bsv

NVC Case Complete to Interview date - US Embassy in Mumbai, India

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have two questions. First where do I start my new question or topic? I can't find the link for new questions/topics? My question is this. I am an RN in Texas and I married my Philippina RN nurse in the Philippines in May 2014. After the marriage she returned to her job in Saudi Arabia as a RN. She's worked in Saudi since 2012 and we spend one month together in May 2014. For the 2014 tax year I filed head of household cause I was not sure on what do do. In retrospect I should have done Married Filed Seperately to avoid this potential problem. I have filed Head of Household since my divorce in 2009 due to my daughter living as a dependent. I read on a Visa Journey link that it might look bad if my taxes say Head of Household. It might be a red flag to the interviewer with my wife? Is that correct? According to IRS rules I am legal since my wife lives abroad and my daughter is a dependent. But with immigration law should I immediately amend my taxes to Married Filed Jointly. At the moment our case is with the National Visa Center and my wife will have an interview sometime this year in Saudi Arabia at the U.S. Embassy.

Thanks Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I amd having same kind of issue with my tax papers. I was being told to file as a "single" as my husband does not live in USA. May b i need to go HR block and ask them under what law I can file as a single and if they can provide me any letter.

Thanks

Hi Daniel,

I amd having same kind of issue with my tax papers. I was being told to file as a "single" as my husband does not live in USA. May b i need to go HR block and ask them under what law I can file as a single and if they can provide me any letter.

Thanks

if you are married, then you must file as married filing joint or married filing separate. YOU CANNOT FILE AS SINGLE AS YOU ARE NOT SINGLE IMHO

married filing joint generally gives you the best tax break assuming your spouse makes significantly less than you

more importantly you save $$$ on taxes even after paying turbotax or a CPA to prepare the return and paying $50 for the notary fee.

compare the savings here

http://www.irs.com/articles/2014-federal-tax-rates-personal-exemptions-and-standard-deductions

I did it this year. applied for an ITIN for my wife while submitting 2014 return. ITIN takes 8 weeks

procedure:

1. get your spouse passport notarized at US embassy (not anywhere else, sorry cost is $50), you can get the original passport here and then notarized or follow any other ID allowed, see link below

2. write letter to IRS for ITIN number. attach passport copy notarized or acceptable proof from w-7 form

3. declaration to file jointly a letter written by you and wife signed by both to IRS saying you want to file jointly

4. attach tax return showing married filing joint. include all her earned income as income and take the credit. this nullifies any tax on it, but you still get the married filing joint deduction and exemption

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2136483-filing-jointly-when-spouse-doesn-t-have-ssn-or-itin

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.