Flowerbv

Affidavit of support, Does it has to be U.S Citizen or Resident Or Both?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello All

My fiance and I are applying for the k1 visa. We are waiting for Ciudad Juarez to sent package #3.

I have a question for the sponsor person, since my fiance didn't make enough money last year, we are looking for a sponsor, does he or she need to be a U.S. Citizen or it can be a U.S Resident?

Thank you very much

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

They won't send you an actual 'package'. You will receive a letter with info, instructions and links to follow. Instructions on their website(and my signature).

The co-sponsor can be a USC or LPR. Provide proof of being a USC or LPR in case it is needed. If you use an LPR, then provide a front and back copy of their green card.

You will fill out an I-134 and provide your supporting evidence, and they will fill out their own separate I-134 and provide their supporting evidence.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

They won't send you an actual 'package'. You will receive a letter with info, instructions and links to follow. Instructions on their website(and my signature).

The co-sponsor can be a USC or LPR. Provide proof of being a USC or LPR in case it is needed. If you use an LPR, then provide a front and back copy of their green card.

You will fill out an I-134 and provide your supporting evidence, and they will fill out their own separate I-134 and provide their supporting evidence.

Thank you KayDeeCee, so that means that I, the applicant for the K1 visa, need to fill one I-134 Form. And my Sponsor another one?

I didn't know I need it to fill a form I-134 too.

Thanks

Timeline

Yes, you will both need one. The same will apply to the I-864 later when filing for AOS, if you are still in need of a joint sponsor.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Yes, you will both need one. The same will apply to the I-864 later when filing for AOS, if you are still in need of a joint sponsor.

Thank you KayDeeCee, I have one last question, I am going to fill my form I-134, but my sponsor will not be my Fiance, Is going to be one of his friends, it's mandatory that the sponsor need to be my Fiance, or It's okay if his Friend fill the Form I-134 as my sponsor?.

This because my fiance doesn't have his W2 tax form from last year, because that's when he was living in Mexico.

Timeline

Thank you KayDeeCee, I have one last question, I am going to fill my form I-134, but my sponsor will not be my Fiance, Is going to be one of his friends, it's mandatory that the sponsor need to be my Fiance, or It's okay if his Friend fill the Form I-134 as my sponsor?.

This because my fiance doesn't have his W2 tax form from last year, because that's when he was living in Mexico.

Your fiance will fill out an I-134. He is your primary sponsor. No one else fills it out for him. He can provide an IRS tax transcript and not need his W-2. They are free > http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

If his income does not meet the requirement, then he can have a co-sponsor. The co-sponsor(his friend), fills out his own separate I-134 and provides his own supporting evidence, same as your fiance will, which is most recent tax transcript, letter from employer and/or recent pay stubs. The co-sponsor should also provide proof that they are a USC or LPR.

You said your fiance did not make enough last year. What is his current annual income? Does that meet the requirement?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.