Girlnextdoor

Any opinion on how things went? Had my AOS interview today

6 posts in this topic

So I had my interview today and I believe it went well but I want other opinions! As soon as I was called I was asked where my husband was so I told him he was on deployment , the guy said okay do you have any proof? I said yes as my husband had sent me a letter from his command saying he was on deployment . The guy took the letter and left me alone in the office. He came back and said they couldn't accept the letter, they needed his orders. I said okay and he told me he was still going through with the interview. He asked me questions which I answered and asked for proof of a relationship so I showed him pictures, joint bank accounts, rental agreements, utilities, even my wedding video and also a picture of my tattoo of my husband's name. I was attempting to show him more because I had so much stuff but he said he had seen enough. He took all my pictures, utility bills and joint bank account paper, he could've took more but that's what I saw. He said he was going to send me a request for more evidence because he couldn't make a decision until he had my husbands orders, once I receive that letter I have 90 days to submit his orders which is a hardship it itself because it's classified information but my husband is seeing what he can do but based on the fact he is only waiting on orders it's a good thing? Do you think I'm gonna be approved once I send in my husbands orders?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from WST-based AOS to WST-based AOS Progress Forum~

~Inquiry about case status~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So I had my interview today and I believe it went well but I want other opinions! As soon as I was called I was asked where my husband was so I told him he was on deployment , the guy said okay do you have any proof? I said yes as my husband had sent me a letter from his command saying he was on deployment . The guy took the letter and left me alone in the office. He came back and said they couldn't accept the letter, they needed his orders. I said okay and he told me he was still going through with the interview. He asked me questions which I answered and asked for proof of a relationship so I showed him pictures, joint bank accounts, rental agreements, utilities, even my wedding video and also a picture of my tattoo of my husband's name. I was attempting to show him more because I had so much stuff but he said he had seen enough. He took all my pictures, utility bills and joint bank account paper, he could've took more but that's what I saw. He said he was going to send me a request for more evidence because he couldn't make a decision until he had my husbands orders, once I receive that letter I have 90 days to submit his orders which is a hardship it itself because it's classified information but my husband is seeing what he can do but based on the fact he is only waiting on orders it's a good thing? Do you think I'm gonna be approved once I send in my husbands orders?

make sure you respond to the RFE in a timely manner, the sooner they receive your response, the sooner they will process your case. I think you should be fine, I don't see why you wouldn't be approved.

Best of luck

Do you think I'm gonna be approved once I send in my husbands orders?

None of us can really give you a well-informed answer to that, so the best you're going to get is guesses based on what you've told us and how it compares to our own experiences and what we've read here and elsewhere.

That said, it sounds like the interview went well. Our interviewer also said that she'd seen enough after looking at less than half of the evidence we brought, and she kept bank statements, bills etc for the file. Better to have too much evidence than too little :)

The fact that your IO said that he couldn't make a decision until he'd seen your husband's orders would make me think that he believes your marriage is genuine, but needs a copy of the orders for the file before he can issue an approval. That's a bit surprising, since the only info I can find on the USCIS site says "USCIS will conduct your Adjustment of Status interview without the presence of your military spouse (the petitioner) if he or she is currently deployed. At your interview, you should bring evidence of your spouse’s military assignment abroad, such as a photocopy of the official orders or a letter from your spouse’s commanding officer.",and you brought a letter, but that page is archived and perhaps there has been a policy change? Or perhaps the letter omitted a piece of necessary information that would be in the orders (I have no idea what that might be)?

Nothing that you mention in your interview description sounds like a reason to worry. Wait for the RFE for the orders, respond to it as promptly as you can, and I think you'll be fine.

Eighteen years in the US and I still don't understand Velveeta, TV ads for prescription drugs, only getting 2 weeks paid vacation, or why anyone believes anything they see on Fox "News".

Hello there! Nice to see another Brit filer! In my opinion (which is all it is) you should be absolutely fine as long as you submit your husband's orders in time. Try to be as punctual as you can and be prepared for the possibility of another interview. If all of your info is genuine and you do have a valid marriage, you have absolutely no reason to worry. In all the time i've been doing this process, it seems that Brits have very little problem with immigration (as it should be! :P)

From the time we submitted our forms till AOS approval (112 days).

Timeline:

January 9, 2012 : Arrived in the United States on VWP from Scotland to visit for a few months.
March 23, 2012 : Married in Pekin, IL
heart.gif
March 19, 2013 (day 1) : Forms sent into the Chicago Lockbox

March 26, 2013 (day 7) : NOA1 Reciepts for I-130, I-765, I-485; case accepted
April 4, 2013 (day 19) : Change of Address reciept
April 10, 2013 (day 25) : Biometrics appointment notice, appointment sent for April 23rd
April 15, 2013 (day 30) : RFE for I-485
April 23, 2013 (day 38) : Biometrics appointment in Naperville, IL. Super easy, no wait.
April 28 2013 (day 43) : Receipt of Evidence
May 5, 2013 (day 47) : Interview appointment to be scheduled

May 11, 2013 (day 53) : Interview set for July 9, 2013

May 27, 2013 (day 69): EAD has been ordered/sent out

June 6, 2013 (day 79): recieved EAD, applied for SSN

June 14, 2013 (day 87): Recieved SSN

July 1, 2013 (day 104): HIRED!!! (two jobs I might add!!))

July 9, 2013 (Day 112): AOS Interview @Chicago Office, APPROVED ON THE SPOT!!!

July 10, 2013 (Day 113): Illinois Drivers License!!!

July 12,2013 (Day 115): GC Production ordered

July 17, 2013 (Day 120): Green Card Recieved!!!

TWO LOVELY YEARS (July 2013 - October 2015)

October 27, 2015 (Day 1 ROC): Sent ROC packet with fee waiver and late explaination

November 11, 2015 (Day 15 ROC): Packet Denied based on lack of evidence for fee waiver

December 22nd, 2016 (Day 1 restart ROC): Packet resubmitted with better evidence

January 23rd, 2017 (Day 32 since restart ROC): Packet accepted and fee waiver approved

mbpndc.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.