Jump to content
Tater Salad 124

I-864EZ W2 Requirements

9 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello there,

I've browsed this forum a thousand times, and I'm finally writing my first post....

I'm not quite sure if this question has been asked yet, but I'm a little worried so I thought I would ask for help.

I am a US citizen who was given a 3 year work permit for Canada. During that 3 years, my GF became my wife, my 'kids' didn't refer solely to my dogs, and the company that I was working for (that I had been working for in the US prior) offered me a position back in my hometown of Houston.

We have completed and filed all the necessary paperwork ourselves (with help from the old internet), and have our interview scheduled for next Thursday in Montreal.

Now, I had filed the I-864EZ with the NVC, but noticed on there that in order to qualify for this particular form you had to provide copies of W2. I do not have W2s, as all of my work in the last 3 years was in Canada and thus I had no US income to report.

Will this cause a problem?

I submitted my T4s (Canadian equivalent), as well as my IRS tax transcripts to the NVC (both show $0 US income, but also show what I claimed as my income in Canada). My salary is above the poverty line, and I have a job offer letter that my company wrote me up showing my salary once I get to Houston.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

To qualify for the Ez form you must be able to show the poverty guidelines on one or more w2s. You unfortunately dont qualify to use this form.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure why they didn't, maybe cause your job is continuing?

What I would do is make sure you have BOTH at the interview. Because your job will be continuing once you reach the USA it may end up being okay but it's better safe than sorry. Also bring proof of domicile to the interview as Montreal is VERY strict about it. They essentially want the USC already living in the USA.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I sure do appreciate the insight.

I did fill out the I-864 to bring as well, just in case.

As far as proof of domicile, all I have is a lease agreement, a job offer with salary information, as well as my customs 3299 form showing me leaving Canada on the 4th (when my work permit expires) . I also printed a current bank statement to bring with me as well.

I sure hope that's enough...

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.