Donia

Visisting Canada

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi! We're a US citizen and a Canadian who both lives in Texas. My Canadian husband is a permanant resident and has his green card. We want to visit Canada in the Summer because I've never been there and my husband wants to introduce me to his friends and show me where he grew up. Our question is this...how does he declare himself at the boarder and will there be any problems crossing over and back? Or at least any that you can think of. We're just not exactly sure how to do it without them thinking that he's trying to bring me to Canada to stay. We have a house in Texas, all his belongings are there and I have children who live in Texas as well.

I suspect you actually meant "at the airport" (San Antonio to Canadian border is easily a 2-day complete drive).

The return ticket (yours) will probably be enough for CIC officer at the airport (or if you really do want to drive, border); his GC should be adequate to show to USCIS officer at PFI (or CBP at border).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

We've been to Canada several times since I got my green card... we have had no problems crossing.. Just answer alltheir questions and you will be fine.. They will ask citizenship, just say canadian and american.. they might ask how long you are going for, what his status is in the US.. that sort of thing.. it has never even come up that they think i am bringing my husband to canada to stay...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The few times when my wife and I (Im the Canuck) travel, its been very easy. Handed them our passports (mine is Cdn, hers is American) and thats about it. They are usually more concerned about me than her for some strange reason, even though I'm the Cdn!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm goin gto S'toon fo rup to a month this summer, I will be getting my fill of Hortons coffee!! Don't get in my way!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
I suspect you actually meant "at the airport" (San Antonio to Canadian border is easily a 2-day complete drive).

The return ticket (yours) will probably be enough for CIC officer at the airport (or if you really do want to drive, border); his GC should be adequate to show to USCIS officer at PFI (or CBP at border).

We will be driving, actually. Which means that there will be no return ticket.

Thanks, everyone, for the replies! That makes me feel much better.

Timeline

Should be no problem. Just bring ties to the U.S. with you (mortgage, kid's enrollment in school, employment letter, etc., etc.).

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

all I did when I crossed the border into Canada was show them my green card... I did this both ways.... I didn't have any problems ... I did have my passport handy in case they wanted to see that too but they didn't ask for it....

We drove too...

Should be no problem. Just bring ties to the U.S. with you (mortgage, kid's enrollment in school, employment letter, etc., etc.).

why would they have to?? he is a permanent resident of the United States already...

his proof is his green card...

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

why would they have to?? he is a permanent resident of the United States already...

I think her bigger concern is about her ( the USC) and being questioned going into Canada and what issues may arise questioning her intent.

google.gif

Timeline

Oops, missed the green card bit. :) I would think that would be a good "proof of ties to the U.S." for her too since her husband is a permanent resident of the U.S.

But if she has concerns, bring paperwork. It's not a hassle to bring and I know I'd feel much better if I was in her situation.

Edited by misa

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline

I think her bigger concern is about her ( the USC) and being questioned going into Canada and what issues may arise questioning her intent.

her intentions are to visit family.... that is what we said and we had no problems...

they just asked why we were going to Canada and how long we were planning to stay....

just be truthful and you should have no problems....

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When we travelled to Ottawa for Christmas we went up to Immigration together and handed over our passports. The official asked us where we lived, what my husband (US citizen did) there, what I did there, where we were going, why and for how long. That was it - nice and easy. You should have no problems - just answer the questions. Enjoy your visit and meeting your husband's friends and family. Canada is a lovely place to visit - and don't forget to visit a Tim Hortons!.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Timeline

Do Americans need passports to get back into the country yet if they're driving from Canada? Or is it just flying even for them that passports are required.

I get all confused.

It may be better just to get your passports updated if you haven't already, just in case.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
Do Americans need passports to get back into the country yet if they're driving from Canada? Or is it just flying even for them that passports are required.

I get all confused.

It may be better just to get your passports updated if you haven't already, just in case.

as of now if you are driving across the border you don't need a passport yet ....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.