AOS/AP/EAD applications

Spoiler

February 15, 2016 - NOA1 texts/emails received - February 25, 2016 - NOA1 hardcopies (Notice Date: Feb 11)

March 9, 2016 - Biometrics

April 18, 2016 - EAD/AP Approved

July 15, 2016 - I-485 Approved! No interview

July 29, 2016 - Green card received in mail - Done with USCIS for 1 year 9 months!

April 25, 2018 - Mailed I-751 Removal of Conditions

Spoiler

May 18, 2018 - Received NOA1/12mo GC extension

June 20, 2018 - Biometrics

August 6, 2018 - Received 18mo GC extension

April 29, 2019 - Text notification "Card is in production"

May 2, 2019 - "We mailed your new card"

May 6, 2019 - 10 year GC received!

November 1, 2019 - N-400 filed online

October 23, 2020 - Oath Ceremony. Our journey is done after 5 years, 3 months and 5 days.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.