Mark Collard

i-134 waaaaaaaah

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

me and my fiancee have been looking into the k1 now for some time, but have just realised that by the time we would submit the i-134 we wont meet the 125% poverty guidleine requirement. we have no one else who could sponsor, and must be together, so now as an alternative im looking in to becoming a student, then eventually applying for a k3.

anyone had similar experiences or know any other ways around this? or how to get into universities or know any other helpful sites??

any help greatly appreciated

journey.jpg

Where is your fiancee from?

I only ask because the London embassy sometimes permits self-sponsoring (I believe they are unique in this regard) if the foreign fiancee has a decent amount of cash that can be taken into the US.

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Its possible then u MIGHT be able to self-sponsor if you have a decent amount of money..the problem is London never say definite one way or the other which isn't helpful altho you could email them and ask LondonConsular@state.gov is the email; how far from the poverty line requirements is your USC fiancee? Really far? And You're both SURE you can't get a co-sponsor in the US? You know it can be anyone who's a resident right? Not just family members...

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

so you mean you wanna be a student in the US? or in UK?

If you wanna be a student in the US it is expensive for us and probably kinda difficult to arrange - you'll need to prove you have enough money to support yourself whilst there etc......however I started a degree in England and went on an exchange to California (can do it for one or two semesters), this is pretty easy so long as you can do it as part of your course. Then you'll enter the states on a J1 visa and you can study there - I went Jan - July on my visa then went to canada and came back as a tourist till Sept. You can marry on this visa but you'll have to prove you didnt enter with intent to marry. You will still have to worry about sponsorship though because AOS requires it also (same 125% above poverty level etc)............there isn't really a solution to your sponsorship problem unless you find a co-sponsor (needed for K1,K3 and AOS).

Good luck

09/20/05 NOA1 received
11/22/05 NOA2 received (65 days)
12/05/05 NVC received application! (say 2-4 week wait)
12/13/05 Found out forms were sent to London on 12/08/05!
12/20/05 Packet 3 received!
01/11/06 Medical - Knightsbridge London
01/18/06 Sent back packet 3!
02/15/06 Received packet 4!

02/13/06 INTERVIEW DATE 03/22/06 AT 10.30AM!! - APPROVED

Married July 29th 2006!!

08/17/2006 Filed for AOS and EAD
08/26/2006 NOA1 received for both (dated 08/24/06)
09/06/2006 RFE email.....not sure what for yet!
9/07/2006 Biometrics completed
10/13/2006 Transferred to CSC!!
11/02/2006 Approval email received!!
11/08/2006 Welcome to USA letter arrives!

11/13/2006 GREEN CARD RECEIVED - NO MISTAKES!!!!

06/06/08 Family moved back to UK!!

Husband gained UK citizenship September 2015

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Family relocating back to California

06/27/2016 I-130 Spousal Visa application sent to London Embassy

07/05/2016 NOA 1

08/31/2016 NOA 2 - case transferred to the Immigrant Visa Unit at the embassy

09/13/2016 3rd Letter received with LND number

10/14/2016 Medical

10/31/2016 Embassy interview

What year are you in??? can you not participate in an exchange??

09/20/05 NOA1 received

Married July 29th 2006!!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

07/05/2016 NOA 1

10/14/2016 Medical

I don't really know how student visas work, but I cannot imagine you'll be able to finance both the student visa process itself and your stay in the States if you can't finance a K-1 now. And I believe you'd actually have to enroll in some kind of institution before you could even think about a student visa. Not to mention that if you let something slip about your American fiancee during your J-1 process, you might be denied that visa, too.

This is an expensive process no matter which way you slice it, unfortunately, but I don't think a student visa will be any faster, cheaper, or less complicated. I don't really see any way around a need for another sponsor here. :(

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Well, the student visa isn't expensive compared to K1 really - can't remember exactly but its about $100 for a form and then the £62 embassy fee - you also need to get to London etc. You do need to prove you can support yourself whilst there but its not that much (about $3000) and you can show student loan things to say that you'll be receiving it etc - I saved my student loan from the first year to, so I had enough easily.

However you'll need to find a course which permits this as part of the programme (I do international business studies), also you can't just pick which uni in the States you study in - I could pick out of about 5 all over the country, it depends which your university has links with etc. However, I am unsure if your denial will affect your attempts to study in the states. Exchange programmes don't take place until the second year anyway or maybe even third......so it won't be till 2007 at least till you can do this. The K1 process doesn't normally take that long so this isn't a good way to get round your future financial problems.

Like Pax says you could get denied the visa if they suspect you in anyway, because you have already been denied this might be a problem.

This still doesn't get you round the sponsorship problems.....you'll still need a sponsor for AOS like I said before.....

Could your girlfriend/fiance (sorry couldn't remember which!) not move to the UK?? This is a far easier process.....this way you could be together and in the future you could move back to the USA once you've established yourselves and are married etc.

09/20/05 NOA1 received

Married July 29th 2006!!

07/05/2016 NOA 1

10/14/2016 Medical

Mark,

I'm curious - if you and your fiancee can't afford to meet the public charge provisions of US law, how can you afford to become a student? It may be fun to be in love, but it's no fun to be poor in the USA.

It seems to me that immigration requirements are the least of you problem. Things like food, clothing, and shelter come quickly to mind as being more significant. You may die of a broken heart if you and your fiancee can't be together soon, but you'll die much more quickly of malnutrition or exposure. The financial requirements for a visa and for immigration are there for a reason, and for your own good.

One way to get around the problem if you and she must live in the USA would be for your fiancee to get a job, or two if necessary.

Yodrak

me and my fiancee have been looking into the k1 now for some time, but have just realised that by the time we would submit the i-134 we wont meet the 125% poverty guidleine requirement. we have no one else who could sponsor, and must be together, so now as an alternative im looking in to becoming a student, then eventually applying for a k3.

anyone had similar experiences or know any other ways around this? or how to get into universities or know any other helpful sites??

any help greatly appreciated

Mark,

Not true, as Jaylen Brit pointed out to you. A sponsor is not required for a non-immigrant visa unless the visa applicant does not have sufficient funds of their own. Admittedly, the idea of sufficiency is very subjective, but the US consulate in London has shown itself to be on the liberal side.

I see some things that sound possibly like inconsistencies in your posts in this thread. You say here that you have money, but you responded to Jaylen that you don't. Whichever, get yourself or your fiancee working and make some more money if you don't have enough. The issue is money - one needs to have money to live, let alone immigrate - and there's not getting around it.

Yodrak

yeh i have money now, but for the k1 it matters not how much i have but my sponsor.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.