Faust942

So many questions

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Filling out the I-864 for my mother-in-law, who is the joint sponsor. She makes approx $100K annually and has adequate income to sponsor.

• On my mother-in-law's taxes for each year, she has filed jointly with her husband. Her husband is the first name at the top of their 1040. Her husband is retired.

So here's my questions:

1. Since he's the main name on their tax returns, do I need to have him fill out a I-864A? Even if my mother-in-law's income is enough proof?
  2. Under Part 6, Question 5 of my mother-in-laws I-864, "My current individual income is" do I put exactly what is stated in her taxes or do I use her W2? If I do use her taxes, what number should I get this from? Additionally, won't this number include my father-in-law's income aswell?
  3. If I do need to fill out a I-864A for my father-in-law, since he's retired where do I find his individual annual income?

Thanks, afterwards, more questions I'm sure.

Edited by Faust942

No.

You state what SHE would make this year, aka her yearly income.

You dont have to but you'll have to send your MIL's w2s with the tax transcripts to show her income only. You'd have to ask him where he obtains his income.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

No.

You state what SHE would make this year, aka her yearly income.

You dont have to but you'll have to send your MIL's w2s with the tax transcripts to show her income only. You'd have to ask him where he obtains his income.

1. Great! No I-864a it is then!
  2. Do I need exact amounts of what income she will earn this year?
  3. I don't have the tax transcripts, only her 1040's. I got her to print out some pay stubs from the past 2-3 months. I tried getting tax transcripts, but for whatever reason I can't request them online and would need to send in a form. I don't need to have the tax transcripts right? 1040's are just as good?
  1. I assume that in my MIL's I-864 under household size I put my wife down as a dependent? She lives with them.

As close as you can get the amount. Obviously it varies by hours worked. $$/hr x hrs/week x 52 = Yearly income (approximately. )

You will need more than the 1040... You need the ENTIRE tax return, that includes any schedules, w2s etc... that she would have also filed with a tax return. The IRS are not handing them out online but she can request them mailed to her or go in person to an IRS office and pick them up in person. However using the entire tax return is just as good an if anything almost better for your case because the husband is not doing an I-864a.

You only put your wife down as a dependent if they claim her on their taxes. Otherwise no, she is not their dependent.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

As close as you can get the amount. Obviously it varies by hours worked. $$/hr x hrs/week x 52 = Yearly income (approximately. )

You will need more than the 1040... You need the ENTIRE tax return, that includes any schedules, w2s etc... that she would have also filed with a tax return. The IRS are not handing them out online but she can request them mailed to her or go in person to an IRS office and pick them up in person. However using the entire tax return is just as good an if anything almost better for your case because the husband is not doing an I-864a.

You only put your wife down as a dependent if they claim her on their taxes. Otherwise no, she is not their dependent.

1. Yearly income after or before taxes?
  2. ENTIRE tax return would include 1099R, W2 and copies of their investments? I think they have an IRA and retirement investments.
  3. Thanks!

Gross income. Before taxes.

Whatever she would send with a papertax return. You'd have to ask her.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.