pinac

recent passport applications

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am wondering if anyone has any recent experience in getting a new passport while in the US.

From the passport canada web site they are saying that the current processing time is up to 9 weeks (45 business days), and I am wondering if anyone knows how accurate this is.

thanks

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Probably pretty accurate, I send mine in a month ago and haven't heard anything since. My parents checked it out for me before and said it was so swamped that it was expected to take up to 3 months or so...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Other Timeline

I've read of people camping out at passport offices just trying to get a new passport in the past month or two, and they'll stand there all day and not get in! They go back day after day until they get to the front of the line.

I imagine the mail-in isn't going to be much better. A bit more comfortable perhaps, but not any quicker!

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not sure about how long it takes from the US. I went to the Passpost office in Winnipeg to get my passport renewed on February 1st, waited there for just about 4 hours. The office opened @ 8am, and I arrived at about 8:15am. The security guard said that people were arriving daily at 6:00am to wait until the office opened. I received my brand new passport on February 21st in the mail... about 3 weeks, not bad.

I went on February 1st in Montreal. Told them I had a travel date mid-march.

I recieved my passport on Tuesday the 6th of March :)

Married! 03/19/2007

I-130 Process

10/30/2007 : APPROVED!!!! (in 190 days)

I-129f Process

10/30/2007 : APPROVED!!!! (in 151 days)

02/08/2008 : Interview (Approved!)

02/18/2008 : Visa in Hand :D

02/26/2008 : Moved to Colorado

I-751 Lifting of Conditions

06/01/2010 : Completed packet for I-751

06/04/2010 : Mailed packet via UPS

06/07/2010 : Receipt for I-751

08/18/2010 : Biometrics appointment

08/20/2010 : Approved

02/09/2011 : Contacted congressman due to non-receipt of card

03/28/2011 : Card received!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The passport situation in Canada is an absolute nightmare! what the website says is correct!

The passport office is getting 20.000 applications a day! They had to hire 200 people to help

out with the back load!

I live on Vancouver Island...people are lining up at the Victoria Passport office from midnight

on...get this...Passport applicants are paying Victoria's homeless people anywhere from

$100 to $300 to stand in line for them until the Passport office opens at 8:30 am then switch

places. One of my clients was standing in line and somebody offered her $300 to sell her

spot in line! That's how desperate the situation is!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ya, I read that online!! Damn I wish Iwas back in Victoria, couild make a few extra $$, lolOf course there are enough homelless that one would have to fight off, especially that grumpy guy in the wheelchair!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.