Josh&Loan

Medical and Vaccines

12 posts in this topic

She hasn't got her packet 3 yet but I was wondering how much will the medical and vaccines cost? Also how far ahead of the interview does she need to have the medical and vaccines done?

Oh BTW our interview is July 23rd if that helps anything..

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

The expiration date of the visa is dependent on the date the doctor signed off on the medical exam. So if she goes to medical and there are no issues and the doctor signs off the same day, then when the visa is issued it will expired 6 months from the day the doctor signed the paperwork. That is why most people have their medical exams shortly before their interview.

Here is the information regarding the cases for my in-laws (wife, their daughter, is the petitioner under the IR-5 category, Parents of a USC):

Submit I-130 (2 petitions) to USCIS on May 30, 2013

USCIS approved the cases on March 10, 2014.

Received notice online from USCIS the cases were sent to NVC on March 17, 2014.

NVC received the cases on March 28, 2014

The case numbers were created on Monday, April 28.

We received the numbers by phone on Friday, May 2.

DS-261 became available on both cases late in the evening on Friday, May 2. Both DS-261 filed on Saturday, May 3.

Received emails to my wife regarding AOS at around 8am on Wednesday, May 7. At the same time received emails that were cc of letters sent to my in-laws. However, the date of all of the letters was Monday, May 5.

Received emails regarding the Immigrant Visa Fee at around 11:15am on Wednesday, May 7. IV fees became available online at around 1pm on Wednesday, May 7. Date of invoice was Tuesday, May 8.

Paid all the fees on Wednesday, May 7 at around 1:15pm.

All fees marked as paid and DS-260 become available sometime late on Friday, May 9.

Dropped off IV and AOS packages (in two different envelopes - 1 for AOS and 1 for IV documents) at the local post office at around 2pm on Saturday, May 10.

Submitted DS-260 (for both cases) around 10am on Sunday, May 11.

Both document packages received by NVC on Monday, May 12 (according to Post Office Tracking - one around 1pm and the other around 4pm. Don't know why they got separated.)

Received checklist email for both cases at 4pm on Thursday, June 12 regarding the IV civil documents

Wife called NVC in the afternoon of Friday, June 13 to inquire about the checklist. Told by a representative they are normal and automatic and not to worry. AOS under review. Call back after Tuesday, June 24.
Received a checklist for my father-in-law on Monday, June 16. NVC reviewed his AOS paperwork, but waiting for the documents the requested the week before.

Wife called NVC in the morning of Tuesday, June 17. Told by the agent they don't have the document requested for dad, and they don't have the AOS package for her mom.

Put in a request with our Senator to get more information. Response was mother-in-law is documentary complete and father-in-law was in document review for the military document.

Wife called NVC on the morning of Tuesday, July 1 and spoke with a supervisor regarding her dad's military document. Supervisor said she would look into it.

Supervisor called us and left a voicemail on the morning of Wednesday, July 9 and stated they have located my father-in-law's military documents. Case sent back to document review.

Per conversation with an agent, the expedited request originally requested by email on July 7, was sent to the Embassy on Thursday, July 10.

Received by postal mail on Thursday, August 21 from our Senator regarding the response of another inquiry. Still the same.

Early in the morning on Friday, August 22:

Wife calls the Embassy and was told the IV section doesn't accept calls, and was given a number in the states that turned out to be scheduling assistance for NIV interviews.

Called NVC as soon as they opened and was told the Embassy denied the expedite request, but the case was completed by NVC on Monday, August 18. Wife inquired about interview scheduling, and was given some good information.

At 5 PM on Thursday, September 11, received the interview letters. Interview is scheduled for the morning of October 9.

Mother-in-law approved. Father-in-law placed in Administrative Processing due to follow-up TB test.

CEAC stated ISSUED for my mother-in-law on October 15. DHL had the package for pick up on October 17 but called the wrong number. Package picked up on October 27.

On December 11 mother-in-law received a phone call from the Embassy that the medical is back for my father-in-law and to DHL his passport to them. Passport sent on December 12.

On December 18 CEAC updated to ISSUED for my father-in-law. My wife is happy!!!! Embassy said they gave it to DHL on December 19

Due to a DHL delay the package did not become available for pick up until December 24. USCIS Immigrant Fee paid the same day.

POE: JFK Terminal 1 - December 26, 2014 - They are finally here!!!

Took them to a local SSA office to get SSN on January 6, 2015. Cards received on January 10, 2015.

Green Cards received by priority mail on January 23, 2015 (four weeks after arrival).

Both went to motor vehicles and got state issued ID cards on April 11, 2015.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

The medical exam in Jamaica was $150.00.My fiance had to get 2 immunizations. One was $25.00 & one was $35.00. They said the medical exam should be at least 10 days before the interview.hope this info helps you

She hasn't got her packet 3 yet but I was wondering how much will the medical and vaccines cost? Also how far ahead of the interview does she need to have the medical and vaccines done?

The medical exam for K1 visa costs $155 per person age 15 or older. Depending upon whether she had any prior vaccination(s), but at the minimum, they would want her to have the Flu shot, MMR, and Varicella. Any missing vaccination(s) can be given in the States when you do the AOS. I would say for vaccination, USD $100 would be enough.

More info below:

http://hochiminh.usconsulate.gov/iv/medical-examination/vaccination.html

Medical exam results take 2 days. Vaccination can be completed in a couple of hours.

How long has the paperwork been at the consulate? When did your NVC status change to READY status?

If it has been more than 2-3 weeks since the consulate received your actual K1 package (they get the electronic version first, then the physical package comes a week or two later), I would fill out the online inquiry on their website and ask to have the Packet 3 letter sent to your email. Then you can print it out for vaccination and med exam.

You guys are lucky paying so little for your medical exams - we get fleeced in the UK. £250 just for the medical exam and the vacs can add up to another £100 so around US$385 just for the medical or US$500 for everything. Crazy!

It says the ready date is 5-26.. So when will they mail the packet?

I would give them until June 16. If you do not receive it by then, fill out an online inquiry and ask them to email you a copy of the Packet 3.

OK she got her packet 3 today and scheduled her medical at IOM for July 20th. Next question.. Will they issue the visa at the embassy or do we really have to wait for them to mail it to her house? I will only be able to stay there for 2 weeks and we want to leave Vietnam together!

OK she got her packet 3 today and scheduled her medical at IOM for July 20th. Next question.. Will they issue the visa at the embassy or do we really have to wait for them to mail it to her house? I will only be able to stay there for 2 weeks and we want to leave Vietnam together!

She said she read somewhere that we can pay to have it issued the next day.. I have not read that

They stopped letting people pick up visas for a long time now. The only way to get the Visa is via mail and it is delivered by EMS to your registered address that you filled out on ustraveldocs.com website.

My wife's visa was issued 3 days after her interview but since she lived in the Central VN, it took another 4 days to get it. If your fiancee lives in Saigon or its vicinity, she should have it the next day after they issue the visa. So you should be OK.

I took a chance and bought an one-way ticket for my wife not knowing whether she would pass the interview. It turned out that it was one of the best decisions I have ever made, saving ourselves over $1,200. If I were to buy the ticket 3 weeks after her interview, it would have cost us $2,400 for an one-way ticket. But I bought it 2 months before her interview so we ended up paying only $1,200 for her ticket. It is not highly recommended but sometimes you gotta pay to play, right? :)

Edited by frontgear

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.