Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Leaving without green card

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I have read that people who are LPR's can travel outside the U.S. for six months or less and return using only their passport and visa stamp (the stamp that was applied when they first entered the U.S.). As I understand it, in the case of some visa types (e.g. family based) these people have already applied for the green card (on the DS-230/DS-260) and done the required biometrics at the embassy in the country of origin.

People who are not yet LPR's (who have applied for the green card and are still waiting to do biometrics for it) need to apply for advanced parole or a reentry permit in order to leave the U.S. and come back.

My stepdaughter and her daughter (3 year-old) recently came to the U.S. on a family based visa (F1). They are in the process of waiting for their green cards and SS #'s in the mail.

The child would go back to China with her grandparents for a few months while her mother finds employment and arranges a more appropriate living situation. The plan is that when that is taken care of, she would come back to join her mother.

So at this point the child has her Chinese passport with the aforementioned visa stamp. Of course we would send the green card to her grandparents to use when they come back.

Would the passport with the stamp be enough for her to leave? Would the passport with stamp and green card be enough for her to return?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


The Chinese passport with the I-551 stamp is sufficient for her to leave. Your step-daughter may also want to give the grandparents a notarized letter allowing them to take her daughter out of the country. Here is a sample form from the US State Dept. that you can modify; http://photos.state.gov/libraries/unitedkingdom/164203/cons-acs/sample_letter_of_consent_to_travel.pdf

The Chinese passport and green card is sufficient for her to return to the US.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.