ALTN

Where to find selected dv-2016 stats

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Is there any official statistics about the total number of selected dv-2016 entrants? I'm aware of the statistics in here, but the dv-2016 statistics doesn't seem to be available yet.

Last year May 1st, a VisaJourney member stated that 125k entrants were selected (see here), just a few hours after the div-2015 entrant status check system opened. How could he know?

The visa bulletin for June has just been released today, 91k entrants have been selected for dv-2016 versus 125k for dv-2015 and 140k for dv-2014. I'm just wondering why is the number of selected entrants different every year? Is there any formula or logic behind the number of selected entrants each year?

Edited by ALTN

The visa bulletin for June has just been released today, 91k entrants have been selected for dv-2016 versus 125k for dv-2015 and 140k for dv-2014. I'm just wondering why is the number of selected entrants different every year? Is there any formula or logic behind the number of selected entrants each year?

Kind of. We don't exactly but it's some kind of algorithm based on recent years' response and success rates.

Edited by SusieQQQ

I think what has happened now is that the DV2012 fiasco has fallen out of their calculations (that was the year they had the redraw and a lot of people didn't realise they had won eventually, leading to a massive under-filling of the quota) so the # of DV2016 selectees is more 'normal'. It is actually a bit less than what it was before DV2014 in fact so I suspect there has been an improvement in response rate, which is in line with some earlier DV years (pre 2009) - more people want to follow through in times when the US is doing well vs the rest of the world, which it is right now.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Makes complete sense, thanks a lot for all the details.

Even though I'm supposing their formula should be quite accurate, the fact that dv-2016 has the lowest # of selectees since 2011 (and maybe even further) is kind of reassuring to me. I haven't been selected for dv-2016 and I'm hoping I'd have a second chance later on, which brings the question; if they eventually have a redraw for dv-2016 how would the new winners get notified, are they just supposed to keep watching visa bulletins and re-check their subscription numbers if they notice high rank cut-offs?

Another side question; I've been trying to subscribe in the visa-bulletin mailing list, I followed the instructions and received a successful subscription reply from the mailing list server but I never get notified when new bulletins are out. If I try to re-subscribe I get a reply stating that I'm already registered. Is this a common issue? Anybody having success with the bulletin mailing list server?

Edited by ALTN

Oh, I found that visa bulletin subscription list completely unpredictable. I'd probably get notified one out of three months on average, and always after I already knew it was out!

As far as I know - there will be an email to check the entrant status check page again if you are chosen in a second selection - but emails from KCC can go astray too. The couple that we know of were (1) very small so don't get your hopes up and (2) seemed to be done in October. So don't drive yourself crazy constantly checking - put a diary reminder in for the end of October, and then forget about it in the meanwhile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.