whisky

I-864: Confused how to fill when sponsor has no income

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi everybody. My mom, who is an US Citizen is sponsoring me and my family (Currently on F3). She is over 80 years old who has no income. She has been on Supplemental Security Income (SSI) since 1991. Yesterday, I received an email from NVC that they completed review of my case. However, there is a thing in my I-864 form was incompleted and I need to fix it before the interview. Quote from NVC checklist:

We have finished reviewing your case. We will tell you when we set an interview date for your case.

We saw that either your Affidavit of Support was incomplete, some of your supporting documents were missing, or both. We have marked the missing items on the checklist below.

In Part 6. Sponsor's Income and Employment, please correct the following...

[x] Items 13.a.1. The income you enter must match the total (gross) income reported on your most recent Federal income tax return. If you filed Form 1040EZ, use the adjusted gross income instead.

Here is my sponsor's I-864 form. The mistake is marked in red square:

i864.png

Part 6:

- section 5: I put $8917.20. That is my mom's annual income from SSI.

- section 13: Unchecked it. Am I right?

- section 13.a.1: I put "No File" because she didn't fill any Federal tax return. Instead, we attached a letter explaining that she is unemployed.

I am confused about Part 6, section 13. Do I need to leave them all blank or correct it?

Please give me some advice. Thanks in advance for any help you are able to provide.

Edited by whisky

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You will need to include a shot statement as to why she was not required to file taxes; it is not unheard of, but uncommon for US citizens not to have to file, so NVC expects either the tax filings or a statement as to why they are not needed. As it is past the April 15th taxfiling deadline now, you also need to include that for 2014.

I assume you have a co-sponsor for the financials?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Thank you for taking your time Penguin_ie.

Yes, she did write a letter explaining that she did not file Federal income tax due to the fact that she has been on Supplemental Security Income. She also attached her recent banking statement showing her monthly SSI deposit to her banking account. I think no matter year 2013 or 2014 because she has no tax filling. What concerns me is leave Part 6 section 13 blank or correct with $0.

We absolutely have join-sponsor.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.