Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Name change during Naturalization

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi VJer's

I am eligible for naturalization this July and i would like to change my first name to a name i'm very known by.Even though i have never used this name in any documentation, its a name i've been called by friends and family since i was a kid.

I want to know if it will be possible for me to change my first name to the name i've been known by friends and family,

I know i would have to change the names on my drivers license,bank account and credit card.Do i have to change the names on my high school diploma ,other educational certificates and degrees, and marriage certificate to the new name?

I have two kids,and we all have the same last name. do i have to change their birth certificate and other documents that has my old first name to the new name?

what documents do i have to change from the old name to the new name?

what documents can i still use with the old name or do i have to change the names on all documents that bear's my old name to the new name.? thank you VJers.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Read this: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/549894-information-on-name-change-during-naturalization/it answers many of your questions.

2) You'll have to change your name on almost everything like banks, credit cards, etc.

3) For diplomas and old identifying documents, you will just use your old document as well as your name change certificate. You'll have to use both.

4) Your kids' names will not change through your N400 process. You'll have to go to court to change their names.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.