Faust942

I-864/AOS Questions

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I am filling out the I-864 for my wife and need some help:

Our situation: My wife makes around 5-9K yearly working part time, and this amount is in her taxes for 2014. She only has 2014 and from what I've read 2014 is required with other years being optional. My wife lives with her parents and her mother is going to be filling a I-864A (or should she file a I-864 only? both?) as she makes easily 100K yearly and can be co-sponsor.

My Questions (I-864):

1. Does my wife need to send in more than 2014 tax return?
  2. Does she need to get an IRS transcript or is that only needed if she doesn't have her 2014 tax info?
  3. Does my mother-in-law need to file a I-864 or a I-864A or both of them?
  4. In Part 6 of my wife's I-864 form, under "Income you are using from any other person who was counted in your household size, including, in certain conditions, the intending immigrant." does she add my mother-in-law and her income?
  5. I don't live with my wife, so I'm not part of the household, so I don't need to be included in the information in my question 4, right?
  6. Can anyone provide sample forms for those in my situation that required a co-sponsor and what this co-sponsor required to send in?

My Questions (AOS):

1. In my NVC welcome letter, document cover sheet asks for "Evidence of income, Proof of relationship and Social Security Earnings Statement". What do these mean?

Thank you for your answers.

Edited by Faust942

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi. I will have my interview next week and here my answers to the mentioned questions. I hope it helps.

1. Does my wife need to send in more than 2014 tax return? She can send more but in the form's instructions say it is optional just to have more supporting documentation.
  2. Does she need to get an IRS transcript or is that only needed if she doesn't have her 2014 tax info? The same here. IRS transcripts are supporting documentation.
  3. Does my mother-in-law need to file a I-864 or a I-864A or both of them? She will be a joint sponsor, so she needs to file I-864. If she and her husband file taxes together. It's a good idea to have him to file the I-864A to prove that he knows about her being an immigrant sponsor.
  4. In Part 6 of my wife's I-864 form, under "Income you are using from any other person who was counted in your household size, including, in certain conditions, the intending immigrant." does she add my mother-in-law and her income? Until I know, no. The principal sponsor file her I-864 with her info. The joint sponsor I-864 with her own info. That section as the instructions say is when the sponsor needs income to complete the I-864P poverty guide amount. But in this case as you will have a joint sponsor is not needed.
  5. I don't live with my wife, so I'm not part of the household, so I don't need to be included in the information in my question 4, right? What question 4? In Part 5. Sponsor's household size. She will need to add you because she is sponsoring you.
  6. Can anyone provide sample forms for those in my situation that required a co-sponsor and what this co-sponsor required to send in? There are some general sample forms in here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples. You need to read the I-864's instructions carefully. You get a lot of information in there.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi. I will have my interview next week and here my answers to the mentioned questions. I hope it helps.

1. Does my wife need to send in more than 2014 tax return? She can send more but in the form's instructions say it is optional just to have more supporting documentation.
  2. Does she need to get an IRS transcript or is that only needed if she doesn't have her 2014 tax info? The same here. IRS transcripts are supporting documentation.
  3. Does my mother-in-law need to file a I-864 or a I-864A or both of them? She will be a joint sponsor, so she needs to file I-864. If she and her husband file taxes together. It's a good idea to have him to file the I-864A to prove that he knows about her being an immigrant sponsor.
  4. In Part 6 of my wife's I-864 form, under "Income you are using from any other person who was counted in your household size, including, in certain conditions, the intending immigrant." does she add my mother-in-law and her income? Until I know, no. The principal sponsor file her I-864 with her info. The joint sponsor I-864 with her own info. That section as the instructions say is when the sponsor needs income to complete the I-864P poverty guide amount. But in this case as you will have a joint sponsor is not needed.
  5. I don't live with my wife, so I'm not part of the household, so I don't need to be included in the information in my question 4, right? What question 4? In Part 5. Sponsor's household size. She will need to add you because she is sponsoring you.
  6. Can anyone provide sample forms for those in my situation that required a co-sponsor and what this co-sponsor required to send in? There are some general sample forms in here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples. You need to read the I-864's instructions carefully. You get a lot of information in there.

For your response on #3, really? My father-in-law needs to send in his info too? Is this required or recommended?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I have read stories of people being asked the I-864A in some consulates. I will look for the links here in visajourney.

I know it's recommended. But as the instructions do not mention it, it's no required. In the cases they asked for it, it was just to make sure the sponsor's spouse is aware of the I-864 commitment. As you are doing AOS, I am not sure. I hope someone with experience in AOS can answer that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.