Darryl

Any news about DCF filers waiting for Montreal interview?

137 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Hey all,

When we got the notice from montreal, we were at the stage of gathering everything for that checklist. In the next couple of weeks we will have it all. We're just waiting for his passport to come in. Do you guys think we should send the checklist back to them to wait for the next steps? Another thing that is bad is that I'm using a co-sponsor and her form is only good for 6 months.

hi seiren

i think in your case, you should e-mail or call montreal directly and ask for their guidance. i imagine you had your petition approved before jan. 23, 2007 but you are still affected by the Adam Walsh Act. since they will have to re-approve your petition, your application (even when they receive it) may be delayed.

best case scenario for you is that they will process your application (while you and montreal waits for your petition re-approval) and than your whole timeline won't be affected much at all. for your information, i had my petition originally approved in montreal in mid-august 2006, i sent the checklist back to them the third week of september 2006 and as of january 23, 2007, i still did not receive my interview notice. of course i received the devastating news that my application was delayed due to adam walsh act in early february 2007.

now i'm sitting and waiting like everybody else.

best of luck to you,

matt

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Has anyone heard anything from Montreal lately? I think I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they have any new information.

Darryl

08/26/2006 Wedding in Canada

09/05/2006 Filed I-130 petition at Toronto US Embassy

09/05/2006 I-130 approved at Embassy

09/29/2006 Packet 3 arrived with official approval letter

10/13/2006 Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal via registered mail

10/17/2006 Montreal rec'd Packet 3

11/01/2006 Called Montreal - said interview would be scheduled Jan/Feb

01/10/2007 Called Montreal - said interview would be scheduled in Feb

02/06/2007 Called Montreal - were told communication was coming

02/10/2007 Rec'd letter from Montreal re: Adam Walsh Act delays

03/13/2007 Rec'd letter from Montreal saying we're clear from Adam Walsh and back on track

03/15/2007 Rec'd email from Montreal saying interview would be scheduled in next 4-12 weeks

Unknown Finally had interview in Montreal - passed!

Unknown Got green card in the mail

unknown Applied for & rec'd SSN

08/20/2007 Moved to the USA

03/01/2009 Starting sending in my I-751 removal of green card conditions

Timeline

AWESOME! ...sarcasm is key in this game...

I just called Montreal - here was the pretty close word for word conversation

ME: Hi, can you please check the status of case #.....?

MTL: There has been no change

ME: According to the letter sent back at the beginning of February - the cases were being sent to USCIS, has that happened?

MTL: The required information has been sent to USCIS however we have not received anything back from them

ME: Is there any way to track the cases from USCIS?

MTL: No

ME: Have any cases come back that were sent from Montreal?

ME: Has there been any time frame from USCIS as to how long it will take?

ME: Are these petitions given any sort of preference or are they put at the end of the list?

MTL: No idea

ME: So essentially there is no telling whether this will be a 10 day or 10 year delay?

ME: And there is no way to track any of the progress?

ME: Is there anything people can do?

MTL: Wait

ME: Thank you for your time

Awesome! I just love this process. How is it that no one seems to know anything about any of this?

03/13/2007 Rec'd letter from Montreal saying we're clear from Adam Walsh and back on track

03/15/2007 Rec'd email from Montreal saying interview would be scheduled in next 4-12 weeks

Timeline
AWESOME! ...sarcasm is key in this game...

I just called Montreal - here was the pretty close word for word conversation

ME: Hi, can you please check the status of case #.....?

MTL: There has been no change

ME: According to the letter sent back at the beginning of February - the cases were being sent to USCIS, has that happened?

MTL: The required information has been sent to USCIS however we have not received anything back from them

ME: Is there any way to track the cases from USCIS?

ME: Have any cases come back that were sent from Montreal?

ME: Has there been any time frame from USCIS as to how long it will take?

ME: Are these petitions given any sort of preference or are they put at the end of the list?

MTL: No idea

ME: So essentially there is no telling whether this will be a 10 day or 10 year delay?

ME: And there is no way to track any of the progress?

ME: Is there anything people can do?

MTL: Wait

ME: Thank you for your time

Awesome! I just love this process. How is it that no one seems to know anything about any of this?

thanks for the update darryl......

i can't believe how useless montreal is with this whole ordeal. i'm happy to see other people around the world getting their DCF interviews rescheduled. it seems to be only a one month delay (or less) to people in parts of europe or central/south america. we have gotten no further correspondence from montreal and no help or reassurance.

i thought DCF was the fastest way to get a green card. but if we have to go through USCIS vermont, than i might as well have driven across the border and filed in the states. so frustrating!!

AWESOME, JUST WAIT............

matt

Greetings Direct Consular Friends,

My partner and I filed for an immigrant visa for him at the Toronto consulate in August. Since then I've moved to Santa Cruz, California. When this Adam Walsh nonsense began (and, as confirmed by the rest of you, Montreal was of no help) I walked down to my Congressman's (Sam Farr) office to ask for help. I've been in contact with them over the past month. And it's become very clear that what's going on is anything but clear to almost all parties involved. What has been happening, however, is that DCF cases like ours are being cleared worldwide without having to physically ship files back to the US and wait in a giant line. The person I've been in contact with at the Congressman's office says that she had cases from Japan and Fiji clear just last week and that mine (and other Canadians) should be soon (like this week or next). She'll know more by the end of the week and I'll post again when I hear from her. I'm sorry to post with pretty much no information, but I was heartened to learn that despite the fact no one knows what they're doing, things are getting done anyway.

Hang in! And keep up the commiseration!

Martha

Timeline
Greetings Direct Consular Friends,

My partner and I filed for an immigrant visa for him at the Toronto consulate in August. Since then I've moved to Santa Cruz, California. When this Adam Walsh nonsense began (and, as confirmed by the rest of you, Montreal was of no help) I walked down to my Congressman's (Sam Farr) office to ask for help. I've been in contact with them over the past month. And it's become very clear that what's going on is anything but clear to almost all parties involved. What has been happening, however, is that DCF cases like ours are being cleared worldwide without having to physically ship files back to the US and wait in a giant line. The person I've been in contact with at the Congressman's office says that she had cases from Japan and Fiji clear just last week and that mine (and other Canadians) should be soon (like this week or next). She'll know more by the end of the week and I'll post again when I hear from her. I'm sorry to post with pretty much no information, but I was heartened to learn that despite the fact no one knows what they're doing, things are getting done anyway.

Hang in! And keep up the commiseration!

Martha

thanks for the update martha

i'm glad your congressman was able to find some information for you (us) regarding this matter. i hope he's right and we'll find out some more info soon. unfortunately the senators and congressmen in my wife's home state of texas were next to useless, even worse help than montreal consulate.

hang in and wait..... tick-tock, tick-tock.

cheers,

matt

Timeline

Martha,

Thanks for the great post. Even though it's not definite - it's great to hear that Canadian petitions are in the works and will hopefully be started soon (and that they aren't physically getting the files sent back and forth). As nice as it is to hear about Rome, Paris, Laos, Cambodia, etc petitions getting approved and sent back...it stinks not hearing anything about the Canadian ones! This was a refreshing read.

That would be great if you could post again when you hear back next week! I'll be waiting on the edge of my seat!

Thanks

Darryl

Timeline

has anyone heard anything lately?

Darryl

Timeline
has anyone heard anything lately?

Darryl

Saw this on line today I dont know if it applies to us !!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58637

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2faws.gif Colin & Anne Wilson 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif

Consulate : DCF / IR-1: Calgary / Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 1990-05-12

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-08

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-08-16

I-130 Approved : 2007-02-06

Packet 3 Received : 2006-08-16

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-08-31

Packet 3 Recieved : 2006-09-06

Adam Walsh ( USCIS approved)

Calgary Visa Medical Completed: 2007-04-18

Calgary Xray & Blood Test Done: 2007-04-19

Packet 4 Received : 2007-05-14

Interview Date : 2007-06-13 ( Done)

Temporary reject!!

" No Canadian Assets Or continuing Canadian funds can be counted even if it is

well above Poverty Limit. require a US Sponcer..

New I 864 Sent to Montreal June 20/07 vis UPS

Now Waiting for Montreal Processing time again... they say 10 Days turn around ..

But when I called June 28/07 they said that there is a 2 week Back mail delay..

MY MY God !!!

July 16, 2007 Montreals says Visa Being printed tommorrow..

Visa Received : July 19,2007

US Entry : Aug 29/07

Timeline

Geez this is hard! I keep reading through the other DCF threads and keep hearing about all these other countries who seem to be moving forward and getting interviews scheduled - Honduras, Brazil, Korea, etc....but I have heard absolutely nothing about Canada! Too bad that places on the other seide of the world can be processed quicker than the country that borders it. It would be so encouraging just to hear one or two people getting contacted and getting some new let alone getting interviews re-scheduled.

I understand Montreal isn't at fault and their hands are tied - I just wish USCIS would be able to provide some time frames...even ballpark it.

Oh well - wait and see....

Good luck everyone

Darryl

B)

Timeline
Geez this is hard! I keep reading through the other DCF threads and keep hearing about all these other countries who seem to be moving forward and getting interviews scheduled - Honduras, Brazil, Korea, etc....but I have heard absolutely nothing about Canada! Too bad that places on the other seide of the world can be processed quicker than the country that borders it. It would be so encouraging just to hear one or two people getting contacted and getting some new let alone getting interviews re-scheduled.

I understand Montreal isn't at fault and their hands are tied - I just wish USCIS would be able to provide some time frames...even ballpark it.

Oh well - wait and see....

Good luck everyone

Darryl

B)

Following recieved from Montreal Consulate ( on a e-mail request from Me)

Quote ""

We received a positive answer, your case is now awaiting an interview date. A letter advising you of the response was mailed on the 8th of March to you.

Thank you ""

It is starting to move.... Have Faith

Colin

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2faws.gif Colin & Anne Wilson 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif

Consulate : DCF / IR-1: Calgary / Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 1990-05-12

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-08

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-08-16

I-130 Approved : 2007-02-06

Packet 3 Received : 2006-08-16

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-08-31

Packet 3 Recieved : 2006-09-06

Adam Walsh ( USCIS approved)

Calgary Visa Medical Completed: 2007-04-18

Calgary Xray & Blood Test Done: 2007-04-19

Packet 4 Received : 2007-05-14

Interview Date : 2007-06-13 ( Done)

Temporary reject!!

" No Canadian Assets Or continuing Canadian funds can be counted even if it is

well above Poverty Limit. require a US Sponcer..

New I 864 Sent to Montreal June 20/07 vis UPS

Now Waiting for Montreal Processing time again... they say 10 Days turn around ..

But when I called June 28/07 they said that there is a 2 week Back mail delay..

MY MY God !!!

July 16, 2007 Montreals says Visa Being printed tommorrow..

Visa Received : July 19,2007

US Entry : Aug 29/07

Timeline

Hi all,

I just wanted to share this fantastic letter I received today from US Consulate in Montreal...

Dear Darryl,

This office is pleased to inform you that it can proceed with the processing of your immigrant visa case. If we were forced to cancel your interview appointment because of new legal requirements, we will be contacting you to schedule a new interview date. Otherwise, please proceed with instructions previously received from our office and your case will continue to be processed as usual.

We recently contacted you to inform you that all I-130 petitions filed after July 26, 2006 at an overseas consulate would be required to undergo additional screening, which could delay the processing of these cases. This screening is a legal requirement of the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act ("Adam Walsh Act"), Pub. L. No. 109-248, which was recently passed by the US Congress. We have now received clearance from the Department of Homeland Security's Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to continue processing your case.

When communicating with this office, please provide your name and case number exactly as they appear at the bottom of this letter. Of the name in your passport does not match the name listed below, please contact us by email: Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov. You may also reach us by telephone at 514-398-9695 Ext4 between the hours of 2:00 and 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday, except US and Canadian holidays.

Thank you for your patience as we work through the new regulatory requirements of the Adam Walsh Act.

Sincerely

Immigrant Visa Unit Chief

US Consulate General Montreal

So what great news eh!!! Things are back on track and we're off to the races! Now we just wait for our interview date and we're off to Montreal. I must say - kudos to the government officials involved - this could have been a huge delay of months, maybe years... - to only be delayed 5-6 weeks is not bad.

I hope everyone starts getting the same letter and interviews scheduled. Good luck

Darryl

Great news that things are moving. I'm going to e-mail Montreal tomorrow and see if i'm getting a letter too....

03/29/2003 Our wedding in Canada

04/30/2004 I became a Permanant Resident of Canada!

IR-1/DCF

09/19/2006 Filed I-130

09/19/2006 I-130 approved!

10/05/2006 Packet 3 arrived with approval letter.

10/19/2006 Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

10/20/2006 Montreal receives Packet 3

01/23/2007 Everything currently on hold due to Adam Walsh Act :(

03/14/2007 E-mail from Montreal saying i'm clear from USCIS on Adam Walsh Act

03/22/2007 Got e-mail from Montreal that interview is May 22nd!

05/15/2007 Finally received interview letter

05/22/2007 Approved!!!!

05/28/2007 Visa arrived!!!

05/31/2007 Big move to the US

06/12/2007 SSN arrived

06/22/2007 Welcome letter arrived

06/28/2007 10 year Green Card arrived!!!

N-400

05/31/2010 Eligible to apply for citizenship

Timeline
Hi all,

I just wanted to share this fantastic letter I received today from US Consulate in Montreal...

Dear Darryl,

This office is pleased to inform you that it can proceed with the processing of your immigrant visa case. If we were forced to cancel your interview appointment because of new legal requirements, we will be contacting you to schedule a new interview date. Otherwise, please proceed with instructions previously received from our office and your case will continue to be processed as usual.

We recently contacted you to inform you that all I-130 petitions filed after July 26, 2006 at an overseas consulate would be required to undergo additional screening, which could delay the processing of these cases. This screening is a legal requirement of the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act ("Adam Walsh Act"), Pub. L. No. 109-248, which was recently passed by the US Congress. We have now received clearance from the Department of Homeland Security's Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to continue processing your case.

When communicating with this office, please provide your name and case number exactly as they appear at the bottom of this letter. Of the name in your passport does not match the name listed below, please contact us by email: Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov. You may also reach us by telephone at 514-398-9695 Ext4 between the hours of 2:00 and 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday, except US and Canadian holidays.

Thank you for your patience as we work through the new regulatory requirements of the Adam Walsh Act.

Sincerely

Immigrant Visa Unit Chief

US Consulate General Montreal

So what great news eh!!! Things are back on track and we're off to the races! Now we just wait for our interview date and we're off to Montreal. I must say - kudos to the government officials involved - this could have been a huge delay of months, maybe years... - to only be delayed 5-6 weeks is not bad.

I hope everyone starts getting the same letter and interviews scheduled. Good luck

Darryl

that's great news darryl!!

when i read your letter, iw as doing a little dance to celebrate. since i filed right after the adam walsh act, hopefully my interview date will be coming soon!! since i'm out on the west coast, my letter will probably come in another day or two (i hope). this is great great news. montreal isn't so usless after all.....

cheers,

matt

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.