cdngrl

K-1 Visa - not in time for wedding

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

OK, to continue with my obsession over this topic ..

First off, my FI and I thought we were being 110% realistic when we planned our wedding a year from the date we filed for our K-1 (April 2006 - our wedding is in mid-May 2007). And yes, this was OUR mistake .. absolutely. ... but who knew?? I mean .. we know now don't we (referring to all us VJ'ers). It looks like I'll be lucky to get my appointment in time for my wedding.

has anyone had this happen to them? what do you do? go over and have a 'fake' marriage with the reception as planned/booked, then come back to Canada and start over by applying for a K-3 ... no way .. not after we've spent the past year filling out forms, sending in evidence, etc. etc. the date of the wedding cannot be changed either ... toooo many things booked ... too many deposits, etc .. and i know we will not be able to get another date in that area during the summer.

thank god my current employer is flexible with my 'end date' ... which was at one point in time Jan 31, 2007. yeah right. friggin hilarious.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you absolutely cannot cancel the wedding, you would have to start all over again with a K3. Only other option would be to have the wedding/reception without actually saying the vows officially I guess.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not sure it's a mistake. You took the information that was provided to you and made a judgement call based that info. Things changed, information wasn't accurate, whatever......... How were you supposed to know that would happen? A mistake would be if you took the information and disregarded it, which you didn't. Sure there will be those who will get on their high horse and say( using 20/20 backward vision) you shouldn't have. Well screw them.............life is about planning.......if you didn't have a plan you'd be ridiculed for that too.

Go forward with your plans........have a backup plan..........like go through the motions but dont register the marriage til you're legal..........a sort of " spiritual union "if you will.

Good Luck to you...........and don't give up hope for it all working out........it still might.

google.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Why not have the mother of all engagement parties? Then elope for the wedding once you have the visa.

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

From your timeline: of they're predicting your interview for March, you should have the visa by May. Another possibility: can you get your petition transferred to Vancouver?

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Timeline

Thanks for the advice fellow Vj's .. you guys made me feel a bit better.

Yep, we'd be doing the spiritual union thing and would get legally married after the consulate appointment. I think that's the plan. It will seem strange walking down the aisle (or in my case a park path) knowing that I'm not really getting married.

However .. it may all work out just fine. Time will tell .. but getting comfortable with this new backup plan is probably wise.

.. and no ... we can't transfer our case to Vancouver .. someone in a similar situation just looked into that and they won't allow them because their address isn't in Western Canada (nor is mine).

Being the eternal optimist, I'd take a deeeeeeeep breath and think about this. If your interview is in March, April, or heck, even a week before your wedding, unless you seriously think you won't get the visa, you'll have it and can still get down here for the wedding!

If all else fails, walking down the garden path with your friends and family looking on, will still be a precious time for you. You can have a civil ceremony when you are able to later.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you! Let us know as soon as you hear about an interview date!

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Why not have the mother of all engagement parties? Then elope for the wedding once you have the visa.

This one looks like the best option, IMO.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's possible that you'll still get an interview in March or April. As others have said before, Montreal tends to say whatever they want to get people to go away. If they're scheduling 4 months, then you should, at the latest get your interview date for April 21 (4 months from when you sent in your checklist).

Seems to me that no one here has received a March date from Montreal. I wouldn't be surprised if they start rolling in March and April interviews soon (and hopefully yours will be part of that batch!) :)

If worse comes to worse, have the reception since you can't change any of that and have the wedding when you get the visa.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline
It's possible that you'll still get an interview in March or April. As others have said before, Montreal tends to say whatever they want to get people to go away. If they're scheduling 4 months, then you should, at the latest get your interview date for April 21 (4 months from when you sent in your checklist).

Seems to me that no one here has received a March date from Montreal. I wouldn't be surprised if they start rolling in March and April interviews soon (and hopefully yours will be part of that batch!) :)

If worse comes to worse, have the reception since you can't change any of that and have the wedding when you get the visa.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

thanks Misa .. .and to everyone else. Sometimes you just need a good listening ear (or rather .. reading eyes and listening ear) from someone going thru the same thing .... to vent .. and to calm ones' nerves down.

whew ... already feeling a bit better. it's good to not feel alone in times like these ....

:)

Timeline

Hi Cdngrl,

You're not the only one who's worried that you won't get your visa in time. Just this morning I was checking your timeline to see if you'd received anything yet. My fiance and I sent in our checklist on Dec 19 and our wedding is also set for May 19/07. We've booked the church, made all of the deposits and many of my out of town guests have already made their travel arrangements. Needless to say I've been freaking out at the thought of not getting my visa on time. It's like pulling teeth to get any information from Montreal, but my fiance called Monday and the person there said that I should probably be receiving an interview sometime in late March or early April, so this should probably be the same for you since our timelines are so similar. Hopefully there's some truth to that and they weren't just saying whatever to get off the phone. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the both of us.

Timeline

You girls are breaking my heart!! My deepest darkest fear is that in a few months I am going to be have the same thoughts you are. (I am starting to book for my August 18 wedding and I am just sending in my checklist this week). I know "Theoretically" it should be ok, but there is just no way to tell with Montreal.

Let me just say that along with prayers for my own visa interview, you are all in my thoughts!!

Laura

(And yeah... I know you are freaking out, but it really feels nice to know I am not the only one in the world with panicked thoughts about this).

.. and no ... we can't transfer our case to Vancouver .. someone in a similar situation just looked into that and they won't allow them because their address isn't in Western Canada (nor is mine).

Actually, there have been members on here who have had their petitions transferred to Vancouver though their addy is not in western Canada. They do require that you provide them with an address, but I do remember one member simply telling them that it was easier to get to Vancouver and they would be out there during that time visiting relatives. I am almost positive it was Bebop .. you may want to ask her about it.

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Timeline
Hi Cdngrl,

You're not the only one who's worried that you won't get your visa in time. Just this morning I was checking your timeline to see if you'd received anything yet. My fiance and I sent in our checklist on Dec 19 and our wedding is also set for May 19/07. We've booked the church, made all of the deposits and many of my out of town guests have already made their travel arrangements. Needless to say I've been freaking out at the thought of not getting my visa on time. It's like pulling teeth to get any information from Montreal, but my fiance called Monday and the person there said that I should probably be receiving an interview sometime in late March or early April, so this should probably be the same for you since our timelines are so similar. Hopefully there's some truth to that and they weren't just saying whatever to get off the phone. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the both of us.

thanks charmie :) wow ... how our cases are so very parallel eh? i'm starting to think a bit more positive today actually. i can deal with late march / early april .. or even late april. thanks for adding a bit more hope to my fluctuating hope :) i wish you the very best as well. i guess we'll be checking each others timelines like it's mad in the next couple of months. i'll be on VJ at least once a day .. and promise to post updates as soon as I get them....

and to think .. at one point in time i was worried i would get my visa too early (insert me LMAO here)

yeah . you NEVER can tell with Montreal. we should call this thread the Panic Room

and Laura0588 .. thanks for you thoughts and prayers .. right back at ya! although heck, i would certainly hope an August wedding date is far enough away ..... friggin montreal..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.