khrfx4

WARNING: Using Lawyers or Visa Services in Thailand & other Info

11 posts in this topic

First a run-down on how the process works.

Once you know the Embassy has your package from NVC, the next step is to assemble Packet #3 and send it to the Embassy. Actually you can and should start the assembly much sooner, because it entails quite a bit of work: Getting birth certificate(s), marital status document from the Amphur, divorce documents, filling out the DS-160, paying the fees, getting the bank receipt, filling out your profile on the https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/?language=English&country=Thailand

Once you finish the profile and pay the fees then you get a “transaction confirmation” on the last page of this profile web application which has to go in with Packet #3. There are many other documents to get if your fiancé has a name change or children or has adopted a child or has been in the military or been in the US before or worked in another country. Read Packet #3 instructions so you are familiar with what is needed.

Get all the information packets here: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas/packets.html

Read and be familiar with all of them pertinent to your situation even if you are using a lawyer. It is far better to be informed about this process as you are waiting for things to happen.

NOTE: If your fiancé has worked in another country s/he will need a police clearance from each country. These can take quite some time. I read where one lady needed a clearance from Japan and it took almost 3 months so get started on these other country police clearances immediately. DO NOT wait for your packet to get to the Embassy. I would start it soon after sending in the petition (I-129F). The Thailand Police Clearance alone takes exactly 3 weeks. Anyway, the point is it is a bit of work and the sooner you start the better.

Now once the packet is ready to be mailed to the Embassy…here comes your warning!

Make sure your LAWYER or VISA SERVICE sends the Packet via “THAI POST EMS”.

This gets the packet to the Embassy very quickly and you have the added benefit of tracking it. I have lived here for 6 years and EMS is very impressive. It is given very high priority. Within one to two days after getting Packet #3 the Embassy should send you an email with your appointment date. DO NOT allow your lawyer or visa service to send Packet #3 any way other than Thai Post EMS. INSIST ON IT!…DEMAND IT!…it is not that expensive. My package was 42 baht. It is insane NOT to use EMS. One very well known law firm here does not use it; at least the head of their Visa service does not use it.

You can then track it here:

http://track.thailandpost.co.th/tracking/default.aspx

Make sure you pick ENG in the upper right hand corner for English, enter your number and slide that stupid arrow to the right. The next page will be your tracking details. If someone signs for it, that information will be a link in the third column on the last entry. Click it for the details.

All EMS tracking numbers start and end with two characters like so “EN486175930TH”, this was our tracking number. Put it in and try it. It was received by the security guard on a Sunday, but he did not sign for it, though it had his name printed in Thai.

Here is how our mailing went so you understand how quick this can happen.

1. Mailed Packet #3 from Pattaya on Saturday, Aug 8th, 2015
  2. Received at Embassy by security guard on Sunday, Aug 9th, 2015
  3. Fiancé received email from Embassy with appointment date on Monday, Aug 10th, 2015.
  4. Appointment Aug 26th.

Make sure you stay on top of your lawyer or visa service to ensure they are assembling Packet #3 as quickly as possible. For those of you that are still at the NVC ask your lawyer or service to start the process on the following: “Marital Status” which requires your fiancé to go to the Amphur and she may need to bring her village headman with her as a witness, the Police Clearance, filling out the DS-160 and paying the fees. Especially start the Police Report NOW! The police report takes 3 weeks. DO NOT pay extra money, just start early and the cost is 100 baht.

There is absolutely no reason Packet #3 cannot be mailed to the Embassy as soon as your status turns READY on this tracking website using your case #: https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx

This means the Embassy has your case and is ready to receive packet #3. DO NOT be fooled by the wording on this site when it says they are ready to schedule your interview. That is NOT how it works with the Bangkok Embassy. They need Packet #3 first before they issue an appointment.

Actually, the next step is they will send you a letter telling you about Packet #3, but there is nothing in the letter you need to get started, though you should keep the cover letter and give it to the Police for the clearance as well as a copy of NOA2, however if you are ahead of the game a copy of NOA2 should be good enough. Be warned that the Police Clearance office ask me to write a letter saying I had asked her to marry me or I wanted to marry her or some such clap-trap. This is NOT listed as a requirement in the Embassies information. It was a flavor of the day the officer decided on to make the falang jump through hoops. I cobbled something up and mailed it off the same day via Thai Post EMS and it was accepted. It did not delay the process.

More details on request. I have made myself somewhat of an expert on this whole process up through getting the Visa, even though we have the medical to do next, I feel I have enough information to give advice and anyone who disagrees with my advice can certainly post a better reply. Just ask your questions in this thread.

If you are wondering we only have the medical to do and the appointment on Aug 26 and we should have our visa. I live here in Thailand with my Fiancé so this has been a fairly easy process on both of us. Actually, I’ve done almost all the work. I just told her to date this, sign this, press this key, etc. 555

10/11/2009 - Met in Thailand

12/30/2009 - Moved in together

I-129F (For Petitioner)

03/17/2015 - Mailed to US from Thailand

04/03/2015 - NOA1, Received at USCIS

04/07/2015 - Email saying routed to CSC

05/05/2015 - NOA2

06/02/2015 - Shipped to BNK Embassy

06/08/2015 - Finally got through to NVC and found out package had been shipped 6 days before.

Visa Application Process at Embassy for Fiance

06/09/2015 - Embassy received package.

06/15/2015 - Received Packet #3 in the mail. This is where I noticed the receving stamp from the Embassy.

08/08/2015 - Mailed Packet #3 (intentionally delayed)

08/09/2015 - Packet #3 received at Embassy

08/10/2015 - Received email from Embassy with appointment date of Aug 26th

08/26/2015 - Given passport back with 221(g) requesting more information to prove "Domicile"

------------ - We had a long voluntary delay for our own purposes which forced us to get another medical.

02/18/2016 - VISA APPROVED

03/04/2016 - Fiance arrived at LAX

03/14/2016 - Married

04/02/2016 - Mailed AOS to Chicago after getting certified copies of our Marriage Certificate

04/08/2016 - Immigration acknowledged receipt of all 4 forms via email and cashed the check for $1070

05/12/2016 - Boimetrics done.

07/25/2016 - Interview

08/01/2016 - Received 2-year GREEN CARD

04/24/2018 - Filed I-751 "Remove Conditions"

05/31/2018 - Rec'd NOA of I-751 filing  NOTE: Yes, it took that long

05/01/2019 - email to check status which said card was mailed

05/02/2019 - email to check status which said "Case Approved"

05/08/2019 - Received 10-Year GC in mail today.  Done!

No, the Embassy assigns it after receiving packet #3. Whoever's email address is on the DS-2001 in Packet #3 is notified of the appointment date by email.

I-129F (For Petitioner)

05/05/2015 - NOA2

06/08/2015 - Finally got through to NVC and found out package had been shipped 6 days before.

06/15/2015 - Received Packet #3 in the mail. This is where I noticed the receving stamp from the Embassy.

08/26/2015 - Given passport back with 221(g) requesting more information to prove "Domicile"

------------ - We had a long voluntary delay for our own purposes which forced us to get another medical.

03/14/2016 - Married

04/02/2016 - Mailed AOS to Chicago after getting certified copies of our Marriage Certificate

04/08/2016 - Immigration acknowledged receipt of all 4 forms via email and cashed the check for $1070

07/25/2016 - Interview

I have not read anywhere on this forum or heard about any validity for this letter, but there certainly would be some point at which it would not be accepted by the Embassy.

SHORT ANSWER

Ours was dated June 15, 2015. The Embassy received our package and reviewed it on Aug 10, 2015. I see no reason why she cannot get it two months prior to sending it in with Packet #3. I also see no reason to get it any earlier. Remember that the Amphur may ask her to bring her village headman in, if she has one, as a witness so she will need to arrange that and probably give him a little money…good old Thailand…no one ever does anything out of the goodness of their heart it seems.

NOTE: When my fiancé went to get hers someone at the Amphur told her it had a one month validity. In fact, when she finally got the letter, it had no validity on it. We had this letter translated and I will give the translation at the bottom of this answer. Somewhere in the Embassy’s documentation they do mention a validity for the Police Report of 1 year and the Medical of 6 months, but no mention of this letter’s validity.

LOGICALLY ANSWER

How logical is it for the Embassy to think your fiancé would get this letter, say 3 months ahead of time, and then go out and marry someone before sending it in? I think it is not likely the Embassy would worry about a 3 month time frame, though I would limit it to two months. Finally this isn’t a bad question to ask the IV Unit using their email address.

Several people have said it is not necessary to get this letter translated because the Embassy has Thai people working at the Embassy, but we did have it translated as I didn’t want to take any chances. The packet #3 instructions clearly say to have any Thai documents translated. The ONLY two documents we got translated were the birth certificate and this letter. The Police Report is in English. The birth certificate for sure I’d advise everyone to get translated as you will need that in the US. I would also advise to have it certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. That gives it the maximum strength. The translation service, if in Bangkok, will do this for you. Our two documents cost 2600 baht, so say 1300 each which included Thai Post EMS mailing back to us. My fiancé handed the documents into the translation service on a Thursday and we had the documents back at our home in Pattaya the following Wednesday.

TRANSLATED LETTER

LETTER OF CERTIFICATION OF MARITAL STATUS

No. 124/2558 Amphur office name

Address Amphur

Whereas (Amphur name and Province name) has received an application from (fiancé name, age, ID number and address), has submitted an application requesting to issue a letter of certification of marital status of herself, to be used as supporting evidence in applying for a visa for registration of marriage with a foreigner.

The Registration Office of (Amphur name) has already examined the evidence such as house registration, Thai National ID card and Family Registration Database as well as interrogated 1 personal witness, (witness name), position of Village Headman, (his address). It appears that (fiancé name) has not registered her marriage at the Registration Office of (Amphur name). Therefore, the applicant has fully qualified to register her marriage according to Civil and Commercial Code, Book 5 of Thailand, Sections 1448, 1449, 1450, 1451, 1453.

This letter of certification is therefore issued as evidence.

Given on 15th June, 2015

- Signature-

Name and title of person

affixing the official seal.

I-129F (For Petitioner)

05/05/2015 - NOA2

03/14/2016 - Married

07/25/2016 - Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I have not read anywhere on this forum or heard about any validity for this letter, but there certainly would be some point at which it would not be accepted by the Embassy.

SHORT ANSWER

Ours was dated June 15, 2015. The Embassy received our package and reviewed it on Aug 10, 2015. I see no reason why she cannot get it two months prior to sending it in with Packet #3. I also see no reason to get it any earlier. Remember that the Amphur may ask her to bring her village headman in, if she has one, as a witness so she will need to arrange that and probably give him a little money…good old Thailand…no one ever does anything out of the goodness of their heart it seems.

NOTE: When my fiancé went to get hers someone at the Amphur told her it had a one month validity. In fact, when she finally got the letter, it had no validity on it. We had this letter translated and I will give the translation at the bottom of this answer. Somewhere in the Embassy’s documentation they do mention a validity for the Police Report of 1 year and the Medical of 6 months, but no mention of this letter’s validity.

LOGICALLY ANSWER

How logical is it for the Embassy to think your fiancé would get this letter, say 3 months ahead of time, and then go out and marry someone before sending it in? I think it is not likely the Embassy would worry about a 3 month time frame, though I would limit it to two months. Finally this isn’t a bad question to ask the IV Unit using their email address.

Several people have said it is not necessary to get this letter translated because the Embassy has Thai people working at the Embassy, but we did have it translated as I didn’t want to take any chances. The packet #3 instructions clearly say to have any Thai documents translated. The ONLY two documents we got translated were the birth certificate and this letter. The Police Report is in English. The birth certificate for sure I’d advise everyone to get translated as you will need that in the US. I would also advise to have it certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. That gives it the maximum strength. The translation service, if in Bangkok, will do this for you. Our two documents cost 2600 baht, so say 1300 each which included Thai Post EMS mailing back to us. My fiancé handed the documents into the translation service on a Thursday and we had the documents back at our home in Pattaya the following Wednesday.

TRANSLATED LETTER

LETTER OF CERTIFICATION OF MARITAL STATUS

No. 124/2558 Amphur office name

Address Amphur

Whereas (Amphur name and Province name) has received an application from (fiancé name, age, ID number and address), has submitted an application requesting to issue a letter of certification of marital status of herself, to be used as supporting evidence in applying for a visa for registration of marriage with a foreigner.

The Registration Office of (Amphur name) has already examined the evidence such as house registration, Thai National ID card and Family Registration Database as well as interrogated 1 personal witness, (witness name), position of Village Headman, (his address). It appears that (fiancé name) has not registered her marriage at the Registration Office of (Amphur name). Therefore, the applicant has fully qualified to register her marriage according to Civil and Commercial Code, Book 5 of Thailand, Sections 1448, 1449, 1450, 1451, 1453.

This letter of certification is therefore issued as evidence.

Given on 15th June, 2015

- Signature-

Name and title of person

affixing the official seal.

Great response!

Can you please share the contact information for the company that did your translations? This sounds perfect since Kratai can drop the documents off in Bangkok on her way back from her hometown and have them mailed to her where she lives now.

On another note, since you are obviously familiar with Pattaya.. My is a hotel manager and wants to use her hotel address anything that may be sent to her because she doesn't trust anything sent to her apartment and I dont blame her. Is there anything wrong with doing that and how do we ensure that this happens when we fill out all the different addresses requested in the i129f? I just read on here today about a person who had their passport with new visa mailed to the wrong address and the embassy never even let them know it had been approved and mailed...

Timeline

Anybody else with experience on translating, or not, the Single Status certificate?

My fiancée had her's translated and her visa application went smoothly. Why risk delays by trying to cut corners?

CSC

4/14/2015 Sent I-129F via UPS

4/16/2015 Received NOA1

6/1/2015 Received NOA2

NVC

6/8/2015 NVC Received Petition

6/10/2015 NVC sent to US Embassy Bangkok (NVC Confirmed)

US Embassy Bangkok

6/13/2015 US Embassy Bangkok Received (tracked with DHL)

6/15/2015 "Case Creation Date"

6/26/2015 Status "Ready" CEAC case tracker

7/2/2015 Received Packet 3

7/7/2015 Received Thai Police Certificate via mail

7/10/2015 Mailed Packet 3 documents to US Embassy

7/13/2015 Received Packet 4 email/Interview Scheduled for 8/4/2015

8/4//2015 Interview (Approved!)

US

8/19/2015 I (USC) flew to Thailand

8/26/2017 We flew back together to Colorado, USA (LA California port of entry)

Marriage SSN

8/28/2015 Applied for SSN

8/28/2015 Obtained Marriage License

9/4/2015 Received social security card (SSN) with unmarried name via US mail

9/7/2015 Married in Colorado

AOS, AP, EAD

9/9/2015 Recorded Marriage License, Changed name SSN, Applied for AOS, AP, EAD

9/14/2015 Received social security card (SSN) with married name

9/16/2015 Received text and email NOA1s for AOS, AP, EAD

9/21/2015 Received paper NOA1s for AOS, AP, EAD via US mail

9/25​/2015 Received letter vis US mail scheduling biometrics for 10/5/2015

10/2/2015 Received RFE for not submitting 2014 tax documents

10/5/2015 Biometrics in Denver

10/9/2015 Responded to RFE by sending 2014 tax copies

11/18/2015 Received RFE stating EAD form was not an original signature?

11/19/2015 Signed the form in BLUE ink and returned via 2nd day UPS

12/10/2015 AP and EAD Approved

12/17/2015 Received Combo AP and EAD Card via US mail

Timeline

My fiancée had her's translated and her visa application went smoothly. Why risk delays by trying to cut corners?

Sand1982, what service did you use for translations and was it certified by the government as Khrfx4 above said as well? What did it cost you and what is the contact details for the service you used? I also sent you a private message just before seeing your response here. :)

I used the third one listed on the Embassy's list which can be found on this page...item #2:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/marriage.html

The reason we used them is the first two businesses did not answer their phones. For me that is always a sign of a poorly run business. Lastly, the lady she talked with she liked. My fiance always comments on how someone talks to her and treats her.

This is where we had it translated and everything went very well.

Bangkok Translation Office
888 Unit 13 Ground Fl.
Mahatun Plaza Bldg. Bangkok 10330
Tel: 0-2251-5666
Fax: 0-2650-9706
Translation fee: 400 Baht

Obviously, adding the Ministry of Foreign Affairs certification adds to the price. Expect about 1300 per document if you get it certified by the Min. of Foreign Affairs and that includes mailing back with EMS tracking. BTW, the birth certificate is translated into a form made up to look almost like the original with boxes for each piece of information. I was pleasantly surprised to see that.

On your other question of what address to use, I can't be 100% sure of my answer, but I can give my feelings. First of all, I don't blame her for not trusting the apartment. The apartment I stayed in when I first came here lumped all the mail for all the residence in one communal box on the ground floor.

I believe as long as she is consistent in using the same address on all forms and papers throughout the entire process there should be no problem. There is no way they would practically know it is a hotel and the address does not have to match her house book.

Edited by khrfx4

I-129F (For Petitioner)

05/05/2015 - NOA2

03/14/2016 - Married

07/25/2016 - Interview

Timeline

I used the third one listed on the Embassy's list which can be found on this page...item #2:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/marriage.html

The reason we used them is the first two businesses did not answer their phones. For me that is always a sign of a poorly run business. Lastly, the lady she talked with she liked. My fiance always comments on how someone talks to her and treats her.

This is where we had it translated and everything went very well.

Bangkok Translation Office

888 Unit 13 Ground Fl.

Mahatun Plaza Bldg. Bangkok 10330

Tel: 0-2251-5666

Fax: 0-2650-9706

Translation fee: 400 Baht

Obviously, adding the Ministry of Foreign Affairs certification adds to the price. Expect about 1300 per document if you get it certified by the Min. of Foreign Affairs and that includes mailing back with EMS tracking. BTW, the birth certificate is translated into a form made up to look almost like the original with boxes for each piece of information. I was pleasantly surprised to see that.

On your other question of what address to use, I can't be 100% sure of my answer, but I can give my feelings. First of all, I don't blame her for not trusting the apartment. The apartment I stayed in when I first came here lumped all the mail for all the residence in one communal box on the ground floor.

I believe as long as she is consistent in using the same address on all forms and papers throughout the entire process there should be no problem. There is no way they would practically know it is a hotel and the address does not have to match her house book.

Thanks for all the details! Good luck with your upcoming interview!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.