SarahMay

How we met? WWOOFing?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance and I are in need of some advice with regards to our K-1 application and the statement of how we met.

I came to the US in 2010 on an ESTA visa and volunteered with the Maine Application Trail Club for a few weeks. I then travelled to Chicago before heading back to Maine where I had organised to volunteer via WWOOF (World Wide Opportunities on Orgainic Farms) USA on my fiance's family farm, which is how and where we met.

We are now looking to process a K-1 visa, but are unsure if we can mention about WWOOFing in our statement of how we met.

We've found volunteering that involves any kind of compensation is an iffy subject and generally classed as "working".

Has anyone ever declared volunteering on their statement and had a problem?

Thank you for any help.

-Sarah

My fiance and I are in need of some advice with regards to our K-1 application and the statement of how we met.

I came to the US in 2010 on an ESTA visa and volunteered with the Maine Application Trail Club for a few weeks. I then travelled to Chicago before heading back to Maine where I had organised to volunteer via WWOOF (World Wide Opportunities on Orgainic Farms) USA on my fiance's family farm, which is how and where we met.

We are now looking to process a K-1 visa, but are unsure if we can mention about WWOOFing in our statement of how we met.

We've found volunteering that involves any kind of compensation is an iffy subject and generally classed as "working".

Has anyone ever declared volunteering on their statement and had a problem?

Thank you for any help.

-Sarah

For the purpose of this form, the "meeting" documented needs to be a face-to-face meet up within the last two years. So if you want to say you first became acquainted on a holiday to Maine for a little background, you don't have to go into detail. Describe dates and places of seeing each other since Summer 2013 to meet the actual requirements. That is really all that counts.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you both for your advice.

If asked about it in an interview, how then would we handle it?

Tell the truth, of course. :)

Thank you both for your advice.

If asked about it in an interview, how then would we handle it?

It doesn't matter. The embassy interviewer will just be making small talk with you. Say anything....I visited her farm to observe blah, blah, blah. We met in Walmart. .... He is not going to worry if you broke any perceived Customs and Border Patrol protocol by volunteering on a tourist visa or VWP. That is not his job or even his branch of the US government. The London interview is a brief chat that fills just a part of 5 minutes with the interviewer. You don't even have time to shake hands and sit down. He is standing at a counter behind glass like a teller at a bank. This process is really very easy. It is not like a detective team is pouring over ever thing you say and write trying to trip you up.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.