Jump to content

Adjustment of status from OPT to Green Card

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I am from Pakistan and I have an MS degree in Mechanical Engineering. I will start my full time job from Oct in NY. My question is can I apply for adjustment of status from OPT to Green card directly bypassing the H1B process since there is just one shot at H1 as the OPT extension has been removed. If yes, how do I determine which employment based category I fall in (EB1, EB2 or EB3)?



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

OPT is part of student visa, there is no way around. Employers' lawyer will take care of your work visa (if they hire you of course.)


12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, you must have a petition that is approved and a visa number is available for the priority date before you can do Adjustment of Status, except if the category is current for your country in which case the petition and Adjustment of Status can be filed concurrently.

In most cases, the petition must be filed by an employer, except in the case of EB1 category or NIW in which you can petition yourself. So generally this is not something that is under your control. The employer has to want to petition you, and many employers do not do this until you've worked there for a certain amoutn of time, etc.; the policy varies with each employer. Plus the employer needs to get a labor certification before even doing the petition.

The petition, filed by the employer or (if you are in one of the categories that can self-petition) by yourself, can be filed while you are in any status (not necessarily H1b), or even when you are not in the US, but in most cases it will require a permanent offer of employment from an employer.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.