acoleman1992

Not Allowed a Cosponsor for the K-1?! Advice Please!

6 posts in this topic

Hi Al!

I'm in need of some advice from my fellow K-1 filers. My fiance and I are currently in the Packet 3 stage of the K-1 visa. We have everything except for the Police Certificate due to a delay on their part. In speaking with a friend in the K-1 forum who just had her interview in Trinidad I was informed that the US Embassy in Trinidad does not accept a joint sponsor for the K-1 visa. This is not stated on the Trinidad and Tobago US embassy's website and I've never heard of issues before.

I was able to contact a supervisor at the NVC who has directed me to send an email to the NVC to request an expedited check on this. Does anyone have any advice on this? Is there anyone in the forum who's embassy has said they do not accept a joint sponsor for K-1 visa and still been able to go through with a joint sponsor?

I am currently a full-time graduate student and I don't make nearly enough to support him according to the poverty guidelines so we need and have a joint sponsor that is more than willing. We were involved in the long TSC delay and being so close to finishing this process I have been on cloud 9. The news that the embassy does not accept a joint sponsor immediately brought me back to earth. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I know of no Consulate that has a blanket joint sponsor dis allowance.

I would concentrate on showing your future job earning potential as a Graduate

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I know of no Consulate that has a blanket joint sponsor dis allowance.

I would concentrate on showing your future job earning potential as a Graduate

I hadn't heard of it either until my friend went to her interview and they told her. I emailed the Embassy to confirm and they responded that they do not allow for a joint sponsor for a K-1 visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You never know for certain that you are being given the full story, if that is the case you need a job or go the marriage route. When do you Graduate?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 2 months later...

I noticed your interview date was the 27th. What was the outcome? Please share. I have a similar situation since I too am a student and got a co sponsor. Did anyone else get through with a joint sponsor at the Trinidad and Tobago consulate ? Or were these only in certain circumstances?

Edited by Triston71

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.