Jump to content
Kari AnnaMae

Did not file taxes for the most recent tax year-interview in 2 weeks

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

My husband has his interview for his CR-1 visa in two weeks. I am his primary sponsor but my mom is his secondary sponsor because I do not make enough money since I am a student. We filed all of our papers at the NVC in 2014, so they all have 2013 listed as the latest tax year. I got a checklist in May saying that my mom needed to give information for 2014, although the case was completed and they said to present this information at the interview. So my mom redid her I-864 with the new information and sent me the 2014, 2013 and 2012 transcripts to bring with me to the interview. So that is all in line.

But, my question is whether they will be expecting me to bring in my updated information to the interview. They didn't say anything about mine in the checklist from the NVC, but on the interview date letter, the "financial information" is marked "This form is incomplete. You must present a completed form at your interview." As far as I know, this refers to my mom's incomplete form since mine was not checklisted. I would just bring my updated information and not worry about it, but the problem is that I have a tax extension for 2014 and have not yet filed. I didn't file yet because I need to file joint with my husband, but in order to do that, I need to have his social security number or taxpayer ID. He won't have a social security number until his visa is approved, so I was waiting until he got his visa to file. I have all of my tax forms filled out, along with all of my W-2s and appropriate paperwork (self-employment, educational credits). I plan on bringing all of that to the interview also. I have read that if you wrote on your I-864 that you filed a tax extension, then you must show your tax transcript at the interview. However, I did not write that on my I-864 since when I turned it in, the latest year was 2013 and I had already filed those taxes. Will this be a problem?



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.