Tater Salad 124

I-864EZ W2 Requirements

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello there,

I've browsed this forum a thousand times, and I'm finally writing my first post....

I'm not quite sure if this question has been asked yet, but I'm a little worried so I thought I would ask for help.

I am a US citizen who was given a 3 year work permit for Canada. During that 3 years, my GF became my wife, my 'kids' didn't refer solely to my dogs, and the company that I was working for (that I had been working for in the US prior) offered me a position back in my hometown of Houston.

We have completed and filed all the necessary paperwork ourselves (with help from the old internet), and have our interview scheduled for next Thursday in Montreal.

Now, I had filed the I-864EZ with the NVC, but noticed on there that in order to qualify for this particular form you had to provide copies of W2. I do not have W2s, as all of my work in the last 3 years was in Canada and thus I had no US income to report.

Will this cause a problem?

I submitted my T4s (Canadian equivalent), as well as my IRS tax transcripts to the NVC (both show $0 US income, but also show what I claimed as my income in Canada). My salary is above the poverty line, and I have a job offer letter that my company wrote me up showing my salary once I get to Houston.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

To qualify for the Ez form you must be able to show the poverty guidelines on one or more w2s. You unfortunately dont qualify to use this form.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I'm not sure why they didn't, maybe cause your job is continuing?

What I would do is make sure you have BOTH at the interview. Because your job will be continuing once you reach the USA it may end up being okay but it's better safe than sorry. Also bring proof of domicile to the interview as Montreal is VERY strict about it. They essentially want the USC already living in the USA.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thanks, I sure do appreciate the insight.

I did fill out the I-864 to bring as well, just in case.

As far as proof of domicile, all I have is a lease agreement, a job offer with salary information, as well as my customs 3299 form showing me leaving Canada on the 4th (when my work permit expires) . I also printed a current bank statement to bring with me as well.

I sure hope that's enough...

Timeline

Awesome, I sure hope so. It's a lot of work getting to this point, and it's nerve-wracking to have to wait for everything to culminate.

Thanks again, this forum sure helps!

Timeline

Thanks again for all the help and advice, our interview was yesterday and they definitely wanted the I-864.

We submitted that, and my wife was approved after a 15 min interview.

Thanks!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.