Jump to content


2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I would really, really appreciate your help.

My CR-1 visa is in two days (after a year of waiting and over four months separation from my husband!!) and I only just found out now that the Consulate Requirements recently changed and they now want a "Change of Name" document from the Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Has anybody actually needed this? I did change my name because I got married, and it's confusing because the PDF says "if required", but doesn't say for which visa types it is required..

Is my marriage certificate enough to prove my name change, or do I actually need to go and get one of these tomorrow?


I can't wait for this nightmare to be over!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you get married in Australia or overseas?

If you got married overseas, then yes you need to get a name change certificate from the Births Deaths and Marriages of your home state.

If you got married in Australia, then your Australian marriage certificate should be enough.

Moving to the Australia/NZ forum as this is a country-specific question

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.