danyhart

I-400 in Atlanta, GA

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Good morning,

did anybody filed I-400 in Atlanta, GA recently? I filed in September 2014. Did my interview on 4/27/15 and passed on 5/23/15. How long dill it be before I know when my ceremony will take place? My GC is expired since January and for the past month I've been without drivers license. There's anything I can do to obtain a DL while I wait? I was told to get an extension on my I-551 stamp, and I do have an appointment next week. I really need my DL to be able to keep my job. TIA. (I've been a resident since 2001).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Good morning,

did anybody filed I-400 in Atlanta, GA recently? I filed in September 2014. Did my interview on 4/27/15 and passed on 5/23/15. How long dill it be before I know when my ceremony will take place? My GC is expired since January and for the past month I've been without drivers license. There's anything I can do to obtain a DL while I wait? I was told to get an extension on my I-551 stamp, and I do have an appointment next week. I really need my DL to be able to keep my job. TIA. (I've been a resident since 2001).

Atlanta is really really slow, but that's all I can tell you. Sorry. Hope you get your oath letters soon.

You should be able to get a DL with an I-551 but it'll only be valid for 1 year. I saw on your other post that your passport has expired. If USCIS refuse to issue an I-551 on an expired passport (I don't know their policy) then you'll have to get a new Italian passport first.

Since you were approved on 5/23 there's not much you can do to speed up the process until the end of September. I hope you're done by then but there are no guarantees. Good luck with the Infopass. One tip: if the DPS/DMV or whatever it's called in Georgia doesn't accept the I-551 try a different office or go on a different day. They are not consistent.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Atlanta is really really slow, but that's all I can tell you. Sorry. Hope you get your oath letters soon.

You should be able to get a DL with an I-551 but it'll only be valid for 1 year. I saw on your other post that your passport has expired. If USCIS refuse to issue an I-551 on an expired passport (I don't know their policy) then you'll have to get a new Italian passport first.

Since you were approved on 5/23 there's not much you can do to speed up the process until the end of September. I hope you're done by then but there are no guarantees. Good luck with the Infopass. One tip: if the DPS/DMV or whatever it's called in Georgia doesn't accept the I-551 try a different office or go on a different day. They are not consistent.

Thank you Jimmy. Yes, I've been having the hardest time with DDS (DMV lol). I have spoken directly with the commissioner's assistant. She was the one who told me to get an extension for my I-551. The people I spoke before them they told me they wouldn't accept anything but the Citizenship. They are not consistent at all!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thank you Jimmy. Yes, I've been having the hardest time with DDS (DMV lol). I have spoken directly with the commissioner's assistant. She was the one who told me to get an extension for my I-551. The people I spoke before them they told me they wouldn't accept anything but the Citizenship. They are not consistent at all!

You might as well apply to renew your Italian passport just in case. You may get it before your US passport and you can use that for an I551. Or perhaps they'll give you a temporary ID as someone mentioned on another thread... I think that person said to take passport photos with you because they offered to creat a temporary ID... and to take proof that you've applied for citizenship.

I recently flew through London and I was stuck in a really long line along with the Americans, Canadians, and most of the world while anyone with an EU passport breezed through. :-)

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.