Janelle2002

Confederate Flag Prom Photo With Gun-Toting High Schoolers Backfires

421 posts in this topic

You're joking right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotypes_of_African_Americans#Welfare_queen

Studies show that the public dramatically overestimates the number of African Americans in poverty, with the cause of this attributed to media trends and its portrayal of poverty

So from your link, I gathered that there are approximately twice as many blacks (by percentage) living in poverty as whites, and that single-parent homes account for almost 4 times that percentage living in poverty.

Doesn't say anything about how anyone assumes "all blacks use food stamps", as was alluded to above.

5.4% of all white individuals, 9.7% of black individuals, and 14.9% of all Hispanic individuals lived in poverty.

These numbers increased for single-parent homes, 22.5% of all white single-parent individuals,44.0% of all single-parent black individuals, and 33.4% of all single-parent Hispanic individuals living in poverty.

Do you really believe this #######, or do you just post it to get LIB up in arms?

There are many nice cars on my street, owned by several families of the darkest brown possible, most of them more than I can afford. (But they MAY be Obama cars, I didn't ask)

And suit and tie to go to the store? :rolleyes::no: (If I were a poster with no typing skills, I would insert a facepalm jpeg here.)

1. Did you see my Chris Rock reference? About him having to trade his car in so he wouldn't get profiled? Or did you over look it? http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/january_february_2014/ten_miles_square/driving_while_black048283.php?page=all

Another man, Joe, told of being pulled over in Kansas City by an officer who drew his gun, handcuffed him, searched his car, checked his license, then let him go with “no ticket, no nothing.” Asked why he thought the officer had stopped him, Joe said, “I don’t know why, beside driving a nice vehicle, a nice car in the wrong neighborhood.” Joe, too, experienced much the same thing a second time, when an officer pulled him over and checked his license for outstanding warrants (he had none). “I felt violated,” Joe says of that episode.

We know that driving while black isn't a real thing, now is it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_While_Black

As for the suit and tie? Do I need to go there?

http://www.takepart.com/video/2014/03/17/psst-black-teens-shouldnt-have-to-make-a-video-to-prove-theyre-not-thugs

The video, whose title is a combination of Justin Timberlake'####### song "Suit and Tie" and their area code, shows the young men decked out in dress slacks, dress shirts, regular ties, and fancy bow ties. And they do look great. After all, unless it's a special occasion, you don't typically see teenage boys of any race or ethnicity ditching jeans, T-shirts, and hoodies for formal attire.

Tiffany Gholson, a social worker at Central High School and the school's African American Club adviser, worked with the teens on the video. Gholson says it serves as an empowering counternarrative: "The negative stories told daily in the media and in our culture about our young African-American men tend to ignore their successes and don't tell the full story about how young black men are becoming leaders within our community schools."

That said, in a post–Trayvon Martin era we shouldn't encourage black males to pander to respectability politics. Wearing a suit and tie instead of a hoodie won't keep these youths from getting shot by the George Zimmermans of the world or help them be seen as smart.

As nice as it is to see these young men looking sharp, they shouldn't have to prove anything. Their clothing isn't the problem. What is, is that they had to make this video at all.

So from your link, I gathered that there are approximately twice as many blacks (by percentage) living in poverty as whites, and that single-parent homes account for almost 4 times that percentage living in poverty.

Doesn't say anything about how anyone assumes "all blacks use food stamps", as was alluded to above.

Where do you think the assumption comes from? That's what you took from the link. If I looked at the FBI crime stats and started judging white people as a whole, it would be a problem. Hey Mr. Smith, since you're more likely to be an arsonist, can I ask why you're buying those matches?

Edited by Stay Woke

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Do you really believe this #######, or do you just post it to get LIB up in arms?

There are many nice cars on my street, owned by several families of the darkest brown possible, most of them more than I can afford. (But they MAY be Obama cars, I didn't ask)

And suit and tie to go to the store? :rolleyes::no: (If I were a poster with no typing skills, I would insert a facepalm jpeg here.)

LIB is up in arms, he doesn't need motivation. It's a general state of mind.

LIB is up in arms, he doesn't need motivation. It's a general state of mind.

I can't for the life of me understand any of this. It's like folks here and IRL want so bad to talk about black people and our culture without an opinion from a black person that doesn't have the same mindset.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

There's a word for it. We both know what it is...

See, I'm trying to have more faith than that. I mean, outside of joining the KKK or the like I don't see the point of doing this. It's like they're trying to invalidate our experiences as black people, or even worse, make it seem like WE'RE the problem...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I can't for the life of me understand any of this. It's like folks here and IRL want so bad to talk about black people and our culture without an opinion from a black person that doesn't have the same mindset.

I find that rather offensive, since you have never heard me say anything bad about black people. For the record, I doubt you could find another white person who gives any more respect to folks like you for no reason at all other than because they are human; even if my words may come across harsh or wrong on here, my heart has always been in the right place. (I did accuse YOU of whining about oppression, but that was because I know the past 20+ years of your life have been anything but oppressive. That was not directed towards blacks in general, because none of the ones I know IRL ever talk like this, at least not to me. Maybe because they don't have the internet between us, in all fairness.)

But I can take a hint. I'll shut up. I have black friends IRL and we see things in a different light than you and others here. I can't change your beliefs, nor you mine. I just live in my world, and try to ignore the negativity that is outside my realm and beyond my influence. I wish you the best in your quest, peace in your life, and happiness in your new civilian job.

I find that rather offensive, since you have never heard me say anything bad about black people. For the record, I doubt you could find another white person who gives any more respect to folks like you for no reason at all other than because they are human; even if my words may come across harsh or wrong on here, my heart has always been in the right place. (I did accuse YOU of whining about oppression, but that was because I know the past 20+ years of your life have been anything but oppressive. That was not directed towards blacks in general, because none of the ones I know IRL ever talk like this, at least not to me. Maybe because they don't have the internet between us, in all fairness.)

But I can take a hint. I'll shut up. I have black friends IRL and we see things in a different light than you and others here. I can't change your beliefs, nor you mine. I just live in my world, and try to ignore the negativity that is outside my realm and beyond my influence. I wish you the best in your quest, peace in your life, and happiness in your new civilian job.

Please enlighten us on how you and your friends see things. I would like to know. Maybe I should move to your state where the experiences of black people are better.

Please enlighten us on how you and your friends see things. I would like to know. Maybe I should move to your state where the experiences of black people are better.

Some people are just not happy no matter where they are. But if you come, I'd welcome you with open arms and a cold glass of iced tea or a mojito.

Some people are just not happy no matter where they are. But if you come, I'd welcome you with open arms and a cold glass of iced tea or a mojito.

So you think Alabama is welcoming to black people? Besides you of course because you are welcoming to black people.

But dude, I'm from Tennessee. I know the South... Alabama and Mississippi are the scariest states alive for black people.

So you think Alabama is welcoming to black people? Besides you of course because you are welcoming to black people.

But dude, I'm from Tennessee. I know the South... Alabama and Mississippi are the scariest states alive for black people.

And you've lived here in Alabama how many years now? You may have me beat, as I have only spent 6 years just about as far South as you can go before you hit Florida, but thus far, none of the blacks I see almost daily seem scared of me at all. Nor of the other whiteys around us. But maybe they are just hiding their fear so as to keep me from going all postal on them. Yanno, like never looking a mad dog in the eye?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Doesn't everybody have a black friend?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

And you've lived here in Alabama how many years now? You may have me beat, as I have only spent 6 years just about as far South as you can go before you hit Florida, but thus far, none of the blacks I see almost daily seem scared of me at all. Nor of the other whiteys around us. But maybe they are just hiding their fear so as to keep me from going all postal on them. Yanno, like never looking a mad dog in the eye?

I heard you are kind of on the short side. Not like the country, hog fed boys.. :goofy:

Spent my whole life in the south up until 2009.

Doesn't everybody have a black friend?

That's the qualifier if you don't want to appear racist. :rofl::rofl::rofl::goofy:

1) I heard you are kind of on the short side. Not like the country, hog fed boys.. :goofy:

2) Spent my whole life in the south up until 2009.

3) That's the qualifier if you don't want to appear racist. :rofl::rofl::rofl::goofy:

1) Don't think your ghey clown face makes your mean words seem less hurtful.

2) You lived in Tennessee. That's pretty much north of everywhere I have lived in the US except a brief stint in Alaska, Yankee.

3) I have TWO, so I am above the law.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How many should you have then?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”