chrisepic

Recent Medical Exam, other misc

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee is a nurse now, just became so. During her schooling in the past two years she's had to have medical examinations: x-rays, the whole thing, even shots! If sh has everything on record, will the US Embassy accept that? Or is it manditory to go to St Lukes when they tell you to do so? She's just worried about the x-rays because of the radiation, since she's already had them in the past couple of years.

She's had shots, too, if she can verify, will she have to get them again?

i dont need to be present at the interview do I?

Isn't there a list of all this information for the Philippines to US visa journey, anyway? Cou someone point me in the right directions, palihog?

SALAMAT!

Also, we do plan to have a wedding ceremony in the Philippines first, but not get a marriage certificate (keeping the wedding hush hush to the officials, of coarse) But exactly what is the risk we face of them finding out and her getting black listed? Id rather do things the hard way than ruin her chances, but we would rather get her to the US on a K-1 Visa and still have the wedding in the Phi first.

TIMELINE: (CR-1)

06/02/06: Introduced

02/23/07: Engaged

08/07/07: Married

11/15/07: I-130 Submitted

1/24/08: Received

3/24/08: APPROVED

04/21/08: Letter from NVC, $70.00 Bill

05/27/08: I-864 Packet Sent

05/30/08: Choice of Agent E-mail Accepted (9 dys)

06/02/08: IV Bill Paid Online

06/05/08: DS-230 Requested

06/02/08: I-864A RFE Generated

06/09/08: DS-230 Received

06/13/08: CASE COMPLETE (7 mo)

08/01/08: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

08/06/08: Medical: PASSED

08/14/08: Interview: APPROVED!

08/15/08: Visa Pick-up

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It is mandatory to go to the medical exam when and where they tell you to do so. However, if your fiance has had immunizations and she brings the official record to the appointed doctor then she will probably not have to get them again. Things like the x-rays and that are, however, mandatory. The medical exam has to be signed off on by the appointed doctor.

No, you don't need to be present at the interview. But it's nice!

There are people around here who have had their religious or cultural ceremony first - I'm sure some of them may pop along and tell you about it!

Filed: Other Timeline

Just additional info:

Her vaccination history will be the basis for the physician's decision.

She may have gotten some vaccines already, but she needs proof that she has completed the series.

For those of you who believe that you had chickenpox, measles, mumps, and rubella (German measles), already........

.........but has NO proof............and of course you do not want to be given LIVE or attenuated vaccines that may be of no use to you (and sometimes harmful but only in about 0.3% in cases

This is what you need to do to satisfy any doctor or qualified physician: (Only if you hate vaccines)

To prove that you had these diseases------you need to provide an evidence of Immunity /"Protection".

GO to any Internal medicince or General practice doctor:

Ask them to order these lab tests (blood work):

1)Varicella (chickenpox) antibody titer

2)Tetanus antibody titer

3) Measles Mumps Rubella (or MMR) antibody titer

Your blood test results will show to which diseases you are protected already. =======Evidence of Immunity

It will show LOW level, high level or Inadequate level......they will be in "numbers".

If its in the Low level---------you would need the vaccine.

For those who can't afford the test: I do not know how much it is in the Phils.------unless you have medical insurance that will pay for it.

Its okay to get the vaccines.....even if you believe you've had THAT DISEASE (equals PROTECTIO/IMMUNITY FROM THAT DISEASE). MMR is proven to be safe here in U.S.....even if given in extra.

When a patient is unsure about her history-----vaccines and diseases (here in US)......we give the vaccines anyway. Its 3 vaccines in 1. That's why its called MMR.

Giving it is better than skipping it.

--------Except maybe for Chickenpox/Varicella vaccine.

From my studies........pathophysio---------if you had chickenpox already-----especially the FULL-BLOWN type-------and then you are given a Varicella/chickenpox vaccine----------in a small percentage-------it could activate another Varicella type ----1 mo. to 5 years later------the Varicella Zoster virus(VZV)----(or what they call in layterm "Shingles"-----its within the same family of virus----

The VJ members are right.....better start looking for those pox scars.

Or have a test.

Or just get the vaccine and pray for that Varicella(chickenpox) vaccine.

FYI----------for anyone who is Immunocompromised-------getting Radiation Therapy, Chemo, has Leukemia, Cancer, or you believe that your Immune system is not functioning well-----don't get that Varicella vaccine, if you believe you already had chickenpox. Its a Live virus I believe.......Those who are physicians/advanced nurses here......correct the info if wrong.

But if you really want to be in U.S.........then consider the St. Luke's physicians as kings.......since you have no choice.

Or get that blood work/test I've listed above.

Oh and the X-ray/radiation will be okay every other year...........more than that will be of concern.

Another reminder:

For those of you who are already here in US (new) and applying for jobs,

If they want you to be tested for TB (which is standard in ALL work places): PPD (purified protein derivative) is what they call it, but the test is actually called: "MANTOUX TEST"........People here in US just keep on saying PPD test.....PPD test.......PPD is actually the one that's placed in the small tuberculin syringe and injected to your skin (intradermal-------shallow-------about 15 degrees only)

If you were in the Philippines all your life: I would suggest showing your X-RAY report from St. Luke's........and DO NOT do that PPD SKIN test anymore.

Its useless for 98% of Filipinos. SHow that X-ray...

I've tested many Filipinos and they've tested positive-------not that they have Active TB........but they just had some exposure in Philippines.

6 years ago.......when I was new in US (I'm now a USC----with God's help)..............I didn't know anything about these even if I was an RN.

I had that X-ray in my hand.......then I had myself tested for that PPD/Mantoux.........its positive, of course.....and it almost created a scar on my beautiful, flawless forearm (joke about the beaut/flawless).

I was very submissive to everything. Now that I've learned the "ins" and "outs", I'm more tough and fights for what I learned in Grad school

I believe in Filipinos! Filipinos are very very smart!

FRANCEL

Family Nurse Practitioner & Advanced Practice RN

If you've known each other for at least 2 years: K1 visa is safe if you have documents to prove.

You can marry her in a Church (w/o a document) :-)

BUT: if you've known each other for less than a year......a civil wedding would satisfy the consuls more------- CR1 is probably better.

Anyway: this is my 0.2 cents:

Once your sweetie passes all her exams:

Philippine Boards for Nurses,

CGFNS (required in some states for foreign nurses)

IELTS exam (spoken, written english-----essay), reading test......used to be called TOEFL/TSE

NCLEX-RN (US Licensure for nurses - RN):

Always include the proof of PASSING with your papers: Copies only.

When an Consul sees that a K1 applicant is actually very qualifed to be a green-card holder (EB3 Employment-based visa for nurses): the consult will never never doubt the relationship.

This is because she won't need you to qualify for a green-card, actually since she has passed all the exams to work in US as an RN.

If the consul sees that she's in K1 visa in spite of her qualifications......they would think that SHE'S MADLY IN LOVE WITH YOU.

EB3 takes only about 15 -24 mos.-----Immigrant visa----shortcut-----no conditions-------she'll still be single.....and free to date anyone in US........

K1 visa is 5 - 12 mos---------conditional--------and needs to marry soon

If she would be still in a K1 visa,,,,,it means....she does not want to be apart from you.

'COz...... if she was in the EB3-----of course she goes to the state where the sponsoring Hospital (for Immigrant visa) is located.........away from COLORADO:-) and finish the 1 year contract.

I already believe that you're both very much in love!

And ......beautiful couple!!!!!

But if you love her very very much......don't let her get away from your sight......don't allow her to apply for EB3.

Or she'll meet someone in U.S.......one never knows.......only God can tell.

Francel

If you've known each other for at least 2 years: K1 visa is safe if you have documents to prove.

BUT: if you've known each other for less than a year......a civil wedding would satisfy the consuls more------- CR1 is probably better.

CGFNS (given by Philadelphia, USA) in the Phils (required in some states for foreign nurses). example: Texas, Georgia etc.

IELTS exam (spoken, written english-----essay), reading test......used to be called TOEFL/TSE (test of English as a foreign language)

NCLEX-RN (US Licensure/Boards for nurses - RN): -----not the LVN/LPN

When an Consul sees that a K1 applicant is actually very qualifed to be a green-card holder (EB3 Employment-based visa for nurses) ie.....passed ALL the exams: the consul will never never doubt the relationship.

And as a bonus: if the petitioner is NEAR (slightly above ) the 125 % povery line (borderline);;;;;;the consulls will ignore it because most RNs make $70,000 a year. They would automatically assume. (of course not in 100% of cases)-------considering the health, debts...criminal records of the applicant too.

Also, when she becomes an Advanced practice nurse (diagnoses and prescribes meds/narcotics)----the salary would be higher too.......(just 6 semesters in Grad school)

All of the above means she won't need you to qualify for a green-card, actually, since she has passed all the exams to work in US as an RN.

If the consul sees that she's in K1 visa in spite of her qualifications......they would think that SHE'S MADLY IN LOVE WITH YOU.

EB3 takes only about 15 -24 mos.-----Immigrant visa----shortcut-----no conditions-------she'll still be single.....and free to date anyone in US........

If she would be still in a K1 visa,,,,,it means....she does not want to be apart from you.

'COz...... if she was in the EB3-----of course she goes to the state where the sponsoring Hospital (for Immigrant visa) is located.........away from COLORADO:-) and finish the 1 year contract.

But if you love her very very much......don't let her get away from your sight......don't allow her to apply for EB3.

Francel

For Chris and for everyone who's interested on what vaccines we give in US (by age and co-morbidities):

See this link: http://www.cdc.gov/nip/recs/adult-schedule.pdf (cut and paste)

All clinics/hospitals in US use the above CDC guidelines (by heart).

If you need the ones for "Babies" and "Children/Adolescients", email me and I'll send it to you.

Or just go to the CDC website.

Timeline

IELTS exam (spoken, written english-----essay), reading test......used to be called TOEFL/TSE

When an Consul sees that a K1 applicant is actually very qualifed to be a green-card holder (EB3 Employment-based visa for nurses): the consult will never never doubt the relationship.

This is because she won't need you to qualify for a green-card, actually since she has passed all the exams to work in US as an RN.

Francel

Salamat. She passed the Philippines Board, the tests in the US will take some time, but she's not worried about that right away. She is willing to work at any job that will hire her.

The fact that comforts me is she doesn't need me to be a successful nurse or come to the US. She has a cousin in Ireland that offered to take her in and get her a nursing JOb, a job offer in Australia, and a cousin in Texas thats a nurse that was willing to take her in. Fortunately, she is in love with me. But I am going to do everything in my power to get her on the right track to success, because I love her.

Timeline

francel, along with those exams in the USyou mentioned, she also has to take the state board exam, too, correct? Does se have to take both a state and a national? Or just a state?

I believe you.

I believe in both of you.

Here's my my .02 cents:

We were 200+ in our BSN class of 99

I know some classmates who went to Ireland, some who went to Australia, some to Canada. Actually, a lot went to Sydney, Australia and Calagary, Toronto, Canada

60% went to US,,,,,,,,20% went to United Kingdom/London. Those who went to London were not able to save much-------very expensive cost of living.

For LOndon, there was no requirement except to pass the Philippine boards and 1 year experience

One of the countries (Nethelands) required my classmates to learn "Dutch" for 6 mos.

These are very good developed countries, of course.........beautiful! .

But many of my classmates changed their minds and applied to USA later.

Actually, 80% of those who went to other countries firs are now here. (Some stayed in those OTHER countries, mostly because found LOVE in that country------he he!

According to most of them their end goal is USA----------higher pay-----higher respect---equal rights etc, more options, etc,

London/UK, Australia, Canada, were just stepping stones for them.

I work in a place with 1 Canadian (M.D.), 1 Australian (RN), and 1 Hungarian (MD). Their husbands are Canadians and Australians too. I never asked them why they chose to leave their countries for US. I respect them. These are very rich countries (unlike the Third World countries)

Just my .02 cents........

(from my class' experience)

Francel

Salamat. She passed the Philippines Board, the tests in the US will take some time, but she's not worried about that right away. She is willing to work at any job that will hire her.

The fact that comforts me is she doesn't need me to be a successful nurse or come to the US. She has a cousin in Ireland that offered to take her in and get her a nursing JOb, a job offer in Australia, and a cousin in Texas thats a nurse that was willing to take her in. Fortunately, she is in love with me. But I am going to do everything in my power to get her on the right track to success, because I love her.

Edited by Francel

Chris,

NCLEX-RN = National council for licensure exam of reg. nurses. Just 1.

During our time------we (those who have no US visas like me) had to take it SAIPAN. No Other option.

My rich classmates who had US Visitor's (multiple entry) visa (usually the wealthy ones)--------took NCLEX-RN in US,,,,,,,,while visiting Disneyland and Universal studios.

I think now, she can take it in some other Asian countries.........your sweetie would know better.

Before (from my AUnts' stories-------the oldies----the veteran nurses) : many years ago-------each state has its own exam--------that's why called "State boards".

But thousands of nurses complained especially the wives of the military-----who move almost every 2 years from state to state-------and had to take a different Board exam everytime (costly and a pain on the A- - )! And it was unfair!!!

Now, the exam standardized in all 50 + states,,,,,just like the Medical boards---and like the P.T., O.T Boards etc.

This was after the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) was formed.

Link:

https://www.ncsbn.org/index.htm

francel, along with those exams in the USyou mentioned, she also has to take the state board exam, too, correct? Does se have to take both a state and a national? Or just a state?

In fairness to Canada, according to my friends (nurses) who has lived and work there, they offer the BEST HEALTH INSURANCE and BENEFITS for Families.

--------compared to USA........where Health benefits/insurance of Americans are at stake............scares me sometimes......

I feel guilty for limiting the lab tests/diagnostic tests for those who can't pay.

These giant insurance companies........they dictate which......should we order for a patient (basis is capacity to pay)-------very wrong!!!.

They dictate which treatments can we only give for a particular patient. I hate it......I hate what's going on.

If we don't follow--------we pay the big expense out of pocket.

I'm worried about plain Medicaid/Medicare patients......to be honest.

To have the best kind of care: its better to be enrolled in one of those PPOs------like Blue-Cross Blue Shield rather than relying on Medicare/medicaid.

By having the best health insurance: we can give you--------all the best kind of care

Correction: I meant HERPES Zoster Virus for "SHINGLES"..........not "Varicella zoster".----------for the latent infection for Chickenpox (when the dormant chickenpox virus in the system is reactivated).

Sorry,,,,,I was typing very fast!

Just additional info:

Her vaccination history will be the basis for the physician's decision.

She may have gotten some vaccines already, but she needs proof that she has completed the series.

For those of you who believe that you had chickenpox, measles, mumps, and rubella (German measles), already........

.........but has NO proof............and of course you do not want to be given LIVE or attenuated vaccines that may be of no use to you (and sometimes harmful but only in about 0.3% in cases

This is what you need to do to satisfy any doctor or qualified physician: (Only if you hate vaccines)

To prove that you had these diseases------you need to provide an evidence of Immunity /"Protection".

GO to any Internal medicince or General practice doctor:

Ask them to order these lab tests (blood work):

1)Varicella (chickenpox) antibody titer

2)Tetanus antibody titer

3) Measles Mumps Rubella (or MMR) antibody titer

Your blood test results will show to which diseases you are protected already. =======Evidence of Immunity

It will show LOW level, high level or Inadequate level......they will be in "numbers".

If its in the Low level---------you would need the vaccine.

For those who can't afford the test: I do not know how much it is in the Phils.------unless you have medical insurance that will pay for it.

Its okay to get the vaccines.....even if you believe you've had THAT DISEASE (equals PROTECTIO/IMMUNITY FROM THAT DISEASE). MMR is proven to be safe here in U.S.....even if given in extra.

When a patient is unsure about her history-----vaccines and diseases (here in US)......we give the vaccines anyway. Its 3 vaccines in 1. That's why its called MMR.

Giving it is better than skipping it.

--------Except maybe for Chickenpox/Varicella vaccine.

From my studies........pathophysio---------if you had chickenpox already-----especially the FULL-BLOWN type-------and then you are given a Varicella/chickenpox vaccine----------in a small percentage-------it could activate another Varicella type ----1 mo. to 5 years later------the Varicella Zoster virus(VZV)----(or what they call in layterm "Shingles"-----its within the same family of virus----

The VJ members are right.....better start looking for those pox scars.

Or have a test.

Or just get the vaccine and pray for that Varicella(chickenpox) vaccine.

FYI----------for anyone who is Immunocompromised-------getting Radiation Therapy, Chemo, has Leukemia, Cancer, or you believe that your Immune system is not functioning well-----don't get that Varicella vaccine, if you believe you already had chickenpox. Its a Live virus I believe.......Those who are physicians/advanced nurses here......correct the info if wrong.

But if you really want to be in U.S.........then consider the St. Luke's physicians as kings.......since you have no choice.

Or get that blood work/test I've listed above.

Oh and the X-ray/radiation will be okay every other year...........more than that will be of concern.

Another reminder:

For those of you who are already here in US (new) and applying for jobs,

If they want you to be tested for TB (which is standard in ALL work places): PPD (purified protein derivative) is what they call it, but the test is actually called: "MANTOUX TEST"........People here in US just keep on saying PPD test.....PPD test.......PPD is actually the one that's placed in the small tuberculin syringe and injected to your skin (intradermal-------shallow-------about 15 degrees only)

If you were in the Philippines all your life: I would suggest showing your X-RAY report from St. Luke's........and DO NOT do that PPD SKIN test anymore.

Its useless for 98% of Filipinos. SHow that X-ray...

I've tested many Filipinos and they've tested positive-------not that they have Active TB........but they just had some exposure in Philippines.

6 years ago.......when I was new in US (I'm now a USC----with God's help)..............I didn't know anything about these even if I was an RN.

I had that X-ray in my hand.......then I had myself tested for that PPD/Mantoux.........its positive, of course.....and it almost created a scar on my beautiful, flawless forearm (joke about the beaut/flawless).

I was very submissive to everything. Now that I've learned the "ins" and "outs", I'm more tough and fights for what I learned in Grad school

I believe in Filipinos! Filipinos are very very smart!

FRANCEL

Family Nurse Practitioner & Advanced Practice RN

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.