US bound

I-134 BEFORE domiciled in the US

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Could anyone tell us how best to fill out item 2 on the I-134 Affidavit of Support if you are not yet domiciled in the US? I've been looking all over for this information, and just can't find it. The PDF you can fill in only accepts dates in this space, not text, so not chance to explain with words in the allotted space.

I know that it is possible to use the form & act as sponsor, as long as you can demonstrate your intention to become domiciled in the US -- the only trouble is how to fill in the item, to indicate you are in the process of re-establishing your domicile in the US. Also, is there any particular format that is recommended for how you should show the intention to establish domicile in the US? We have collected some evidence, but should we just prepare it and put it into the packet for whenever the consulate asks for it?

(We currently all live in the UK, and likely won't return to the US until my fiancé can accompany us, as we have three children together and will need to have one parent available to care for them.)

Any info much appreciated!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Fill out the date you became a USC, whether by birth or naturalization. Hand-write next to it that you have been residing in the UK since whatever date/year.

The I-134 does not require documentation of US domicile like the I-864 does. Here is a recent post about this same topic and interviewing in London > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/546431-k-1-applicant-and-petitioner-living-in-uk-proving-domicile/?p=7594890

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Timeline

Thanks so much for that information -- I have read on various websites that the domicile is an issue, but sometimes information about the I-864 and I-134 is mixed in the same chunk of information. So perhaps that is what has happened. It makes sense that domicile wouldn't be required, given that you might be returning to the US only the wedding/honeymoon, and then returning to live abroad.

Great, also, to see the information on how the process went in London, as that is where my fiancé will need to complete his visa processing.

I will include information about the job I will be taking in the US, also, just in case the consulate has any interest in that, although it sounds like it won't be needed/looked at. When we apply with the I-864, we will be properly US domiciled.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.