David-Hien

David - Hien's Interview Report

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Dear All,

First, I would like to thank you for your support, I have been very busy to arrange all things at my job to leave and to get the ticket to go. Now I can have a little bit time to write to all of you. Following is my Interview report:

Time to go to interview: We (David and me) came at 6:15AM. Waited until 6:30 to be in queue and entered the US Consulate at 7:30. Get the number at 7:42. I went to the interview around 10:10AM.

(They gave me interview time in the appointment letter at 8:00AM)

The interview has 2 rounds:

1. The first round: Submitting the documents as the requirement in the instruction of Packet 4.

The Vietnamese staff will receive documents in this round, they will check and ask some more questions to make a summary of our relationship such as:

- How many trips he made?

- What kind of job he does?

- How many children he has?

- The wedding / engagement ceremony date?

- ….

Then your summary of information will be sent to the second round for interview, the CO will base on that information to find out some points where they want to concentrate on.

The documents should be arranged according to the order, enough and exactly as the requirements.

I prepared carefully in this step, therefore no problem with this round. Besides, David received the Tax information of 2006 night (9) hours before he flew to VN, so I copied and added in as well. Then they saw it and they send back to me the tax information of year 2005.

David stayed with me in this round until the security guard asked him out.

2. The second round: Interview with CO (American CO and Vietnamese translator)

As I said above, the CO will check in the summary and the documents sent from US (our visa application) to ask more questions, the questions may be the same as the Vietnamese staff asked but by English:

- How many times he came to VN? Point of time of each trip, how many days he stayed in that trip?

- How did we know each other?? When is the first personal meeting?

- When did he propose, by phone or email?

- The photo of wedding / engagement ceremony.

…..

They will emphasize on what point they are curious or if it’s special to the others.

At my case, we didn’t have the engagement ceremony, as my parents are the communists, they are not so interested to have a son-in-law who is working for American government. I told them the truth and the CO was very surprised.

He asked me if I studied Marxism in University, the translator told me it’s the subject such as Mathematics. ????

I was doubt and asked him again, but I told him I did study Mathematics.

He asked if I’m the communist, I said NO. He asked again “Are you sure??”. I said “Sure”.

Then the second American CO came in the interview room, that’s the man who r swore everyone in before interview.

The first CO asked me how did I know David and wanted to read our communication before engagement. I arranged the email according to time from the earlier to later time. I gave him nearly 1 ream of paper of emails we did in the past two years (2004 and 2005).

While the first CO read the emails, the second CO continued to ask me about my parents’ background and my ex-husband, he kept asking me about studying Marxism, this time I can understand his word and confirmed. He told me this is his first time to learn the person he is interviewing has both parents in Communist party.

It seems that was ironic to him as he just asked us to swear under God at the waiting room.

He asked if I wanted to be the communist after I arrive USA?? And some other questions to make sure that I will not be a communist. Both of the COs were very interested to ask me within 20 minutes by English.

The final question, he asked “why do you want to go to USA while immediately “because I love him”.

That’s all, then the second CO came out and the first one said that “you had a good attorney”, signed the pink slip and gave to me.

I came out of US Consulate around 10:30AM - 10:40AM

Hien

Timeline

The last paragraph of my report:

---------

The final question, he asked “why do you want to go to USA while you are well educated under the communist system and society. I answered immediately “because I love him”.

That’s all, then the second CO came out and the first one said that “you had a good attorney”, signed the pink slip and gave to me.

Hien

Timeline

Hi Hien !

Thanks - very interesting report ! Thank you for sharing. Each of the interviews are quite different but each report helps me to understand the similaritiies and how my fiance may be approached. Did you use an attorney ?

Wonderful news for Tet ! Andrew :thumbs:

Many thanks for the report. It should be very helpful for those who are preparing for their interview. Good luck with your new life together and May God bless you two in every aspect of your new life.

Tony

Timeline
how did they know you had atorney??? thanks for the update

The attorney's address was on our documents from US, therefore the CO can know it. However, when the process went to VN, I have to do it by myself. I had to ask for M.E's advice for the arrangement of evidence to show to Consulate, but the COs didn't look at it too much. They only check our emails in year 2004 and 2005 (before engagement).

We knew each other online by the website only but we kept the relationship so long before we got engagement. Besides, David made 4 trips to VN, he arrived VN before interview date and came to the waiting room of Consulate in the interview with me, one of the CO saw him while we were swearing. Next is my English and education which helped me to talked and to explained to the COs what I want to say, I used to work as an Executive Secretary for the Directors in the joint-venture company therefore I felt this interview such as my job interview.

I think these three main factors helped us being successful.

Hien

Timeline

Thanks for sharing your experience and congrats!! :D

K1 Time Line

Don and Linh

October 22, 2006 - Sent I-129F

November 2, 2006 - NOA1

January 30, 2007 - NOA2

February 8, 2007 - Arrives at NVC

February 12, 2007 - Arrives at Consultate in HCMC

February 28, 2007 - Consulate sends out Packet 3

March 8, 2007 - Packet 3 recieved

May 11, 2007 - Packet 3 recieved by Consulate

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Congrats!

Well, that's probably a very unique situation. I hope you two are very happy.

2-2-07 Sent I-129F to NSC

2-6-07 NSC received USPS mail, NSC then to CSC

2-15-07 NOA1 -file received

2-16-07 check cashed

2-23-07 touched

5-4-07 NOA2 approval -email

5-13-07 sent cancellation request letter

6-7-07 we're going to retry with a K-3

8-6-07 married in Thailand (dual language, dual representation prenuptial)

8-7-07 sent K3 from Bangkok

9-10-07 I-130 NOA1, (received at CSC 8-9-07)

10-9-07 sent I-129F to CSC

11-1-07 touched I-130

requested consular processing I-130 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf)

9-13-07 I-129F for Spouse arrived CSC via USPS return rcpt. requested

4-1-08 NOA2 for K3 (I-134 supposed to be processed but processed I-129F instead)

7-11-08 interview Bangkok, passed.

7-16-08 POE arrival, 2 hours in Seattle Customs.

AOS I-486 sent 4-4-09

AOS NOA1 4-13-09 for all; I-485, I-131, I765

RFE 4-27-09 Thai official document in lieu of original Birth Certificate not sufficient???

Infopass appointment 5-26-09 at USCIS. Officer thought our doc was valid and doesn't know why the RFE.

7-28-09 EAD and AP sent

Social Security card 8-4-09

interview 9-10-09

10 year green card expires 9-17-19, Permanent Resident Card.

Resident since 9-10-09.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.