Jump to content

Should My Fiance File Separately for Me and Our Child?

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My fiance, a USC, and I are about to get married. We have a 1 year old child together and both the child and I are here in the US with valid I94s. We read the guide Step-by-Step Guide on How to File an I-130 for a Spouse Inside the US which is very helpful, however, we are not sure how if a separate petition should be done for the child.

So my questions are:

1. Is a separate petition needed for our 1 year old child?

2. What forms would not apply to a 1 year old child?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


why didn't he file for crba when the child was born? the child could already be a USC and should have traveled on a US passport

My fiance just recently got his USC via naturalization and was not a USC at the time the child was born.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are filing for you spouse and your spouse has a child or children who would meet the definition of your child, step-child or adopted child under immigration law, then your spouse’s child cannot derive benefits from the I-130 that you file for your spouse and you will need to file a separate Form I-130 for each child. That's on www.uscis.gov. As far as the child, it depends on certain factors if he even meets the definition of a child. I'd recommend that you go to www.uscis.gov, click on about us (top right hand side), to the left go to electronic reading room, click on that arrow and go to the customer service reference guide for U.S. Citizens. This Customer Service Reference Guide provides information on the services provided by USCIS. This guide is a duplicate of the information used by the representatives at the National Customer Service Center to answer calls on our toll free numbers. --taken from the website. The third one down is Benefits for U.S. Citizens.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.