Klepley

Using China Air from the US to the Philippines?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Anyone use China air from the US? Is two hours long enough to connect flights? Have flown through many places but never this airline or this connection.

Thanks,

Kevin

Where are you connecting through and where are you going?

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

Leaving Dulles, Washington, connecting Beijing, to Manila.

I have read online an hour is basically what is needed, and one of the Dr's I work with told me no problem. As he is Chinese, I know now for him..lol..

Kevin

Timeline

My wife has flown with them twice, she has told me I am not allowed to book a flight using their airline anymore. She had really bad experiences, but she doesn't travel much so I can't really say how accurate her review is. I would look into China Southern airlines, I've flown that and it was great. She didn't like Shanghai airport, and one of her flights was delayed and they put her up at a hotel which was an hour away from the airport. Hope whatever you decide it goes smoothly. Good luck.

Timeline

It was a bad experience for me. Booked their flight from Los Angeles-Beijing-Manila with 2hrs layover, there was a delay with my departure from LAX so when I arrived in Beijing, the connecting flight left already. Their staff were unfriendly and barely speak English. They let me stay at this crappy hotel far from the airport and when I went back the next day, flights to Manila were fully booked and was told to wait for another day, thats when I got mad and just requested to book me to any airline thats bound to Manila. Took Beijing-Hongkong-Manila. It was very exhausting. Two passengers lost their baggage.

Klepley, on 16 Dec 2015 - 8:21 PM, said:

Leaving Dulles, Washington, connecting Beijing, to Manila.

I have read online an hour is basically what is needed, and one of the Dr's I work with told me no problem. As he is Chinese, I know now for him..lol..

Kevin

Use "flight aware" and do some research before buying your ticket. They will have all the flight history and you can see what delays and when. Track the flight for today and the day of the week you plan on taking your flight and see what it shows for on time arrivals and departures. Ask the airlines what they recommend as they don't want any problems so they are going to give you what they think is the best case scenarios.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

I have read the reviews and interesting that people either give them 1 out of 10 or 10 out of 10 but with the reviews here, glad I didn't book them.. Extremely cheap when compared to other airlines, but since I want to make sure I get there with no problems, went to do my ticket on Korean Air to find out I have a free ticket.

As an FYI, I tried that yesterday. Didn't have enough points. Went back today, and all of the sudden I needed less points today. Makes no sense. Did email them yesterday and let them I was extremely dissatisfied customer who has used their airline many times in the past seven years.

Can't beat that!

Thanks all for the advice. The Flight Aware thing is a great idea!

Kevin

Timeline

Extremely cheap when compared to other airlines, but since I want to make sure I get there with no problems, went to do my ticket on Korean Air to find out I have a free ticket.

You get what you pay for!!! If you don't mind delays and staying in hotels book em.

27 January 2012: Mailed I-129F

03 February 2012: NOA1( e-mail & Text)

03 February 2012: Check Cashed

NO RFE'S

22 June 2012 : NOA2 (e-mail & Text)

16 July 2012: Manila Case Number(by phone)

17 July 2012: Interview paid at BPI

19 July 2012: Set interview for Mid-Aug

23-24 July 2012: Medical St. Lukes(passed)

24 July 2012: CFO Seminar(had to go next morning for landline #)- PASSED

02 Aug 2012: Received e-mail from USEM our case is there.

15 Aug 2012: Interview at USEM - APPROVED

13 SEP 2012: POE Minneapolis, MN

27 OCT 2012: Married

19 NOV 2012: AOS package sent

05 DEC 2012: NOA's I-765, I-131, I-485

14 DEC 2012: Biometrics appointment finished(Walk-in..Was scheduled Jan 04 2013)

02 FEB 2013: I-131 and I-765 Approved

07 FEB 2013: USPS Picked up the combo-card

11 FEB 2013: Received Combo-card

21 FEB 2013: Transit Visa picked up in Chicago for Japan

Klepley, on 17 Dec 2015 - 11:27 AM, said:

I have read the reviews and interesting that people either give them 1 out of 10 or 10 out of 10 but with the reviews here, glad I didn't book them.. Extremely cheap when compared to other airlines, but since I want to make sure I get there with no problems, went to do my ticket on Korean Air to find out I have a free ticket.

As an FYI, I tried that yesterday. Didn't have enough points. Went back today, and all of the sudden I needed less points today. Makes no sense. Did email them yesterday and let them I was extremely dissatisfied customer who has used their airline many times in the past seven years.

Can't beat that!

Thanks all for the advice. The Flight Aware thing is a great idea!

Kevin

Get back to us and update us on what you ended up doing about your flight arrangements. I for one have not used a Chinese airlines but will consider it but till I heard other's stories. Help by giving back to your thread. Thanks

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

Using Korean Air which has been my primarily airline over the past four years for overseas flights and are very good at what they do. I've also fond Eithad and JAL to be exceptionally good as well. The worst trip was with American Airlines. Their entertainment system was down so nothing from Tokyo to Chicago for too many hours.

The next time I fly, and if not worried about delays, will try Air China. I don't mind delays, or even people who don't speak my language. With the money I save, could even see the town for a night. Actually part of traveling, and sometimes the best part is meeting those people who you would never have met before if not for the sideline. This happened in Tokyo once and really enjoyed seeing the town for that night.

As an FYI, my first time to the Philippines was right after Hurricane Sandy. It was quite the adventure flying out of the East Coast, and by all rights my buddy and I should not have been able to make it. We wheeled and dealed our way and completely changed our itinerary. The flight over from Dulles? I think 20 of us, so we each had our own row. To this day, my fiance believes the hurricane was a test from God and he wanted to see if I had the perseverance to get there.

Best trip of my life!

In 2013 I flew China Eastern JFK-PDO-MNL RT. Most reasonable price when I booked. Like others have said reviews go from 1 or 10 /10. Flight was uneventful. Food was tolerable. No delays so I was a satisfied customer. I think layover at PDO was a little less than 2 hrs. 1 hr layover for connecting flights is really cutting it close taking into account even minor delays and time to transfer between terminals or concourses.

FWIW pax to pax conversation if even wanted would have been nearly impossible. I think I was only westerner on the flights, haha.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-17
I-130 Sent : 2014-06-23
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-06-25
I-130 RFE : 2014-08-11 (Wanted NSO Marriage Certificate, not LCR)
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-08-14
I-130 Approved : 2014-08-27
NVC Received : 2014-09-15
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Pay AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Submit DS-261 : 2014-09-17
Send AOS Package : 2014-09-19
Receive IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Pay IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Received Interview Letter by E-mail: 2015-03-20 (May 5, 2015)
SLEC completed: 2015-04-22
Visa Approved: 2015-05-05
Visa Issued: 2015-05-15 (221g for no CENOMAR!)

Visa Received: 2015-05-21

POE: Chicago 2015-09-14

GC Received: 2015-11-17

Timeline

Using Korean Air which has been my primarily airline over the past four years for overseas flights and are very good at what they do. I've also fond Eithad and JAL to be exceptionally good as well. The worst trip was with American Airlines. Their entertainment system was down so nothing from Tokyo to Chicago for too many hours.

The next time I fly, and if not worried about delays, will try Air China. I don't mind delays, or even people who don't speak my language. With the money I save, could even see the town for a night. Actually part of traveling, and sometimes the best part is meeting those people who you would never have met before if not for the sideline. This happened in Tokyo once and really enjoyed seeing the town for that night.

As an FYI, my first time to the Philippines was right after Hurricane Sandy. It was quite the adventure flying out of the East Coast, and by all rights my buddy and I should not have been able to make it. We wheeled and dealed our way and completely changed our itinerary. The flight over from Dulles? I think 20 of us, so we each had our own row. To this day, my fiance believes the hurricane was a test from God and he wanted to see if I had the perseverance to get there.

Best trip of my life!

Thanks for sharing that. I never considered taking advantage of layovers to explore. I'm usually on a very tight schedule but will keep that in mind.

Korean Air is my preferred carrier to Philippines, though I don't like that occasional 12 hour layover to connect in Incheon. I have a friend that is a captain for American. He flies heavy aircraft DFW to Brazil. One thing that he told me about budget airlines (domestic or international) is to look at the average hours the crews have at flying and especially flying that particular air-frame.. I agree, they are good at what they do. Have heard good things about JAL too

2015-11-12 I-129F sent to Dallas lock-box

2015-11-16 Packet received by USCIS Dallas

2015-11-19 NOA1 email notification. Routed to CSC

2015-11-23 NOA1 hard copy: notice date 11/18

2015-12-18 NOA2 Email/Text/USCIS app notification

2015-12-24 NOA2 hard copy

2016-01-08 NVC case number

2016-01-12 Case sent to consulate

2016-01-14 Consulate received case

2016-06-29 Medical part one

2016-07-01 Medical part two (passed)

2016-07-11 Interview at USEM- APPROVED

2016-07-16 Received Visa and Passport

2015-07-18 CFO denied sticker. Reason for denial: She does not believe the reason for divorce listed in my divorce decree. What the hell???

Timeline

ANA, JAL, and Philippine are all good airlines for travel to Manila. Philippine Air, from what I understand, is more expensive, but it has direct flights from LAX and from Chicago. With ANA and JAL, I had a brief layover in Tokyo, 2 to 4 hours.

K-1 Application sent 2-16-16

Received at Dallas lockbox 2-18-16

NOA1, sent to California 2-23-16

NOA2 4-21-16

NVC shipped to Manila 5-12-16

Consulate received 5-16-16

US Embassy Interview -- APPROVED!!! 8-24-16 :dancing: :joy: :dancing:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.