Vegas1

Green Card Holder/Permanent Resident Getting Married

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

I will try my best to make this story as short and clear as possible. If you have any questions, please ask.

My stepson will be arriving soon to the USA on a F1 visa. He will receive a green card and be a permanent resident of the USA.

He has a girlfriend back in Europe that he wants to marry.

From the information I have gathered ... it appears he would submit an I-130 and her status would be a F2-1

My question is, does an F2-1 have a speedier time than a regular F2 visa? I don't see this F2-1 classification on the visa bulletin and I can't find any information on F2-1 laws, rights, or timeframes.

Any information would be appreciated.

Filed: Timeline

He is not arriving on an F1 visa (nonimmigrant student visa). He is arriving on an immigrant visa for immigrating in the F1 category (unmarried over-21 child of US citizen); the actual visa will be F1-1.

After he becomes a permanent resident, if he marries and petitions his spouse, it will be in the F2A category (spouse of permanent resident). That is the category you will see in the visa bulletin. The actual visa will be F2-1.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.