Jamiema12

Selective Service

3 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I just got my conditions removed on my permanent residence and so now i am looking ahead to the Naturalization process and i have a question about the selective service section on the N-400.

I dont know my selective service registration number and i tried looking it up on the SSS website but they have no record. I should add that my registration took the form of me, at age 24, signing the bottom of the DS-230 at at the embassy where it says:

"I understand that completion of this form by persons required by law to register with the Selective Service System (males 18 through 25 years of age) constitutes such registration in accordance with the Military Selective Service Act".

As far as i knew i had registered and i know that not everyone who becomes a resident does so in the same way and so i assumed that the mailer received upon arrival was a general mailer sent to everyone. If i call the selective service offices will they be able to find my registration by using my alien number?

thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

You can call the Selective Service registration information line at 1-847-688-6888 t check your registration status. If they say you are not registered, fill out a 'Status Information Form'. https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Status-Information-Letter. After filling out the form, mail the form to the address on the form and you will receive a response back. When filing for your naturalization, submit a copy of the letter you receive back from them. You always, always, always, keep the original with you. You will want to have it for college, etc., or whenever information is requested on it as to why you did not, or failed to register. Please read the link I sent you and the below article. My husband did the same thing and had no problems with naturalization.

How to Get an Official Response from Selective Service

If you did not register with Selective Service, and are now a man 26 years old or older, you may be ineligible for certain federal or state programs and benefits, including U.S. citizenship. Some agencies may ask you to provide an official response from the Selective Service indicating if you were or were not required to register.

Complete a request form for a status information letter available here. You will have to describe, in detail, the circumstances you believe prevented you from registering and provide copies of documents showing any periods when you were hospitalized, institutionalized, or incarcerated occurring between your 18th and 26th birthdays. If you are a non-citizen, you may be required to provide documents that show when you entered the United States. Please include your name, social security number, date of birth, and return address.

You can call Selective Service to receive such a letter, 1-847-688-6888. Your call will be answered by an automated voice processing system. Please refrain from pressing any numbers, and an operator will soon come on the line to assist you.

IMPORTANT: When you get your status information letter from Selective Service, KEEP this important document in your permanent files for future reference. Provide a COPY of your status information letter to submit with your application for student financial aid, employment, security clearance, U.S. citizenship.

Edited by MouadsWife

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

thank you,

I called the selective service and they said the same thing. The gentleman i spoke to seemed very nice and understanding as if it was pretty common for USCIS to not transmit the registration data to them when they say they will. He said if I send a request for a Status Info Letter stating my case as I described it above that their response would be "Very Good" so i sent one off immediately.

i also found a passage in the USCIS policy manual "http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartD-Chapter7.html#"

that states:

" The status information letter will indicate whether a requirement to register existed. The applicant must show by a preponderance of the evidence that his failure to register was not a knowing or willful act.​ [9] Failure on the part of USCIS or SSS to complete the process on behalf of the applicant, however, will not constitute a willful failure to register on the part of the applicant.​"

So I am hoping for some sort of retro-active "You actually were registered after all, sorry it took us so very long to process it, heres your sss number card, have a nice day" type of response. As I have read of a few of cases where people have received a response stating that they were actually registered, even though the website said they weren't

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.