olafgypsy

How do you know if you need a waiver?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello all. I'm just wondering a couple of things about waivers:

1) How do you know if you need a waiver? My fiance was here on either a J1 or F1 Visa (not sure which) and may have overstayed by about a month / violated the conditions. He's not sure -- he's checking his passport today. But my question is, is there some way he or I can find out if he messed up and will be barred from re-entry, and thus will need to file a waiver?

2) When do you normally file the waiver? After the visa is granted, WHEN you file for the visa, or BEFORE (in which case we messed up).

3) Why would an adjudicator normally approve or reject a waiver?

I've checked out the guide, but can't find the answers there. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2007: Mailed I-129F via USPS Priority Mail.

Feb 24, 2007: I-129F arrived at VSC at 3:01 p.m.

Feb 27, 2007: NOA1

Feb 28, 2007: They cashed my check.

Mar 2, 2007: Touched! I'm guessing this was my check clearing :)

Mar 5, 2007: NOA1 arrived via snail mail.

Mar 15, 2007: NOA2!!!!!!

Mar 21, 2007: Petition sent to Bogota

May: We send Packet 3 by fax; fax never received.

June: We send packet 3 again; it's sent back because my fiance didn't write NONE and N/A.

July: We send packet 3 again . . .

July 23rd: We get an email from the embassy. Our interview is August 21st!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

A 3 year ban is in place after 180 days of illegal presence. Your fiance doesn't appear to have stayed this long.

Waivers are filed after visa denial due to overstay - illegal presence is a visa ineligibility. Waivers are based on the qualifying relative's (the USC) ability to prove extreme hardship in the event the waiver is denied and the USC is forced to relocate to the fiance/spouse's country permanently. Inability to prove and document extreme hardship results in a waiver denial. Waiver approval rate and timing different from consulate to consulate.

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/inel...ities_1364.html

http://bogota.usembassy.gov/wwwsc047.shtml

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
A 3 year ban is in place after 180 days of illegal presence. Your fiance doesn't appear to have stayed this long.

Waivers are filed after visa denial due to overstay - illegal presence is a visa ineligibility. Waivers are based on the qualifying relative's (the USC) ability to prove extreme hardship in the event the waiver is denied and the USC is forced to relocate to the fiance/spouse's country permanently. Inability to prove and document extreme hardship results in a waiver denial. Waiver approval rate and timing different from consulate to consulate.

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/inel...ities_1364.html

http://bogota.usembassy.gov/wwwsc047.shtml

Thanks, that's really helpful! In any case it doesn't seem likely that he will need one, but it appears we must cross that bridge when we come to it.

Feb 21, 2007: Mailed I-129F via USPS Priority Mail.

Feb 24, 2007: I-129F arrived at VSC at 3:01 p.m.

Feb 27, 2007: NOA1

Feb 28, 2007: They cashed my check.

Mar 2, 2007: Touched! I'm guessing this was my check clearing :)

Mar 5, 2007: NOA1 arrived via snail mail.

Mar 15, 2007: NOA2!!!!!!

Mar 21, 2007: Petition sent to Bogota

May: We send Packet 3 by fax; fax never received.

June: We send packet 3 again; it's sent back because my fiance didn't write NONE and N/A.

July: We send packet 3 again . . .

July 23rd: We get an email from the embassy. Our interview is August 21st!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.