Chevyyyc

Rescheduling an interview due to pregnancy?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there,

I am a Canadian citizen, married to an American citizen (as of 6/7/2014) and am currently waiting for an interview date. We filed the initial paperwork in September 2014, and found out that I was pregnant in October 2014. I am currently in the US visiting on a B2 (was issued end of February) visa that expires on August 6th, and my baby is due July 11th. We have decided that I will have the baby here so that he can be present, and of course we want to be together during my pregnancy and the birth of our first child. If we do not have our interview/get approved before my B2 is up, I will travel back to Canada with my newborn to wait for my interview.

When this was issued, the officer was reluctant as I am not currently working, and I didn't appear to have real firm ties to Canada, except that I would have to go back for my visa interview. He told me not to stay longer than a month and to be very careful being in the US while my IR-1 was processing. We later called and talked to the chief of immigration, and she told us that it was "fine" that I stay here until the B2 expires in August, and that it wont affect my IR-1 whatsoever. I am still a little freaked out by this conflicting information, as I don’t want my visiting to affect my visa, or be seen as a conflict of interest. But I am going to assume she knows what she's talking about- considering she is the chief.

We were (wishfully) hoping that my visa interview would be scheduled before I had to head back home in August, but it's not looking like that will be the case at this point. We called NVC, and asked for a estimate on when our visa interview might be according to our priority date, and she told us they were booking mid June. Unfortunately, I cannot fly after 35 weeks and wouldn't be able to make the journey by plane. The officer advised us to make a case for it to be expedited with a doctors note stating that I would not be able to fly to the interview if it were to be booked after mid May. It was denied. So at this point, we are waiting to hear back regarding when our interview might be..Just for us to have to rebook it. I am also concerned about the medical, as they will likely issue me physicians in my home city in Canada, not where I am currently visiting in the US.

I guess my questions are as follows:
- Can I have my medical done here in the US? Will I have to ask them to issue me the names of local physicians in the area in which my husband lives?
- Does anyone know what the process is for rescheduling interviews? What is the average time frame? It would be a shame to be put out again by months because I cannot attend my scheduled interview.
- Has anyone ever had issues with their spousal visas due to visiting while it was processing? (note- I will have stayed here for the 6 months in it's entirety- not traveling back to Canada until it expires)
- What happens if (heaven forbid) I cannot return to Canada before my B2 expiry date due to medical issues with myself or my newborn? (I know this is unlikely- but I am trying to consider all variables here)

This whole thing is incredibly stressful- I know ultimately the safest thing for me to do would be to remain in Canada, have the baby there and wait for my interview. However, It's heartbreaking to imagine going through all of this for the first time without my spouse, and we want nothing more than to be together. However, we don't want to jeopardize anything, or be flagged, or have anything being seen as a conflict of interest.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Personally I do not think it smart to have the baby there unless fully covered medically. You're from canada, free birth and medical care! Why not return and have the father visit for the birth?

Also, unless told otherwise by your doctor, most airlines will slow you to fly after 35 weeks: http://www.babycenter.com/0_airline-policies-for-pregnant-travelers_6976.bc

Edited by Transborderwife

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there,

I do have full medical coverage here in the US. My husband is a farm manager with over 800 sheep. It is very difficult for him to get away for more than a couple of days at a time.

I have been specifically told I cannot fly past 35 weeks, unfortunately. :(

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Ahh ok fair enough, was just curious. I as well am Canadian and expecting. I chose to come back to canada instead of stay and adjust due to some messy problems with finalizing my divorce with a previous partner. I feel your pain and frustration.

medical must be done in Canada. As long as you do not overstay more than 180 days you do not incur a ban.

Where are you in your process? :time:

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.