Zaurok

Flying with a bike

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Anyone of you flew out to the US with a bike when crossing with the K-1?

I was planning to buy one this month but I don't have a car and I heard you need to put the bike in a box. How the heck am I gonna move a box containing a bike alone? Is it small enough to carry around?

Will they give me a hard time if the bike is brand new?

Edited by Zaurok

[15-03-2006] NOA1

[27-03-2006] Touched? (The last modification was on that date. shrugs)

[30-06-2006] Received and sent the IMBRA RFE.

[11-07-2006] Touched --> USCIS received the IMBRA RFE.

[11-09-2006] NOA2!!

[22-11-2006] Montreal received DS-230 on/before November 22

[12-04-2007] Interview!!!

[13-04-2007] K-1 Visa issued after 13 months of waiting.

[19-05-2007] Wedding

[24-07-2007] Paperwork for AoS sent

[11-15-2007] Green Card received

1 year+ for a K-1 Visa. Who would've thought...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Best to contact the airline to see what their regulations are for bikes. Some might charge extra. One can always get one of those bag carts to haul ur bike around at airport

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

In some stores, you may be able to buy the bike "assembly required"--in which case you WILL get a box containing the parts.

(note: this approach means the store is being cheap-###)

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

I read that you need to have a bike boxed for airflights meaning I would need to take the bike appart to be able to put in a box. It's more the customs that I'm worried about.

In some stores, you may be able to buy the bike "assembly required"--in which case you WILL get a box containing the parts.

(note: this approach means the store is being cheap-###)

[15-03-2006] NOA1

[11-09-2006] NOA2!!

[19-05-2007] Wedding

i've flown with my bike several times to the US for races (drove over with only 2 when i activated my K1).

i use a hard case with wheels for mine, but i have friends that have used the cardboard boxes that they arrive to the LBS in. the boxes that the arrive to the stores in are quite manageable with handles cut in them, (that i suggest you tape up as they usually get ripped up some). this is what i used to ship one of my bikes down. i don't suggest packing anything else besides the bike in the box to make it thru security easier (note - some chain lubes are a no-no as are Co2 cartridges) bring a roll of tape for when they open it up to take a peek - they are usually very nice about taping it back up. i almost think using the cardboard box is a bit easier as i usually turn green when they call the 250lb guy over to sit on the top of my case as they stuff my bike (in parts) back into my hard case. :blink: oh, and the airlines differ when charging. i've been lucky to get it through for nothing (curbside checking), a $20 tip at curbside, nothing as the ticket agent was in a good mood (or on drugs ;) )to $90 each way.

k

Timeline

yeah .. i've heard of those 'bike boxes' as well. i have a bloody huge digital piano that causing me similar grief ....

just a thought .. but why don't you wait until you're in the USA before you buy a bike? it can you be your 'welcome to the usa' present to yourself.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've travelled with a bike quite a few times. Packing options:

- Pack it in a bicycle travelling case (the safest way, but the cases are expensive).

- Pack it in a cardboard bike box from a bike shop. Tell your bike shop what type and size of bike you have and ask if they have a box the right size that you could have. Chances are that they do. You'll have to remove the front wheel, the handlebars, and maybe some other parts to pack the bike in the box. Do a search for "how to pack a bicycle" for instructions.

- Pack it in a box that the airline provides. You may have to pay for the box, but it'll be easier than a bike box to fit your bike in (you won't have to remove the handlebars, just turn them) , and you'll be able to wheel your bike into the airport = easier than carrying it in a box.

- Pack it in a large plastic bag. Most airlines have these available. While this method provides the least amount of protection, the theory is that because the handlers see exactly what the item is, they handle it with the appropriate care. I've flown with my bike in a plastic bag several times, and the only damage it's gotten is a scratch or 2.

If you pack your bike at the airport, be sure to have the necessary tools with you to loosen/remove parts, and then pack your tools in your non-carry-on baggage (maybe with the bike itself).

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

You can't fly with a bike. You have to ride a bike. You fly in a plane.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ok.. back to the news ...

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Timeline

Di du ever see my ex? She could easily fly on a bike? or maybe it was a broom stick!! lol

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline

well, the witch in the Wizard of Oz kinda flew on her bike though didn't she?

I've never tried it myself, but then again, my bike has been sitting in the basement gathering dust since I moved here.

*snarf*

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

ET--those kids flew on a bike

ONLY if you sprinkle E.T. dust or fairy dust. I know this for sure. I asked Peter Pan.

True story. Non-fiction!

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Timeline
yeah .. i've heard of those 'bike boxes' as well. i have a bloody huge digital piano that causing me similar grief ....

just a thought .. but why don't you wait until you're in the USA before you buy a bike? it can you be your 'welcome to the usa' present to yourself.

Because I can get up to a 500$ refund from my insurance at the end of this month. Would be crazy to pass on this.

[15-03-2006] NOA1

[11-09-2006] NOA2!!

[19-05-2007] Wedding

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.