NewToK1

Kherson, Ukraine

20 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

My fiance lives in Kherson, Ukraine. I actually went to law school with her sister here in the U.S. Her sister and an attorney I worked with (who is also from the Ukraine) basically set me up. Before I knew it, I was in Odessa visiting her. Today, my K-1 paperwork was delivered to the Dallas lockbox.

What can I expect now? I know there are guides throughout the forum, but I'm curious as to if there is anything unique about the Kiev consulate? What should I expect? We're both nervous because she's been denied a tourist visa twice (to see her sister and nephew).

Hi On3H34rT, that's exciting news and I love Odessa! My fiancee is from there as well, and I was there visiting her most recently for about two weeks in early July. We stayed right near the beach in Arcadia.

We are about 3/4 of the way through the grueling fiancee visa process, and will be scheduling her interview in Kiev soon! I just received our case number from the NVC last week.

I don't think you'll have any problem at all being approved for a K-1 visa. Being denied a tourist visa doesn't matter... it's rare or pretty much impossible for someone from Ukraine to get a tourist visa, especially someone younger and single.

I was in Odessa at the end of May to early June - about 8 nights. We actually never went to Arcadia - I couldn't drink much for health reasons, and we weren't too interested in the party scene. We rented a nice apartment off Derybasivs'ka. The hosts spoke decent English, so it worked out. The price was incredibly cheap as well.

I really liked it there. We went and toured the cognac factory - I even brought back some myself. All in all, we had a very relaxing time, but never ventured to the beach.

I'll probably be going back around Christmas. I'll take a bus to Kherson from Odessa to meet her family. I'm not sure I'm ready for the cold though.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Nothing really to note at regarding Kyiv embassy. It's very easy for K1 visas as long as all your paperwork is in order. They have a great PDF in English and Ukrainian on their site explaining everything you need to do and what to bring.

There are no packet 3/4 for Ukraine. As soon as they receive the paperwork from the NVC, you can go online to schedule the interview and you bring everything to the interview.

1/4/13 - I129-F Sent | 1/8/13 - Received by USCIS
1/10/13 - NOA1 to VSC | 1/11/13 - Text/Email | 1/17/13 - Hard Copy Received
1/16/13 - Alien Registration Number changed
5/24/13 or 5/29/13 - Case Transferred to TSC
7/2/13 - NOA2 from TSC! (173 days from NOA1) | 7/6/13 - Hard Copy Received
7/18/13 - Shipped to NVC | 7/26/13 - Received at NVC and case number assigned
7/29/13 - In transit to consulate | 7/31/13 - Received by consulate
8/20/13 - Medical - Passed | 8/21/13 - Interview - Approved!
8/28/13 - Passport with visa ready to pickup from courier
10/17/13 - POE - JFK
10/28/13 - Applied for SSN and marriage license | 11/2/13 - SS card received
11/21/13 - Wedding

12/30/13 - I485/I765/I131 Sent | 1/2/14 - Received by USCIS
1/3/14 - NOA1 to NBC | 1/16/14 - Hard Copy Received
2/4/14 - Biometrics
3/7/14 - AP and EAD approved!
3/11/14 - AP/EAD card mailed | 3/14/14 - Received
4/10/14 - Interview Waiver letter
6/16/14 - Approved! | 6/21/14 - GC Received

5/2/16 - I-751 Sent | 5/5/16 - Received by USCIS
5/6/16 - NOA1 to VSC
6/14/16 - Biometrics

4/19/17 - Approved! | 4/22/17 - Letter received | 5/4/17 - GC Received

One slight problem with the Kiev embassy is the don't have the instructions written in Russian... and in many parts of southern and eastern Ukraine they speak predominately Russian. My fiancee is having a little trouble understanding the instructions because she is from Odessa and only speaks & understands Russian.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Don't learn russian, learn Ukrainian, it better. :)

As far as the consulate goes they really are nice and easy to deal with. They asked my fiance only one question. Good experience all in all. Another thing is to not wait for them to send you an interview notice letter but to go online and schedule your interview when the NVC status reads Ready. We saved ton of time that way.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

One slight problem with the Kiev embassy is the don't have the instructions written in Russian... and in many parts of southern and eastern Ukraine they speak predominately Russian. My fiancee is having a little trouble understanding the instructions because she is from Odessa and only speaks & understands Russian.

??it is not so .... In Odessa and other Ukrainian cities a lot of people understand the Ukrainian language??

Timeline

Hi On3H34rT, that's exciting news and I love Odessa! My fiancee is from there as well, and I was there visiting her most recently for about two weeks in early July. We stayed right near the beach in Arcadia.

We are about 3/4 of the way through the grueling fiancee visa process, and will be scheduling her interview in Kiev soon! I just received our case number from the NVC last week.

I don't think you'll have any problem at all being approved for a K-1 visa. Being denied a tourist visa doesn't matter... it's rare or pretty much impossible for someone from Ukraine to get a tourist visa, especially someone younger and single.

I just got B2 visa?? ?

Everything possible?✌?️

Timeline

You can get an idea of the process by taking a look at this http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow. My fiance is also from Ukraine, I've read the Kiev embassy reviews and it seems that it is a friendly, efficient place. We are also in the beginning stages of the K1 process ourselves. We are patiently waiting just like most here :-) I can say that those who are filed in late July/August seem to having a speedy process with the visas being sent to the California office. All the best to you and yours.

Tag

Priority Mailed I-129 on 8/10/15

Tracked and Received by Texas Lockbox 8/12/15

N.O.A.1 email/text 08/17/15

N.O.A. 1 hard copy 8/21/15

R.F.E. 09/02/15 ?

N.O.A. 2 email/text 09/24/15

N.O.A. 2 hard copy 09/28/15

N.V.C. Received 10/15/15

N.V.C Case#10/19/15

N.V.C. In Transit 10/20/15

Case Received 10/22/15

Medical 11/17/

Appointment date 11/18/15

Approval 11/18/15!!!!!!!!!!

P.O.E. J.F.K.- 11/27/15 ?????

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.