caseyk55

Any advice?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

This is my first post so forgive me if I mess something up. I'm an American citizen and have lived in Peru for 2 years. I have my carnet de extranjeria and plan on living here for the next few years. My Peruvian fiancee and I just got engaged, so we're new to the Visa thing. We would like to marry in February. For my work, I have to return to the US in March for about 6 months before returning to Peru. Obviously I would like her to go with me.

She has applied for a B2 tourist visa twice in the last 4 months and been denied both times. The first because her income isn't high enough and she was told all she needed was a letter from a US sponser. We got that for the second time, but this time she was told the letter didn't matter and was denied because she doesn't have sufficient reason to return to Peru. This happened early this week and only 2 of the 66 applicants that day were given Visas!

We don't have the funds to keep applying over and over! So, should we try for round 3 of the B2 visa, with no reason to think it would end any differently? Or maybe try to do a K1? For the K1 could we have the religious wedding here in Peru and just go to the courthouse in the US to make it legal? But, I've heard it can take up to a year for her to get her green card and I'm not sure if we'd be able to stay in the US that long. I'm not sure there's a good option! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

This is my first post so forgive me if I mess something up. I'm an American citizen and have lived in Peru for 2 years. I have my carnet de extranjeria and plan on living here for the next few years. My Peruvian fiancee and I just got engaged, so we're new to the Visa thing. We would like to marry in February. For my work, I have to return to the US in March for about 6 months before returning to Peru. Obviously I would like her to go with me.

She has applied for a B2 tourist visa twice in the last 4 months and been denied both times. The first because her income isn't high enough and she was told all she needed was a letter from a US sponser. We got that for the second time, but this time she was told the letter didn't matter and was denied because she doesn't have sufficient reason to return to Peru. This happened early this week and only 2 of the 66 applicants that day were given Visas!

We don't have the funds to keep applying over and over! So, should we try for round 3 of the B2 visa, with no reason to think it would end any differently? Or maybe try to do a K1? For the K1 could we have the religious wedding here in Peru and just go to the courthouse in the US to make it legal? But, I've heard it can take up to a year for her to get her green card and I'm not sure if we'd be able to stay in the US that long. I'm not sure there's a good option! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

If the US embassy has denied her tourist visa twice because she doesn't have enough evidence to go back to Peru, then more than likely, she will be denied a third time. She can try again and take more evidence with her to prove she has to go back, such as bank accounts, employment and/or school letters, etc., but again, that still doesn't guarantee that she will be approved.

If staying permanently in the US is not option, then a K1 or CR1 visa is out of the question as well because as a permanent resident she has to live here in the US, permanently. The only way for her to be able to live anywhere else is if she's a US citizen and she can apply for citizenship 90 days before her third year as a permanent resident if she's still married to you.

I'm afraid those are your only options.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.