moamzia

Documents needed by US Embassy in Kuala Lumpur

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi guys (and Susie :))

In the PDF which contains additional instructions for each country (can be downloaded from: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/diversity-visa/if-you-are-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html).

For Malaysia, it has a section saying

"All Applicants:

• Certificate of Good Conduct
  • Please provide latest U.S. income tax returns and W2 from your sponsor/s.
  • Expired passports – if available and applicable.
  • Original divorce and/or death certificate – petitioner/applicant, if applicable."

My question is for the second bullet point. I did a quick search on W2 form and it seems to be only for US residents who can apply for this form. My sponsor is Iranian who lives outside US. I was wondering does this apply to my case?

If yes, what's the process to obtain this form?

Hi guys (and Susie :))

In the PDF which contains additional instructions for each country (can be downloaded from: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/diversity-visa/if-you-are-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html).

For Malaysia, it has a section saying

"All Applicants:

• Certificate of Good Conduct
  • Please provide latest U.S. income tax returns and W2 from your sponsor/s.
  • Expired passports – if available and applicable.
  • Original divorce and/or death certificate – petitioner/applicant, if applicable."

My question is for the second bullet point. I did a quick search on W2 form and it seems to be only for US residents who can apply for this form. My sponsor is Iranian who lives outside US. I was wondering does this apply to my case?

If yes, what's the process to obtain this form?

OK, so that is a general immigration visa checklist. Most other IV categories have sponsors but DV does not (you are self-sponsored) so you can ignore that, which is intended to accompany the affidavit of support for the sponsor. However.... I am a little confused when you say you have an Iranian sponsor who lives outside the US? DV applicants can have affidavits of support if they want to show extra proof that they won't become public charges, but they are only acceptable if filled out by residents of the US.

Edited by SusieQQQ

OK, so that is a general immigration visa checklist. Most other IV categories have sponsors but DV does not (you are self-sponsored) so you can ignore that, which is intended to accompany the affidavit of support for the sponsor. However.... I am a little confused when you say you have an Iranian sponsor who lives outside the US? DV applicants can have affidavits of support if they want to show extra proof that they won't become public charges, but they are only acceptable if filled out by residents of the US.

I see.

Ok, I know that I have to prove that I can work for at least 3 months without a source of income in US. Currently, I'm a software engineer in a European bank. But however, it isn't long since I started my work (it'd be a year by the time of interview). Thus, I don't have that much of savings yet which I suppose it'd be around at least 15K USD?

However, my parents are willing to sponsor me. But they live with me in Kuala Lumpur.

For my case, how can I pass this proof that i won't become a public charge?

I have a friend who was F1 student visa applicant, he told me on his first interview, he put his parents money in his account and provided his own bank statement. But the officer did not accept it as he said we don't know how you earned this money and we need proof. So his father sent him his bank statements from Iran and it was then accepted by the embassy. So I assumed it'd be the same for DV. Could you please advice me on how I can solve this issue for my case? Does this mean:

• I should have enough money in my own bank account and earned only by myself with proof
  • I can have only sponsors living in US

It's tricky because there is no global standard on this for DV and even the same embassy applies different standards sometimes depending on the applicant. However, bear in mind your friend on F1 would (with very limited exceptions) not be allowed to work in the U.S. whereas obviously you can, so in that sense I would definitely expect them to be stricter with him. I would think, as a software engineer at a bank you will probably have little trouble convincing a CO that you will be able to support yourself through work in the U.S...

I see. I realized that there's no global standard between embassies from not finding anything on Google.

Anyhow, i emailed the embassy asking if they have any specific requirements regarding that. I'll update it here once I got a reply. :)

And about your last statement, may i ask why I'd have trouble convincing the OC? Is it that IT is a sensitive field?

I see. I realized that there's no global standard between embassies from not finding anything on Google.

Anyhow, i emailed the embassy asking if they have any specific requirements regarding that. I'll update it here once I got a reply. :)

And about your last statement, may i ask why I'd have trouble convincing the OC? Is it that IT is a sensitive field?

Read again - I said you'd have little trouble (in other words I don't think it's a problem at all)

(Edit sorry on second thought maybe using that phrase is not easy to distinguish from "a little trouble" for a second language speaker though it means different)

Edited by SusieQQQ

• 2 weeks later...

Read again - I said you'd have little trouble (in other words I don't think it's a problem at all)

(Edit sorry on second thought maybe using that phrase is not easy to distinguish from "a little trouble" for a second language speaker though it means different)

Hi Susie

Yes I was confused by the phrase a bit :D

Anyways, sorry for the late reply. But I just remembered I promised to tell you the reply from embassy.

I got reply from the embassy few days after I emailed them. They simply just said there's no specific requirements on proof of funds, thus they just told me to bring along any proof I have.

I think I'll just borrow the fund from my brother (who can provide actual bank statements on how he earned the money - because I've heard they're sensitive on Iranians on where the money comes from because of all the sanctions we have) and get a letter from him signed by himself stating he is willing to borrow the money to me until I find a job in US and hope for the best that it will be enough :).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.