rick3390

Have Green Card will travel?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Greetings all. My lovely wife received her green card about a year ago (conditional). Can she travel internationally with just the green card?

Thanks

Rick

I129F 06-23-2004

Mail receipted 06-24-2004

NOA 1 07-01-2004 Never received in mail

Called CSC to request NOA 1 be resent (they said NO!) 07-28-2004

NOA 2 08-31-2004 SUPRISE!

NVC receives 09-07-2004

NVC forwarded petition to Kiev 09-13-2004

Never received packet 3

Downloaded packet 3 and returned 9-22-2004

Requested interview 10-4

NVC sent embassy her maiden name!

Sent embassy documentation showing passport name.

Notified of interview 10-1-2004 by email.

Never received packet 4

Embassy guard still had maiden name she was prepared with documentation!

Interview successful 10-4-2004

Arrive JFK 10-19-20

Arrive Phoenix 10-20-2004

Married 1-6-05!

Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting NOT WAITING

Laughing in the face of adversity, an old talent with a new use

Greetings all. My lovely wife received her green card about a year ago (conditional). Can she travel internationally with just the green card?

Thanks

Rick

She can travel anywhere she was able to travel before with her passport. She will still need a valid passport from the country of her citizenship. The green card ensures she'll have no trouble returning to the US. If she needed a visitors' visa for certain countries before, she'll still need it now. Hope that answers your question. :)

Edited by MargotDarko

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

I just realised my first comment might have been a little confusing. If she needed a visitor's visa for the US before, she doesn't need it now. If she needed it for other countries, she would still need it while she's a permanent resident. If she becomes a citizen, then she can get a US passport and travel freely to all the same countries as you can.

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

25 May 2007 - NOA2

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You can use this link to see what travel documents you need for other countries. Having a US Green Card will eliminate the need for a visa to some countries.

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations...ation/index.jsp

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

You can use this link to see what travel documents you need for other countries. Having a US Green Card will eliminate the need for a visa to some countries.

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations...ation/index.jsp

That's very helpful. I was just going on what someone said in another thread. :)

US Immigration Timeline

25 May 2007 - NOA2

Filed: Timeline

Thanks

Rick

She can travel anywhere she was able to travel before with her passport. She will still need a valid passport from the country of her citizenship. The green card ensures she'll have no trouble returning to the US. If she needed a visitors' visa for certain countries before, she'll still need it now. Hope that answers your question. :)

Hi Margot - Quick question, my wife also recently received her conditional two year Green Card and will be travelling back home to visit Family. I'm a little confused on whether or not we need to get a re-entry permit or not? Any thoughts on why someone would need a re-entry permit or is it totally fine for her to go home for a month?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks

Rick

Hi Margot - Quick question, my wife also recently received her conditional two year Green Card and will be travelling back home to visit Family. I'm a little confused on whether or not we need to get a re-entry permit or not? Any thoughts on why someone would need a re-entry permit or is it totally fine for her to go home for a month?

Thanks!

I know you were not asking me, but I know the answer, so I will reply :)

If she's going to be staying with her family for over a year, then she will need a re-entry permit. Otherwise - no. (there are exceptions to that, but in general, that's how it works).

What good would a green card do if it didn't allow you to return to the US without any additional papers? :blink:

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Thanks

Rick

Thanks!

If she's going to be staying with her family for over a year, then she will need a re-entry permit. Otherwise - no. (there are exceptions to that, but in general, that's how it works).

What good would a green card do if it didn't allow you to return to the US without any additional papers? :blink:

Jewel12 ~ Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!! :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

If I understand correctly you enter the destination country with your passport from your country of citizenship but return to the US on your green card? The information on the Delta site is a little sketchy as it seems to differentiate between 2 year card and 10 year card in some places but not in others.

"if stay outside U.S.A. was less than 1 year and coming from the Western Hemisphere: <<you need>>Permanent Resident/Resident Alien Card (Form I-551)." Is the 2 year card as good as the 10 year card in this case?

rw

Thanks

Rick

Thanks!

I129F 06-23-2004

Mail receipted 06-24-2004

NOA 1 07-01-2004 Never received in mail

Called CSC to request NOA 1 be resent (they said NO!) 07-28-2004

NOA 2 08-31-2004 SUPRISE!

NVC receives 09-07-2004

NVC forwarded petition to Kiev 09-13-2004

Never received packet 3

Downloaded packet 3 and returned 9-22-2004

Requested interview 10-4

NVC sent embassy her maiden name!

Sent embassy documentation showing passport name.

Notified of interview 10-1-2004 by email.

Never received packet 4

Embassy guard still had maiden name she was prepared with documentation!

Interview successful 10-4-2004

Arrive JFK 10-19-20

Arrive Phoenix 10-20-2004

Married 1-6-05!

Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting Waiting NOT WAITING

Laughing in the face of adversity, an old talent with a new use

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
If I understand correctly you enter the destination country with your passport from your country of citizenship but return to the US on your green card? The information on the Delta site is a little sketchy as it seems to differentiate between 2 year card and 10 year card in some places but not in others.

"if stay outside U.S.A. was less than 1 year and coming from the Western Hemisphere: <<you need>>Permanent Resident/Resident Alien Card (Form I-551)." Is the 2 year card as good as the 10 year card in this case?

rw

There is no difference between a 2-year card and a 10-year card as far as our rights are concerned.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Does anyone know if the European Union countries are ever going to move towards a common visa? It's a bear to apply for 5 or 6 visas if you want to visit multiple countries and require a visa for each.

AOS:

October 17, 2006 I-130/485/131/765 filed

December 22, 2006 Biometrics: Thanks Charlotte office for the same-day service!

December 30, 2006 Second Biometrics appt rcd:

January 06, 2007 AP is approved!

January 10, 2007 EAD is approved

February 13, 2007 AOS Interview: Appoved with passport stamping!

February 26, 2007 Greencard received!

Removal of Conditions:

February 12, 2009 I-751 Received.

March 17, 2009 Biometrics.

July 8, 2009 Card production ordered!

Does anyone know if the European Union countries are ever going to move towards a common visa? It's a bear to apply for 5 or 6 visas if you want to visit multiple countries and require a visa for each.

They already do..........it's called the Schengen Visa (started in the mid 1980s). The 15 Schengen countries are: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Greece, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden. All these countries except Norway and Iceland are European Union members.

----------------------------------------

K-1 Visa

04/17/06- NOA1

04/25/06- NOA2

10/24/06- Interview: Approved!

AOS (Green Card)

01/26/07- NOA 1

02/15/07- Biometrics Appointment

04/18/07- Interview Approved

06/08/07- Receive Welcome Letter

06/11/07- Receive Green Card

Removal of Conditions

03/30/09- NOA 1

04/15/09- Biometrics Appointment

07/07/09- Approved (via Email)

08/03/09- Receive Green Card

Naturalization

03/11/09- Mailed N-400

03/12/09- Received in Lewisville

03/12/09- NOA 1

03/18/10- Check Cleared

04/09/10- Biometrics Appointment

04/26/10- Received Interview Notice

05/27/10- Interview: Approved!

07/10/10- Received Oath Ceremony Letter

07/23/10- Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.