desiboyz84

F1 to AoS- What is the Alien Registration Number?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Sorry for starting a new thread. But it seems like topic title of my previous post confused other members and they started posting their own queries in it instead of anwering mine. I am not able to delete that post, So, I am starting a new post. Mods can merge it with the previous post if they wish so.

Hi

I am applying for AoS (with EAD and AP) through my USC wife and need some help with my doubts regarding the forms.

• What is the Alien Registration Number?
  • Form G-325A: File number starting “A” is the same as Alien Registration Number?
  • Form I-765 Application for EAD - I had an EAD card issued once I started my OPT after graduating in 2009 and it expired in 2010. Do I need to check “Renewal of my permission to accept employment” OR “Permission to accept employment”?
  • Form I-130: Part 17: “List spouse and all children of your relative”? Should be left blank if the beneficiary was not married before (and has no kids)? OR should the name of the USC wife be mentioned here?
  • Form I-130: Part 18: “Address in US where your relative intends to live”? Should be my current address in US?
  • Form i-485 Part 1) “Current USCIS status”. I am a student on F1, so should write F1?
  • Form I-485 Part 2) I am applying for an adjustment to permanent residence status because…” I think it should be option1 but I am confused by the phrasing.
  • Form 1-485 Part 3) “List present and past membership with every organization” Not sure what exactly they are looking for. I was and am member of engineering organizations like ASME, should I mention them?
  • Form I-864 Part5) Sponsor’s household size. Since the beneficiary is counted as principal immigrant, should the column “If you are married, enter 1 for your spouse be left blank” to calculate household size.

Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Answers in line, I'm not 100% sure about all of them, so if someone else posts and tells you I'm stupid, listen to them I guess ;)

Sorry for starting a new thread. But it seems like topic title of my previous post confused other members and they started posting their own queries in it instead of anwering mine. I am not able to delete that post, So, I am starting a new post. Mods can merge it with the previous post if they wish so.

Hi

I am applying for AoS (with EAD and AP) through my USC wife and need some help with my doubts regarding the forms.

• What is the Alien Registration Number?

I don't think you have one yet. I didn't have one at the time of application, so I left blank or put N/A (forgot which). I didn't have an OPT EAD though, maybe that one has it??

• Form G-325A: File number starting “A” is the same as Alien Registration Number?

Yeah, I think so. Left blank on mine.

• Form I-765 Application for EAD - I had an EAD card issued once I started my OPT after graduating in 2009 and it expired in 2010. Do I need to check “Renewal of my permission to accept employment” OR “Permission to accept employment”?

I'm not sure. You're in a specific category for EAD, and I don't know if what you put here makes a difference. I'd go with "renewal"

• Form I-130: Part 17: “List spouse and all children of your relative”? Should be left blank if the beneficiary was not married before (and has no kids)? OR should the name of the USC wife be mentioned here?

Blank. The USC spouse is the one who files the I-130, so their name is at the top of the form.

• Form I-130: Part 18: “Address in US where your relative intends to live”? Should be my current address in US?

Yes, if you're already living together and won't likely be moving soon.

• Form i-485 Part 1) “Current USCIS status”. I am a student on F1, so should write F1?

Are you still in status? You said your OPT expired.

• Form I-485 Part 2) I am applying for an adjustment to permanent residence status because…” I think it should be option1 but I am confused by the phrasing.

Your I-130 hasn't been approved yet, you are filing them together. I went with h and said "Concurrent filing of I-130 and I-485".

• Form 1-485 Part 3) “List present and past membership with every organization” Not sure what exactly they are looking for. I was and am member of engineering organizations like ASME, should I mention them?

Haha, this one! I put all the clubs and organizations I'd been in through college, like academic honor societies and sports clubs. It made for a funny conversation with the IO - I think they just want to make sure you're not a terrorist or a communist, but it's ok to take it literally and put ASME on there too.

• Form I-864 Part5) Sponsor’s household size. Since the beneficiary is counted as principal immigrant, should the column “If you are married, enter 1 for your spouse be left blank” to calculate household size.

Your household size is 2. I believe you enter "1" in that field, and in the end you should end up with 2 (the sponsor needs to support themselves and their immigrant spouse)

Thanks

Thanks a lot. All your answers make sense especially the I-485 Part2. I did not read option (a) properly I guess.

I had an OPT based on my undergraduate degree and F1 visa. That F1 visa and OPT expired in 2010. I never filed for H1 as I went back to my home country in 2010. Started PhD program in 2012 on a new F1 visa. I am maintaining my status since 2012 and plan to maintain irrespective of the AoS application. For form I-765, I am confused as to my old OPT/EAD that expired in 2010 should be "renewed" OR this is a fresh EAD application with no connection to a 5 year old expired EAD.

Also, regarding I-693, I thought that it requires a full medical examination (covering whatever is mentioned in the form) and vaccines. I called up civil surgeons as per the USCIS site and it looks like it would cost $200-$300 for the whole thing (assuming I can get some vaccines at my school's student health clinic for free). I read this thread (http://www.visajourn...nt-rip-you-off/) and people are talking about getting only vaccination transcribed for about $50ish. Am I doing something wrong by getting the full exam and not just transcribing the vaccinations?

Edited by desiboyz84

Timeline

Ok, so your status is F-1.

Not sure about EAD. Guess it's not a renewal since it expired 5 years ago. It is a new one based on AOS. Need someone who knows for sure, but I think it won't matter much in the end. You're in a specific (and new) category for a new EAD, that's what's important to note down on the application (you can find the list of codes either on the form or the instructions).

The I-693 - I got vaccines at my school, also did the TB test there and brought the papers saying "negative" to the civil surgeon. But I did have to go through a physical exam and get blood drawn for the syphilis test. In all it was about $145, iirc. I didn't feel ripped off.

Don't use staples! Paper clips to hold the "related" papers together (like multiple-page forms) and then those giant paper clips to hold the whole packet together. I sent the two packets in two envelopes and inserted those into a bigger envelope.

Timeline

Look at this thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/556306-a-question-about-i-485/

On your question:

People say option A is correct.

Timeline

Got it. So, even if I don't have NOA on I-130 I can still use option A.

Did you use two packets to separate I-130 and I-485? OR just made two packets randomly becuase there were a lot of documents?

I separated the I-130 and I-485 packages, each in its own envelope, and labeled the envelope. Each has a cover letter with its own little table of contents. Then I put these two envelopes into a larger one for mailing.

As for option A, like I said I didn't do it that way and nobody batted an eyelash. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks a lot. All your answers make sense especially the I-485 Part2. I did not read option (a) properly I guess.

I had an OPT based on my undergraduate degree and F1 visa. That F1 visa and OPT expired in 2010. I never filed for H1 as I went back to my home country in 2010. Started PhD program in 2012 on a new F1 visa. I am maintaining my status since 2012 and plan to maintain irrespective of the AoS application. For form I-765, I am confused as to my old OPT/EAD that expired in 2010 should be "renewed" OR this is a fresh EAD application with no connection to a 5 year old expired EAD.

Also, regarding I-693, I thought that it requires a full medical examination (covering whatever is mentioned in the form) and vaccines. I called up civil surgeons as per the USCIS site and it looks like it would cost $200-$300 for the whole thing (assuming I can get some vaccines at my school's student health clinic for free). I read this thread (http://www.visajourn...nt-rip-you-off/) and people are talking about getting only vaccination transcribed for about $50ish. Am I doing something wrong by getting the full exam and not just transcribing the vaccinations?

I had OPT in the past and filed the EAD as a new appliation as the OPT is strictly a one off tied to the degree program. Also, if you have the old OPT card, it will have an A number on there as USCIS case number (if you still have the delivery notice that came with it you can see that there is an A before it), I ended up putting that on my application, but it turns out they gave me a new number anyways, so I don't think it carries over.

I paid a fee of $300 for the surgeon exam. That was without any vaccines, for which i got boosters at my school for free.

ROC Timeline:

May 31: Package mailed    

June 8: NOA1 received, dated June 2

June 27: Biometrics done

Sept 25: Case Status Update Card in Production

Thanks. I have a few more questions.

- If I am using cashiers check for the fees, does the petitioner's name need to be on the check?

- Petitioner's passport copy requires ALL pages (including black ones)?

- Beneficiary's passport copy requires ALL entry stamps?

- Like mentioned before, I can assemble I-130 packet and a separate I-485 packet (that include I-864,I-765, I-131) and then send them in one envelope?

- Include cover letter for I-130 packet, cover letter for I-485 packet and then an overall cover letter?

- Is it ok (or suggested) to use paper tabs to mark different documents?

Thanks

Edited by desiboyz84

Timeline

Again, answers inline.

Thanks. I have a few more questions.

- If I am using cashiers check for the fees, does the petitioner's name need to be on the check?

I don't know, I think they just need to be able to take your money. Our checks had both our names on them (joint account), and we used personal checks, not cashier's.

- Petitioner's passport copy requires ALL pages (including black ones)?

Black, or blank? I don't know, I did sent copies of ALL pages (twice, even, for I-130 and I-485). Heard nothing of it, so I guess it was ok. I rationalized it thus: showing them ALL the pages shows ALL of your entry stamps, or lack thereof.

- Beneficiary's passport copy requires ALL entry stamps?

Oh, see above?

- Like mentioned before, I can assemble I-130 packet and a separate I-485 packet (that include I-864,I-765, I-131) and then send them in one envelope?

Yep. I think you're overthinking this one ;)

- Include cover letter for I-130 packet, cover letter for I-485 packet and then an overall cover letter?

That is what I did. Overall cover later was super-short, but whatever. It might help the mailroom people put your stuff in the right place, so it's probably good to have.

- Is it ok (or suggested) to use paper tabs to mark different documents?

Ok? Yes, I did so. Suggested, not that I know of. My packets all had labeled tabs like they were fancy dictionaries or something

Thanks

Thanks again!! This is stressing me so much. I am finding more questions that confuse me:

- Does the student job as TA count as employment for G-325A and anywhere else in the application?

- G-325A is filed for purpose... Should I check others and specify that it is for concurrent filing of I-130 and I-485? For both beneficiary and petitioner?

- I-130, Part 14, when did your relative arrive in US, this refers to first OR latest entry?

- I-130, Part 22, your relative will apply for AoS in which office? Chicago?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.