pri

British NRI's Tricking Indian women in marriage

5 posts in this topic

This happens a lot in most part of India & Asia i really feel sorry for these women & their families

Problems mount for abandoned Indian women

Vijay Dutt

London, March 11, 2006

The British have suddenly realised the extent of duplicity of British Indian men here in tricking young women in India into marrying them and then deserting them after coolly collecting dowry.

According to one estimate lives of 5,000 women in Punjab have been ruined by such fraudulent marriages.

But here not many realised the despicable behaviour of men in the community, some time actively abetted by their families. Now an investigation by the Times has brought the matter to the notice of the authorities.

According to it over a 1,000 women have claimed "dreams of life led to heartbreak". It accused British men of lusting after dowries.

A few Asian-origin MPs and community leaders now assure that they plan to urgently focus on the "evil" and not only try help redress the wronged women but also see that the offenders are suitably punished.

If need be the Foreign Office will be approached along with the Home Office to devise ways to prevent unscrupulous men here from such "shameful" exploitation of gullible families in Indian rural areas in particular.

Most women have been abandoned after marriage based on falsehood and demand and collection of dowry. All promise "milk and honey" existence here.

One woman from Punjab had also approached HT here. She alleged that her husband took her back from London to Delhi on the pretext of visiting relatives and attending a wedding. But one day he disappeared, taking her passport as well.

After great difficulty with the help of her family and the British High Commission in New Delhi, she managed to come to London.

Once here she was threatened by her husband's brother who said she would be eliminated unless she withdrew action against her husband who by then had secured an ex-parte divorce and married again.

But the lady did not cower down and was helped by some people in a gurudwara where she was living. Ultimately she got compensated. But such cases are an absolute rarity.

The Times has cited several cases including one of a Rakesh Gupta from Coventry who married in 2002 one young woman, Poorva Sharma, from a village in Punjab. Her father allegedly paid over £ 5,500 in dowry. The reality came to be known when the British High Commission refused entry permit to Sharma saying Gupta had already married another Indian woman.

The problem, a solicitor told HT was that there was no way to get the offending men back for trial in Indian courts. The extradition treaty does not cover such matrimonial crimes. The other reason is that the English courts have no jurisdiction to try complaints from victims in India nor the law is clear about the legal rights of abandoned women on the assets in Britain of men who have abandoned them.

The abandoned women cannot come to Britain so as to move courts here. Their deceitful former husbands are declared proclaimed offenders back in India but as they never return, there is no way to catch them.

PARENTS JOURNEY

Dec 10 - sent I130 for Mom & Dad

Jan- Recd NOA1

Feb- Recd RFE for missing BC

Mar- Recd RFE for missing BC

Apr- NOA2 Case approved

May- NVC case #

May- paid $88 AOS FEE

Utterly sickening and quite in keeping with the way most Asian men view themselves... demi-gods whom any woman must consider themselves fortunate to be married to!!! I sure hope that the women get justice and these sons of bitches are jailed/castrated for their actions. :angry:

Paul and I met on the Bazaar on the 14th January (he joined my progressive rock forum that day)

July 3rd he flew to England to meet me

We fell in love while he drove all over the place coz I cannot read maps (we were supposed to go to Ingleton - but touched Darlington 4 times, Pierce Bridge 6 times, Scotch Corner twice and Bernard Castle twice and we never did make it to Ingleton)

It has been so long and so much has happened in between...

Arrived in Houston on October 29th 2006

Married 17th November 2006

Lost my father 8th January 2007 (all dates are a blur after this)

Conditional Green Card dated 24th October 2007

I-751 posted on 6th August 2009

Received on 7th August 2009 in VT

Melo's Prog Bazaar

CTTE

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Very sad situations indeed. Such decit and lies just for money. And to do it over and over again... Kudos to the woman who fought her way back and had her Gurudwara help her.

I wouldn't agree that this keeps in theory that all Asian men are like this and expect to be treated like Gods for marrying a woman. This is just one story of a gang of jerks who are taking advantage of culture and woman. But not all Asian or Indian men are like this.

Sadly, I suppose that the same monkey business exists in the US as well, it's may just not be a well-known story yet... And I'm sure that the opposite occurs as well, of men paying a dowry for marrying women who suddenly disappear shortly after their landing in JFK? :hehe:

Sometimes I think I know everything, and I regain consciousness. Seen it all, done it all, forgot most of it....

So much plenitude, yet so much emptiness

everest-summit.jpg

The Journey, Part I: I-129F (K-3)

I 129F sent to Chicago 11/14/05

NOA1 12/14/05, received by snail mail 12/23/05

NOA2 01/17/06, received by snail mail 01/20/05

Received Packet "3" 02/17/06

Medicals done in Nairobi 03/22/06

VISA APPROVED in Nairobi 03/30/06

Husband arrives ni USA!

The Journey, Part II: EAD and AOS

EAD mailed to Chicago 05/17/06

horserun.gif

Very sad situations indeed. Such decit and lies just for money. And to do it over and over again... Kudos to the woman who fought her way back and had her Gurudwara help her.

I wouldn't agree that this keeps in theory that all Asian men are like this and expect to be treated like Gods for marrying a woman. This is just one story of a gang of jerks who are taking advantage of culture and woman. But not all Asian or Indian men are like this.

I agree not all are - but the ones who are not are few and far between...

Paul and I met on the Bazaar on the 14th January (he joined my progressive rock forum that day)

July 3rd he flew to England to meet me

We fell in love while he drove all over the place coz I cannot read maps (we were supposed to go to Ingleton - but touched Darlington 4 times, Pierce Bridge 6 times, Scotch Corner twice and Bernard Castle twice and we never did make it to Ingleton)

It has been so long and so much has happened in between...

Arrived in Houston on October 29th 2006

Married 17th November 2006

Lost my father 8th January 2007 (all dates are a blur after this)

Conditional Green Card dated 24th October 2007

I-751 posted on 6th August 2009

Received on 7th August 2009 in VT

Melo's Prog Bazaar

CTTE