Nimmboy

N-400 put on review after the interview

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hello....I'm not sure whether this belongs to Re-Entry Permit but here is my case.

I received my Green card in Feb'09 while I was on H4(dependent on my dad) and was in the middle of my undergrad there.So I immediately entered the US and applied for a Re-Entry permit for 2 years until I completed my studies.So I have been in the US from March'11 till date qulaifying for the rule of 30 months of continuous stay.

So I applied for the N-400 on March'15 after staisfying the rule of 4 years 1 day of stay.I was called for the interview today.In the interview the officer after the citizenship test,put my case under review and notified that I passed the test but said she will have to review my eligibility of continuous stay.

I'm have never heard of such kindof case.She said she will review and asked me tocheck the status online on USCIS website.I see nothing has appeared as of now.

Is there anyone of such case as mine ?

Filed: Timeline

Yes it's happened to me, same thing as you but after 2 months delay and I got a letter for citizenship swearing in.

However I was also unlucky in the sense that after I was interviewed for a Green Card in 1997, my file was placed in a "security check" for 9 years till I had a second interview and I didn't get my actual green card till 2007 and there was nothing I could do.

Just have to be patient..

Edited by jyaku

I-129F Mailed: Aug 16, 2013 | Interview at Embassy Jan 24, 2014

K-1 VISA IN HAND: March 6, 2014

I-485 Mailed: June 20, 2014 | NPIW: October 15, 2014 | Welcome Letter: June 23, 2015

2 YR GREEN CARD IN HAND: June 26, 2015

I-751 Mailed: March 20, 2017 | Approval Letter: February 24, 2018

10 YR GREEN CARD IN HAND: March 23, 2018

N-400 Filed Online: March 20, 2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello....I'm not sure whether this belongs to Re-Entry Permit but here is my case.

I received my Green card in Feb'09 while I was on H4(dependent on my dad) and was in the middle of my undergrad there.So I immediately entered the US and applied for a Re-Entry permit for 2 years until I completed my studies.So I have been in the US from March'11 till date qulaifying for the rule of 30 months of continuous stay.

So I applied for the N-400 on March'15 after staisfying the rule of 4 years 1 day of stay.I was called for the interview today.In the interview the officer after the citizenship test,put my case under review and notified that I passed the test but said she will have to review my eligibility of continuous stay.

I'm have never heard of such kindof case.She said she will review and asked me tocheck the status online on USCIS website.I see nothing has appeared as of now.

The 4 years + 1 day rule only applies if you had been a permanent resident living in the U.S. for 1 year before you left. That's where the 4 years comes from; they allow you to count that 1 year before you left towards the time required, which makes a total of 5 years.

If you left the U.S. right after you got your green card then you shouldn't have applied until you qualified under the 5 year rule.

This doesn't mean that your application will be denied... these rules are not enforced consistently. Just wait for the decision and best of luck. I hope you get approved. In the event that you do not, you should reapply 5 years - 90 days from your return (to be on the safe side and avoid further delays I would wait 5 full years from the date of your return). Hopefully you won't need this advice!

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

The 4 years + 1 day rule only applies if you had been a permanent resident living in the U.S. for 1 year before you left. That's where the 4 years comes from; they allow you to count that 1 year before you left towards the time required, which makes a total of 5 years.

If you left the U.S. right after you got your green card then you shouldn't have applied until you qualified under the 5 year rule.

This doesn't mean that your application will be denied... these rules are not enforced consistently. Just wait for the decision and best of luck. I hope you get approved. In the event that you do not, you should reapply 5 years - 90 days from your return (to be on the safe side and avoid further delays I would wait 5 full years from the date of your return). Hopefully you won't need this advice!

I'm trying to find where I read that... I'll post it as soon as I do or I'll post that I couldn't find it.

I'd hate to give out wrong information.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I'm trying to find where I read that... I'll post it as soon as I do or I'll post that I couldn't find it.

Thanks for your advice JimmyBoy ....What you have mentioned about one year of stay before I left, did not seem to be on the rule book when I applied.Do not get me wrong, I may have missed it.But it would be helpful if you can point out that rule for me.Thanks.

Timeline

OK, my first reply above was WRONG!

Here you go:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/article/chapter4.pdf

Bottom of page 23.

It clearly states that the time before breaking continuous residence does not apply towards citizenship but that the last 364 days outside the US before returning to the US does count. I had it backwards.

Sorry for the mistake; the rules can be confusing. So I'd say that you are eligible under the 4 + 1 rule, but again, there is a problem with USCIS interviewers not applying these rules consistently.

Edited by JimmyHou

Thats why you're one of the best here in the VJ ! Thanks for answering our questions here on VJ without being arrogant and preachy!

Timeline

Thats why you're one of the best here in the VJ ! Thanks for answering our questions here on VJ without being arrogant and preachy!

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.