Can49

Moving from NY to NJ - don't update address?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi folks. I live in NYC and work in Manhattan, which is my field office. I'm moving to NJ right across the river and Newark would be the new office.

Does updating my address bump my file to Nj?

I was thinking of just keeping my address on file as NYC and with USPS mail forwarding I'll get any documents they mail me.

The reason is that it's easier to make it to an interview during business hours if it's in Manhattan because for Newark I'd need to take at least half a day off.

Thanks for any feedback guys

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

USPS isn't supposed to forward government/immigration mail, BUT that isn't to say it doesn't happen. The problem is you just don't know. You may get some, while other stuff might get returned to USCIS...or worse, just get lost in USPS limbo.

Edited by templeton

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I put in a change of address/forwarding with USPS to take effect at the end of the month. Well, USPS started forwarding my mail there immediately - including my green card. The card went back to USCIS. Don't think your plan will work.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

@templeton

Did your GC get sent back because the recipient at your soon-to-be-new address didn't recognize it and punted it back or did it arrive in an envelope with do not forward (or whatever else service USPS provides to senders at request).

We have access to the new house/mail already so receiving there is fine.

My main concern is that I don't want USCIS to move my file/interview (when It's time to schedule it) to Newark. It will require me taking an unpaid day off vs going to Manhattan location.

Timeline

Reading online I saw confirmations from folks that USPS won't forward USCIS mail.

So, maybe I would be better just holding my mail for the next couple of months until the interview notice is received?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.