Michael_88

POE Question??

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Visa Journeyer's!

If take the Greyhound bus to New York from Toronto would I run into delays in my bus leaving me when I hand over my visa packet to the boarder Officers? I know sometimes it takes a while for them to put people in the system. What do I do in this case? I'm literally going to have a rush wedding because my k-1 visa was issued june 5th and expires july 15th due to a misunderstanding with my medical. I'm not taking my car as that's an added expense I don't need right now. Should I just fly over and go through U.S. immigration extra early to board my flight? or will I be fine to take the bus and cross over? I just fear my bus leaving me. Answers would be great thanks!

Timeline

in the back of my approval letter it states that you should allow yourself at least an hour at the border at time of entry.. I'm sure they will need to bring you up into the offices for even further screening. Why can't you bring your car over? You mentioned added expense?.. Do you just mean as in gas and such? Sorry I'm just planning on driving my Canadian car over and don't want to run into any fees that I'm unaware about!

Timeline

I guess I'll just fly over then just to save me the stress of being left behind. When I say extra expense I mean as in paying for insurance/gas while I'm in the states. I'll come back for my car after I apply for my AP and can travel back to Canada. As for fees crossing through the border etc. I'm not sure about nor am I trying to encounter when I cross so I'm just going to play it safe and come back for the car at a later date. Do some research on that subject though. I'm not even going to bother bring mine as I have limited funds at the moment and I have to be out of here by July 15th.

in the back of my approval letter it states that you should allow yourself at least an hour at the border at time of entry.. I'm sure they will need to bring you up into the offices for even further screening. Why can't you bring your car over? You mentioned added expense?.. Do you just mean as in gas and such? Sorry I'm just planning on driving my Canadian car over and don't want to run into any fees that I'm unaware about!

Timeline

You have a good point. I'll just fly over and drive my car back to the U.S. on my next visit to Canada after I receive AP to travel.

There are import fees for cars. Certain vehicles cannot be imported as well.

Honestly I'd save yourself the trouble and fly. Greyhound could and possibly would leave you behind waiting for the next bus.

Keep in mind you only have a year to import a car after you POE, but 10 years to import the rest of your stuff.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Are you serious?! Why is this whole immigration process so annoying? lol I can't deal with all of these regulations/rules I just can't wait until everything is clear and done with.

Keep in mind you only have a year to import a car after you POE, but 10 years to import the rest of your stuff.

Are you serious?! Why is this whole immigration process so annoying? lol I can't deal with all of these regulations/rules I just can't wait until everything is clear and done with.

You're not supposed to import anything you've owned for less than a year, but it seems like cars are the only thing they make a fuss about.

I'm not sure why it's such a big deal that you only have a year to import a car?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I'm sure there is a big back story to that question/reason to why they only give you that window of time.

You're not supposed to import anything you've owned for less than a year, but it seems like cars are the only thing they make a fuss about.

I'm not sure why it's such a big deal that you only have a year to import a car?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.