CAMama3

Cancelling CCB/UCB benefit payments

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I haven't checked our Canadian bank accounts for a while and today I did because I got a letter in the mail about CCB and UCB (child benefit payments). I was pretty confused since I shouldn't be getting these anymore (including some lump sum backpay from the new system?), so I checked our accounts and they are still getting put in. I had told them we left already, so I am utterly confused. I will call again on Monday, but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this. Will I just have to cut them a cheque for the total?

BTW, I'm the USC and a Canadian permanent resident. Husband is Canadian and because we are married, I maintain my Canadian permanent residency. Not sure if any of that makes a difference.

K1 Vancouver

AOS

4/4/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent

4/6/15- Package received

4/9/15- NOA1- text/email

4/13/15- NOA1 hard copy EAD/AP (NOA1 dated 4/7)

4/14/15- NOA1 hard copy AOS (NOA1 dated 4/7)

4/17/15- Biometrics Letter received

4/29/15- Biometrics completed

6/23/15 (Day 77)- Service request

7/2/15 (Day 86)- Service request complete, email of approval of EAD (approved on June 30)

12/29/15- Interview

Timeline

Phew, sounds easy enough. Thanks for the quick reply!

K1 Vancouver

AOS

4/4/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent

4/6/15- Package received

4/9/15- NOA1- text/email

7/2/15 (Day 86)- Service request complete, email of approval of EAD (approved on June 30)

12/29/15- Interview

There are two numbers to call directly to make sure you do not have them deposit anymore. Without those phone calls you will get the money and then when you file your exit taxes, they will want it all back! Don't spend a dime! If you have a CRA account then you can make sure you do not get direct deposits.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Two numbers? I think I just called the child benefit line before. (Honestly, it's a blur now) That's who I was going to call on Monday. Is the other one the non-resident line or the overpayment line?

K1 Vancouver

AOS

4/4/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent

4/6/15- Package received

4/9/15- NOA1- text/email

12/29/15- Interview

No there is a number for CCTB and a number for GST cheques (and probably a separate number for UCB).

So you have to make sure you cancel any GST cheques too.

I continued to get the GST cheques and had to pay back all the money. I kept it in a Canadian account (they mailed me the cheques... I had to mail them to my bank... ARGH!)

When I tried mailing them back to them, with a note saying I was no longer in Canada and couldn't receive them, they sent me a new cheque. How daft can ya get?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

No there is a number for CCTB and a number for GST cheques (and probably a separate number for UCB).

So you have to make sure you cancel any GST cheques too.

I continued to get the GST cheques and had to pay back all the money. I kept it in a Canadian account (they mailed me the cheques... I had to mail them to my bank... ARGH!)

When I tried mailing them back to them, with a note saying I was no longer in Canada and couldn't receive them, they sent me a new cheque. How daft can ya get?

Bah. What a gong show!

I just read some other threads about others having trouble stopping payments too, so I'll be sure to keep tabs on it now.

Thanks for the info! Found all the numbers to call. Didn't call GST/HST the first time...

K1 Vancouver

AOS

4/4/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent

4/6/15- Package received

4/9/15- NOA1- text/email

12/29/15- Interview

Yay! Can you list them here? We might be able to add them to a stickied topic.

Timeline

Of course!

CCTB and UCCB: 1-800-387-1193

GST/HST: 1-800-959-1953

I haven't called them yet... was waiting for at least one of my children to nap... and now the phone isn't charged! I will report back once I do.

K1 Vancouver

AOS

4/4/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent

4/6/15- Package received

4/9/15- NOA1- text/email

12/29/15- Interview

Timeline

I called CCTB/UCCB today and they said it did show up that we were out of the country, but it didn't update in their system until July 2.... oooookay. Anyway, I was then transferred to the international line. He said that it showed our address change from back in February and didn't know why we kept getting paid. He asked when we moved exactly and I assume inputted that somewhere. He said they will mail me a form with instructions about how to pay back the money and that I should no longer be receiving payments. He said I didn't have to call GST/HST and it was all taken care of. Hopefully that is the end of that!

K1 Vancouver

AOS

4/4/15- AOS/EAD/AP sent

4/6/15- Package received

4/9/15- NOA1- text/email

12/29/15- Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.