Smelserjl

Changing Name After Marriage

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

HI everyone,

So now that my husband is finally joining me in the US (and I get the marriage certificate back!), I was going to change my last name. I don't really have time to take off work and go to the Social Security Office so I know we can mail the docs in. If we mail in the documents they ask for (including marriage certificate), do they send it back? I only have one copy from Egypt that's translated and certified by the US Embassy and they want an original to view.

Any experience with this?

Edited by Smelserjl

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Off Topic to SSN Forum~

~Inquiry about name change and SSN~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

~Moved from Off Topic to SSN Forum~

~Inquiry about name change and SSN~

Thanks! I didnt even realize there was an SSN Forum!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I don't know the answer to your question, but if I were you, I would take the time off of work to take care of it in person in case you run into a problem. I'm not sure how strict they will be at your SS Office, but mine would not accept our translation, even with the seal from the US Embassy. Alhamdulillah, there was someone fluent in Arabic working that day and he was able to verify the translation against the original.

USCIS

10/11/2014 – Mailed I-130 packet to the Chicago Lockbox
10/14/2014 – I-130 packet signed for
10/15/2014 – Priority date assigned
10/19/2014 – Acceptance confirmation email received
10/20/2014 – Check cashed
10/24/2014 – Received I-797C (NOA1)
10/27/2014 – Faxed the USCIS expedite packet to the Senator's office
10/29/2014 – Expedite request sent to USCIS from the Senator's office on my behalf
11/05/2014 – USCIS approved I-130 petition
11/07/2014 – USCIS sent case to the NVC for processing
11/08/2014 – Received I-797, Approval!!! (NOA2)

NVC

11/11/2014 - Emailed the NVC Expedite Packet to the Senator's office
11/12/2014 - Expedite request sent to NVC from the Senator's office on my behalf
11/12/2014 - NVC received case from USCIS
11/28/2014 - Received confirmation email from NVC, expedite request was received and is being processed
12/09/2014 - NVC Case number assigned
12/10/2014 - NVC Welcome letter email
12/10/2014 - Submitted form DS-261
12/11/2014 - AOS fee invoiced
12/12/2014 - AOS fee submitted
12/15/2014 - AOS fee shows paid
12/16/2014 - Sent AOS and IV packets
12/17/2014 - AOS and IV packets received by NVC
12/17/2014 - Embassy denied expedite without a reason, informed over the phone by Hazel from NVC

12/19/2014 - Received email from NVC confirming AOS and IV packets received, scan date 12/17
12/19/2014 - IV fee invoiced

12/19/2014 - IV fee submitted
12/23/2014 - IV fee shows paid

12/26/2014 - Submitted DS-260
02/17/2015 - Case complete!!! :)
05/04/2015 - Interview date received by phone, scheduled for 06/10/2015

05/08/2015 - Received P4 email

US Embassy Cairo

05/12/2015 - Embassy received case from NVC

06/10/2015 - Interview approved!!! :)

07/20/2015 - Visa received

Timeline

I don't know the answer to your question, but if I were you, I would take the time off of work to take care of it in person in case you run into a problem. I'm not sure how strict they will be at your SS Office, but mine would not accept our translation, even with the seal from the US Embassy. Alhamdulillah, there was someone fluent in Arabic working that day and he was able to verify the translation against the original.

Oh jeeze, it's always something isnt it!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.