Rich&Ashmani

Non-Taxable Income I-134

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

We finally have our interview for November 18th at the Georgetown, Guyana embassy. I am still worrying about my I-134 form. Most of my income is non-taxable so my tax return reflects that I only make about $7,XXX/year when I actually make $32-33,XXX/year. My income is from using my Post 9/11 GI Bill, disability from injuries over seas, and state benefits (tuition waiver and financial aid that comes directly to me) for the military. I wrote a one page explanation for the CO that reads it, and I will also be at the interview with my fiance. I have all the proof and documentation from the school and the VA to show this is all legit income.

I also have over $18,XXX in my account and $85,5XX in assets, and $650,XXX in life insurance.

With all of this, should I still be worrying about how the CO will see my ability to support my fiance?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It isn't about taxable income number, it's about income. Money you have to spend on life's expenses. Tuition waivers aren't income that you can spend. Now if the waiver frees up cash that comes to you, that's a different story. Financial aid that is for tuition, books, etc. isn't income.

You can supplement an income shortfall with assets. The ratio used is 3:1 assets:income. $18K in cash = $6K of income. Assets must be easily convertible into cash and not be detrimental/cause undue harm to the sponsor. Your primary vehicle cannot be considered as an asset. See the form I-864 instructions for how to value the assets and what documentation is needed for such.

Cash surrender value of an insurance policy is the number that would be used if in the CO's eyes it passed the undue harm test.

Have your documentation in line. The CO won't take your word for it.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

Ok thank you for replying again, I know that I've asked before and you've answered. I just got a little more worried since it's so close. So only counting my GI Bill stipend (BAH) and disability and military pay, I come in above the 125% line. I should be fine then with that, plus all the extras to add in, but at least there is the guaranteed amount. I do appreciate the help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.