Jump to content

Registering US-born child with UK

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone

My wife gave birth to our daughter here in the US in March. I was born in the UK, originally came over on the K-1 visa but now have US citizenship. My wife is a US citizen.

I wanted to register my daughter's birth with the UK through the 'Register a birth abroad' - but after looking into this I don't understand why this option is available when I can just go ahead and get her a British passport at any time I like.

What is the advantage to registering her birth with the UK as opposed to just getting her a British passport? I guess I am just a bit confused as to why registering the birth without applying for a passport is even an option.

Are there any advantages to doing the registering a birth abroad process rather than just going straight for the passport?


Edited by BoggleHead

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need a birth certificate to be able to apply for a British passport. I think that's the reason why you need to register your daughter's birth abroad first.

Perhaps email the passport service in the UK and ask them what the steps are that you need to take.

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox
8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received
8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail
3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)
3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC
3/31/2015 - NVC Received
4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned
4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy
4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received
4/11/2015 - Medical
4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received
4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent
4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received
5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED
5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier
6/1/2015 - POE
6/14/2015 - Wedding

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there

Really interesting you should bring this up, because I was about to register the birth abroad and pay the associated fees when I happened to notice that you can just go straight for the UK passport provided one parent is a UK citizen.

Contrary to what the poster above writes you don't need a UK birth certificate for the child to get a UK passport, just one parent's UK certificate.

So I completely agree with you - registering the birth abroad just seems completely and utterly pointless! I'll be going straight for the passport for our daughter.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need to do the register a birth abroad to get the passport. There must be a reason they have it for some people.

We didn't do it for my daughter and we just got her British passport using her American birth certificate and my UK birth cert and passport.

There's no real rush either. We travelled back and forth to the UK using her American passport for several years before bothering to get the UK one.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

After looking into this some more it looks as though the main advantage is when/if I want to get her a passport, I can simply use the UK birth record rather than having to submit her US birth certificate, my marriage certificate and my birth certificate. So, a little easier when going for a passport in the future and perhaps for proving entitlement to citizenship(?) in the interim?

Edited by BoggleHead

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.