peejay

Dems fight plan to raise immigrant fees.

27 posts in this topic

I wonder if the fee increases will result in a measurably more efficient system.

I called the customer service number last week and was surprised that you are now able to talk with people who actually know what they're talking about. Unfortunately you still have to go through the "front line" call center staff who are still idiots and are still giving contradictory and inaccurate information.

That said $950 for an LPR application (up from $325) seems a bit steep to me...

The new fee ($950 or so) includes the AOS, EAD and AP.

The article quoted does not imply or state that, $325 is ONLY the AOS filing fee...so $325 to $950 is implied only for the AOS filing fee.

just my sleepy take on the subject!

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I wonder if the fee increases will result in a measurably more efficient system.

I called the customer service number last week and was surprised that you are now able to talk with people who actually know what they're talking about. Unfortunately you still have to go through the "front line" call center staff who are still idiots and are still giving contradictory and inaccurate information.

The article quoted does not imply or state that, $325 is ONLY the AOS filing fee...so $325 to $950 is implied only for the AOS filing fee.

just my sleepy take on the subject!

Right, but another reform they've discussed is eliminating AP and EAD applications and having those privileges granted automatically for those whose AOS is not approved after 90 days.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

$745 for nessa's aos, ap, and ead. so not a significant amount more imo.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

$745 for nessa's aos, ap, and ead. so not a significant amount more imo.

but from $575 for all but AP for Olga is quite a bit different and since we do not plan on any international travel until her AOS is done, why should I pay for it?

And what about those who do not care about work as the USC earns enough and the future LPR can wait to work? should they be required to pay 3X more then now just because?

Which, btw would be the category Olga and I would be if Olga didn't desperately want to work.

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

Timeline
But it doesn't give you the choice not to apply for some stuff. Rey didn't apply for AP

we felt it was best in her case just in case something happened in brazil that required her return.

like the new personal title btw :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Yet another thread twisted into the 'illegal aliens are the root of all evil?'

As for the fees, if they need to be jacked up, why not? It's not that big a hike. Not sure why they would bother to do it if it isn't necessary though. It's not like there's going to be some big 'profit' margin for the goverment to take advantage of now is it?

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

As for the fees, if they need to be jacked up, why not? It's not that big a hike. Not sure why they would bother to do it if it isn't necessary though. It's not like there's going to be some big 'profit' margin for the goverment to take advantage of now is it?

Not too much? Depending what you're applying for you could be paying up to $500 more than you would ordinarily. AOS and EAD is $505 currently (without Advance Parole).

Do the new fees include the additional biometrics stuff too? If not, that's $1000 for an LPR application...

Timeline

did you read the original post?

Also, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., and his allies said Wednesday that the federal government should fund the delivery of immigration services rather than make applicants pay the entire costs.

anyone remember the fiasco in the 80's of granting illegals status? who paid for that? who's gonna pay for it in the near future when our clueless politicians do it again? i think this is just the groundwork for sticking the taxpayer once again.

Amplifying the Washington message, the National Association of Latino Elected Officials protested the fee increases at news conferences Wednesday in Houston and other cities.

look who's complaining ;) and ask why :whistle:

Sen. John Cornyn, the Texan who is the top Republican on the Senate immigration subcommittee, said the burden should not shift to the taxpayer.

and i happen to agree with him.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

more pandering to the illegals.

As I stated...there is a method to this madness. Statistically immigrants tend to vote Democrat. Teddy Kennedy has legislation pending now in the US Senate to give amnesty and a pathway to citizenship for almost all the illegal aliens in America. And these lunatics want to put more sugar on the cream by having the taxpayer foot the bill for their citizenship. These people are insane...but not as insane as the fools that vote for them.

Cheap votes and cheap labor. The whole lot of these idiots need to be run out of office.

You got that right. People should start by not voting shifty lawyers into office or any other idiot for that matter.

As an immigrant it is interesting to see how Democrats jump on the 'issue of the month' to win ,aka buy, votes.. Republicans are by no means good Samaritans but at least they stick to their core beliefs and don't jump on the latest band-wagon..

Neo-Democrats would support the KGB and Iran if they knew it would win them votes.. Much like vultures, they prey on the weak and vulnerable. Promising a world of riches; which will never ever happen while illegal immigration grows, steals jobs from Americans and bankrupts small businesses who simply cannot compete with their cheap untaxed labor.

Edited by Infidel

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Erm, yes I did read the original post and while yes, in % terms it's going up hugely, in terms of what you actually pay, $900 ish? I mean seriously! What's your problem anyway? I don't agree that tax payers should pay for this and I do think it's an acceptable increase. So what?

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .